Does Iron Bias Actually Work When In Single Frequency?

Mark T

I noticed that when you are using a single frequency you can not alter the iron bias setting so does this mean that it is set at the setting you have got it set at when you switched from multi to single ? or does iron bias not work at all in single frequency?

9 hours ago, vive equinox said:

So what isthe value of iron bias in simple frequency?  

The value of setting usine mode ? 

Does it change in the unique frequency if we move iron bias in the multi? 

Iron Bias uses the mulifrequency aspect of MultiIQ to get multiple ferrous/non-ferrous component readings on a target to determine the probability that the target is solely ferrous and route that signal through the iron bias masking filter to prevent the iron falsing tone from reaching your ears.  In single frequency there are insufficient data points to make that determination. 

Only guessing as to how much of the heavy lifting is done by the multi frequency transmission/return vs. the MultiIQ signal processing.  In other words I can only guess whether Multi IQ does its signal processing magic only in Multi Frequency or if it does do a subset of its processing magic in single frequency and the output is limited solely by the fact that it is only being fed single frequency data.  But it is clear that as far as iron bias is concerned, it gets a single frequency mode status input and locks down iron bias (either bypassing it altogether (most likely) or by using a non-user adjustable default setting when the mode iron bias default setting is other than 0 such as in Park 1).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dubious said:

I have been getting the impression that while the Nox offers single frequency use, it's in a somewhat rudimentary form and not really encouraged.

Rudimentary only in the sense that any single frequency machine is rudimentary compared to Multi IQ.  You still have disc, GB, tone options, multiple selectable single frequencies, and variable recovery speed.  I would likely still preferentially take the Equinox out of the car vs. almost any other single frequency machine even if I could only operate it in single freq mode.

That being said, single frequency implementation in Equinox does feel like it was done because it could be done not because ML wanted to do it.  It does serve some niche purposes such as last ditch interference mitigation and IMO a cumbersome method to ID non-ferrous and mixed ferrous/non-ferrous junk targets.  But all in all it smacks of ML offering comfort food enticement to those traditionalists not comfortable with Multi Frequency technology but who are attracted to the Equinox price point.

Whatever ML's motivation for implementing single frequency in Equinox, I am glad they did do it and am fine with the implementation compromises they had to make.

In fact, I wish they would have let us live on the edge (lol) and allowed single frequency in Beach mode.