Book Excerpt : " Iron Bias "

cjc

Thanks for posting this. I'm convinced...and ordered!

On 4/16/2018 at 6:48 AM, SittingElf said:

Hope you like it--Im going to send one to Steve and see what he thinks as well.

Regards,

clive

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cjc said:
On 4/16/2018 at 6:48 AM, SittingElf said:

Hope you like it--Im going to send one to Steve and see what he thinks as well.

Ordered mine yesterday.  I'll write a review for the detectorprospector.com/forum if no one beats me to it (or if I don't agree with the ones that do :biggrin:).

• Like 2

Clive 

Good explanation of iron bias but I wish you spent a little more text addressing the potential tradeoff of utilizing iron bias as the quoted phrase below is rather vague.

On 4/15/2018 at 8:37 AM, cjc said:

It’s worth noting though that because all metal in the ground “mixes” with it’s signal (corroded or not), using high levels of “Iron Bias” acts to reduce detection of all targets

Specifically, empirical testing by Equinox users here, has shown that even low levels of iron bias tends to preclude unmasking of desirable non-ferrous targets hiding amongst thick iron.  So there is not just a depth impact to using iron bias as implied in your write-up, there is a target separation impact as well.  Your statement above does not contradict these test results but it also doesn't provide a clear caution to the reader of specific situations where applying iron bias might not be optimal.  The "no free lunch" axiom I apply to any sophisticated filter features MD manufacturers incorporate into their detectors like the "Silencer" filter setting on the Deus almost always applies.  After all, ML apparently shied away from iron bias default settings other than zero for most modes. 

Now that I am getting used to the Equinox target audio clues, I now like to run it at or near the default for a given mode, and that means I am mostly running it at 0 even under circumstances where the iron is spread out.

Appreciate your feedback as you are obviously very knowledgeable on the topic based on the book excerpts you have graciously provided for our perusal.

Thanks.

• Like 3

On 4/18/2018 at 10:38 AM, Chase Goldman said:

Clive 

Good explanation of iron bias but I wish you spent a little more text addressing the potential tradeoff of utilizing iron bias as the quoted phrase below is rather vague.

Specifically, empirical testing by Equinox users here, has shown that even low levels of iron bias tends to preclude unmasking of desirable non-ferrous targets hiding amongst thick iron.  So there is not just a depth impact to using iron bias as implied in your write-up, there is a target separation impact as well.  Your statement above does not contradict these test results but it also doesn't provide a clear caution to the reader of specific situations where applying iron bias might not be optimal.  The "no free lunch" axiom I apply to any sophisticated filter features MD manufacturers incorporate into their detectors like the "Silencer" filter setting on the Deus almost always applies.  After all, ML apparently shied away from iron bias default settings other than zero for most modes. 

Now that I am getting used to the Equinox target audio clues, I now like to run it at or near the default for a given mode, and that means I am mostly running it at 0 even under circumstances where the iron is spread out.

Appreciate your feedback as you are obviously very knowledgeable on the topic based on the book excerpts you have graciously provided for our perusal.

Thanks.

That's true, Chase it's not much of a warning especially when you compare any bias setting to something that's wide open in the iron like an Impact.  I do give a more direct warning about using the pre-set of "6" in either of the Beach modes and suggest looking for other ways to accomplish stability or in iron definition.  It's a "cheat" like Auto Sens on the CTX--no substitute for good audio recognition and target testing.  

Thanks for your feedback first I've had!  Want a comp?  Shoot over your address. 

regards

clive

• Thanks 1

Fred, do you mean tracking GB?  Auto GB is like a manual ground grab but without having to hit the +/- buttons while you pump or sweep.

If you meant continuous tracking, there are situations where continuous tracking does not work well, specifically when there is not enough ground mineralization to get a decent ground grab.  In that case, the GB algorithm is essentially guessing what GB should be and may give you a bad reading.  Under conditions of low mineralization it is best to attempt a single ground grab (manual or auto) or just set GB near the mode's GB default setting which is typically zero. 

Multi IQ does a pretty good job compensating for an imprecise ground phase setting, so unless ground phase is varying by more than 10 to 15 points (which typically indicates variations in ground mineraluza tion) there actually is no need to do frequent rebalancing.  Let your ears decide whether you should rebalance as ground noise, especially in All Metal mode, will tend to increase if the machine's ground phase setting is significantly out of balance with the actual ground phase. 

For situations where there is highly variable ground phase due to mineralization, black sand, or variations in beach salinity, don't be afraid to put the machine in tracking GB.  As long as there is enough mineralization or salinity variation for the machine to detect and grab onto, tracking works well with no noticeable downside.

HTH