Equinox - The Eagle Has Landed!

You gotta love it when that happens!  Both with the 40-foot putts, AND with the finds, while detecting!

Great day Chase!

Steve

• Thanks 1

There you go!  You had a great day.  Thanks for sharing it.

Even a Goldman can chase down good targets with the Equinox.

You help and you are helped.  Thanks.

Mitchel

• Thanks 1

Fantastic :biggrin: I've never found an eagle, wow you've got a great place to hunt.  Thanks for sharing your story.....

• Thanks 1

First off, thanks everyone for the kind words and congrats.  I am still pinching myself to have finally broken through with a plate.  But now with the post plate hangover setting in, just wanted to say a few more things about the circumstances as they relate to the Equinox.

None of the finds shown was very deep.  They mostly tumbled out with the plug.  That is the nature of this site.  If you are digging to china, then you have probably stumbled onto the gas line that runs diagonally through the property.  It sounds sweet to every detector and we are all embarrassed to say it has fooled most of the repeat visitors to this site at least once.  That being said,  the 40 foot putt analogy by me was WAY over the top (still giddy and punch drunk at the time, I guess) because I am sure any beep-dig machine would have heard those targets because they were not whispers or peeps.  But the Equinox factor still stands, it was the way the targets sounded that made them no brainer digs with the Equinox because for the plate, at least, I believe many before me have given up on the area because of the aluminum blobs.  To get an idea of what I was dealing with see the attached pic.  Those are not rocks.  Those are solid, molten aluminum blobs except for the bolt and the crushed can.  Those are the targets I dug in the vicinity BEFORE I started hitting the CW targets.  I am still amazed that plate had not been badly dinged by the plow after all these years.

The silver was just pure persistence.  I knew the area were others before me had pulled 19th century silver in three hunts before, and I was not going to be denied this time.  I had found everything in that keeper pic except the Seated and one of the minie's in about the first 1/2 hour of the hunt.  We spent 2.5 hours there.  I found the second minie and the Seated in the last 1/2 hour of the hunt.

20180415_093500.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A civil war era belt plate (a breast plate would work too!) has been on my bucket list for a while, but their not easy to find on the west coast.  A buddy and I have a civil war era union army camp that we've discovered, we've likely pulled a couple of hundred eagle buttons, and many other related relics, and a couple of coins (seated half, seated half dime, it's been ultra stingy on coins!).  Always figured it would be a good candidate for a gold coin, but given how stingy it's been on silver coins, I don't know.   I've been dying to take the EQ800 there, because it has very funky mineralized soil (alkali) that severely handicaps my VLF machines, I suspect the EQ800 is going to lit the place up like Christmas!

Congrats again, that's a bucket lister for most of us I'm sure :happy:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cal_Cobra said:

A civil war era belt plate (a breast plate would work too!) has been on my bucket list for a while, but their not easy to find on the west coast.  A buddy and I have a civil war era union army camp that we've discovered, we've likely pulled a couple of hundred eagle buttons, and many other related relics, and a couple of coins (seated half, seated half dime, it's been ultra stingy on coins!).  Always figured it would be a good candidate for a gold coin, but given how stingy it's been on silver coins, I don't know.   I've been dying to take the EQ800 there, because it has very funky mineralized soil (alkali) that severely handicaps my VLF machines, I suspect the EQ800 is going to lit the place up like Christmas!

Congrats again, that's a bucket lister for most of us I'm sure :happy:

Cal - absolutely hit that site hard, especially with the Equinox.  With that many buttons and other evidence of a prolonged CW era military presence, there are bound to be plates and other goodies lurking, you are just going to have to continue to be persistent.  They are there, believe me.  Over here, CW period coins at encampment sites are really hard to come by.  I have found a grand total of...2, an IHP 1864 fatty and the Seated.  In the big digs back here, Seateds are found but rare, more often it is IHPs, Flying Eagle cents and trimes.  Though the occasional cache of gold coins is found that someone forgot about or was unable to return to claim because they became a casualty of war.  I'm reminded of the quote by Col. Bat Guano when being asked for 55 cents by Group Captain Mandrake so that he can call the President about General Jack Ripper's nuclear strike on the Soviets (in the movie "Dr. Strangelove...") - "Well you don't think I would go into combat with loose change in my pocket, do ya?" 

• Like 3