External Speaker Not Turning Off When I Plug In Wired Headphones

Yesterday, I was swinging on Melbourne Beach, which was a mistake, because I didn't realize that they had recently brought in tons and tons of new sand to replenish the beach from Hurricane Irma damage.  Very few targets.
That being said, I was using a pair of headphones with a 1/8th plug. They worked really well with threshhold and other volumes set to counter wind noise on the beach. The problem is that the speaker would sound off as well when any non-ferrous target was swept...and at full volume. Even felt the vibration from speaker.  I also noticed that the headphone icon on the display would momentarily blank out whenever that happened. I'm confused.  Don't want the speaker active when I'm on headphones.  
Any ideas??

P.S. - One coin (clad quarter) for 2.5 hours of swinging! Ugh.  Found a number of small bottles used for drawing medication into a syringe. Hoping it was for someone with diabetes on the beach, and not some other nefarious purpose, like steroids, or other nasties. Pull tabs all registered at 14. screwtops at 17-20.

Yes. The 1/8" plug is not seating well in the headphone socket. I noticed this right away with my 600 and provided phones.

To have the headphone cable hanging out of the detector head is a bad swivel point in my estimation. What I did was put a 1/8" male to male cord into the detector control box, and string it along the bottom of the shaft to below the arm cup, where I tie wrapped a female to female adapter. Now the phones cord comes out of the back of the detector shaft in a much better position for swinging. It is solid enough to put a 1/8" - /14" male-male adapter for other headphones as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SittingElf said:

I was using a pair of headphones with a 1/8th plug.

The way you say that makes me think you are not using the Minelab headphones. Minelab wires the CTX 3030, GPZ 7000, Gold Monster, and now Equinox in such a way that stereo headphones must be wired correctly to cut out the external speaker. Sun Ray makes two versions of the Sun Ray Pro Gold because of this.

The right mono to stereo adapter can solve the problem. Or you have the right headphones and the jack is not seated properly! I did have this happen myself. :smile:

minelab-ctx-gpz-wireless-module-headphone-wiring-page-2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You're right. Was using some Koss phones. 
Not an issue though in another couple of weeks. I just ordered the Mpow New EQ+APP Bluetooth 4.2 Wireless Headphones With Mic CSR 8670 APTX Low Latency Headset for just under $53.00 on AliExpress, shipped.

Some on here have been saying they're even better than the ML-80's coming with my 800, but I'll use the Mpow's on the 600 as well for wireless. In the meantime, I'll go back to the uncomfortable phones that came with the 600 which are On-Ear, not Over-Ear, and with my big head, they ride high on my ears. (Not enough extension...grrr!)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mpow-New-EQ-APP-Bluetooth-4-2-Wireless-Headphones-With-Mic-APTX-Low-Latency-Headset-Earphone/32848651952.html

Amazon Link

• Like 1