I think now when looking at a larger piece of man made gold and the sensitivity of the Nox we need to be concerned with the other metals in the mix.

The number for this chain is 13.  I know most of my nickels come in at 15.  Copper/zinc pennies come in at 20-22 it seems.  Silver is higher and gold is lower.

This  is the makeup of 14K White Gold: 58.5% fine gold, 12%copper, 8% nickel, 6% zinc, and 4.5% silver

Congrats on the nice chunk of 14k.  How do you tear yourself away from all that cuteness to even go metal detecting?  Does he need an extra grandma?  :wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mitchel, as a hard core California beach detector, what scoop do you like?

Tim

1 hour ago, Tmox said:

Mitchel, as a hard core California beach detector, what scoop do you like?

Tim

I have used several scoops over the years.  The one I use now is stainless steel and heavier than the detector.  It is one of the Eastern European makes that I can use with one foot and one arm while holding the detector in the other.  It is more like a shovel.  The other type I use if there are shallow targets is the basket scoop that you pull towards you.  Both types now have a long handle. 

• Thanks 1

I went back out this afternoon and nothing much on the beach.  I took the chain with me to test.

When in the dry sand I found a target.  It was a 13 and when I dug it up it was a rusty bottle cap.  I took the chain and put it near and it was also a 13 but solid and not popping.  I put them close to each other with the chain in a ball and stretched out long and it sounded the same.  I pumped on both targets.  There was no negative number or low sound with the gold but there was with the cap.

It's too bad the numbers are so close together.  I wonder what I missed with the 3030 by not digging caps.

Mitchel

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mn90403 said:

It's too bad the numbers are so close together.  I wonder what I missed with the 3030 by not digging caps.

Mitchel

Nice chain Mitchel..I don’t think you missed anything with the 3030 it it disks out caps better then the 800. Remember these are robots telling you what to dig and not to dig. 

Strick

3 hours ago, strick said:

Nice chain Mitchel..I don’t think you missed anything with the 3030 it it disks out caps better then the 800. Remember these are robots telling you what to dig and not to dig. 

Strick

Yes, but was there a chain or two in those caps I didn't even try to dig?  I know I tested the cap and bobby pin and they were reliable enough to depend on but I did find a couple of cap treasures.  I just can't remember them.  Now that I have this I'll take the 3030 out and test it.  I have not used it since the Nox arrived.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2018 at 6:02 PM, mn90403 said:

I think now when looking at a larger piece of man made gold and the sensitivity of the Nox we need to be concerned with the other metals in the mix.

The number for this chain is 13.  I know most of my nickels come in at 15.  Copper/zinc pennies come in at 20-22 it seems.  Silver is higher and gold is lower.

This  is the makeup of 14K White Gold: 58.5% fine gold, 12%copper, 8% nickel, 6% zinc, and 4.5% silver

Good point.

On 4/14/2018 at 12:29 AM, mn90403 said:

I went back out this afternoon and nothing much on the beach.  I took the chain with me to test.

When in the dry sand I found a target.  It was a 13 and when I dug it up it was a rusty bottle cap.  I took the chain and put it near and it was also a 13 but solid and not popping.  I put them close to each other with the chain in a ball and stretched out long and it sounded the same.  I pumped on both targets.  There was no negative number or low sound with the gold but there was with the cap.

Mitchel

Good test.  It didn't have to be balled up after all.

• Thanks 1