Equinox Issue With 2 Euro Coin & Trash Overlapping?

I have not bought a Nox yet and only have minimal time on a friends machine but have seen what it can do along side me. It has impressed me as a relic/hammered coin hunter, I have seen a lot of deep targets of all sizes and conductivity come up, especially coins on edge that other detectors just missed, I am very impressed in that respect.

Where I am not impressed at all is modern coin shooting. Euro coin hunting and in particular the VDI's produced in multi for a €2 coin conflicts with a a lot of modern junk. Unlike all other detectors I have used, including the CTX, in multi, the VDI for a €2 coin is 15/16, crown caps are producing the same VDI and even worse still square pull tabs of beer cans, like Heineken cans produce the same 15/16 VDI. Most festivals over here are sponsored by Heineken lol. This was observed in Park1/Field1, in Park2/Field2 things seam to only get worse. Using the Nox in 5khz helps where crown caps rise up to 28/30 and the €2 rises up to 20/21 and every thing stays the same.

Problem solved, well no, in 5khz you cant tell the difference between a 10c euro coin and €2, thus a lot of time is wasted digging low value 10c coins when I could be concentrating on higher value coins apart from the fact that 5khz is not the optimal frequency for mid range conductors the Euro coins are. This might not be a problem for most people but as festival site hunting is a big part of my livelihood its a problem for me. Looks like I am stuck with the cute little French thing unless Minelab are planning to spread out the VDI range in a future date???? 

I have not done tests on UK £1/£2 coins yet but as they fall into the same range as Euro coins and they are bimetal, I can see problems as well. How are the park hunters in the US doing??

As far as U.S. parks go there is no real difference between Equinox and every other machine I have used that depends on a single VDI number for target id. The target id spread from the X-Terra 705 was nearly doubled. Certainly no advantage to a Deus here in a modern park over an Equinox. My number one trash problem in the past was single frequency detectors like the Deus upscaling aluminum into the high coin range in my soil, causing just the problem you are talking about. Equinox seems to have eliminated that as an issue for me so I am digging less trash in modern U.S. parks with the Equinox, not more. I almost never dig a crown cap while coin hunting parks. However, I do recover some aluminum in the nickel range.

If the Deus is working great for you I don't see a problem anyway. You can just stick with it, right?

• Like 3

I actually hate the Deus and only have it because its so light and fast, when digging 500+ targets a day its a must. I was really looking forward to the weight of a Deus with the id capabilities of the CTX. To say I am a little pi'ed off would be an under statement. Just what they thinking making them all have the same VDI is beyond me??? Thank God I did not pre order one, I just cant afford to have multiple machines, as it stands I don't have a beach Id machine or a prospecting vlf. The nox sounded like the perfect solution. From what I have heard a lot of Euro coin hunters are not happy at all. Steve you are always saying Minelab will read good posts so here go's. 

Minelab, the 2 most modern common trash items producing the same VDI as a €2 coin, the premier coin for over 350 million people, just what were you thinking of?? Were there one testers in the Eurozone??  If I am coming over as anti Minelab, I am not, I am just pi'ed off.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

Hate is a strong word....So what detector has worked the best for you in the problem you are sharing with us about the Equinox?

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

Its a toss up between the Deus and the Rutus Alter 71. The Rutus has slightly better id capabilities than the Deus but the ability of the Deus to lock onto and pinpoint a target trumps the Rutus. The best detector, id wise by a long shot was the CTX but it was just to slow and heavy.

1 hour ago, Ringmoney said:

From what I have heard a lot of Euro coin hunters are not happy at all.

Do you have any links to posts by anyone who owns an Equinox using it to recover €2 coins who is angry about all the trash they are digging in the process? I follow several UK forums and have not seen this raised as a problem until now. In fact when Googling the issue the only thread I could find was this one.

• Like 1

You should see my post linked below regarding the military breast plate I dug up yesterday and how it rang up similar to melted aluminum trash blobs and cans I also found in the field.  Solid round objects like coins and certain relics have a more pronounced tonal quality that after training your ear for awhile becomes unmistakeable amongst the trash.  The high variability of in situ VDI on the target and "hollowness" of the tone really makes asymmetric trash and aluminum screw caps pretty much evident as silver and even clad coinage or historical relics stand out and hit you in the face with their pure tonality.  I found the same thing with Deus and it was almost a necessity to learn because the VDI is no where near as stable,. accurate, or present at depth as the Equinox.  If you are hunting purely by VDI and tone (and not really listening to "tonality") you are indeed going to continue to frustrate yourself and be held back in your ability to capture the keepers from the trash.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Do you have any links to posts by anyone who owns an Equinox using it to recover €2 coins who is angry about all the trash they are digging in the process? I follow several UK forums and have not seen this raised as a problem until now. In fact when Googling the issue the only thread I could find was this one.

Not really Steve unless you want to join a specific brand forum and make 500 posts you can make/see posts on other brand detectors. I don't really do other forums any more but it has being reported on the Equinox Users group on facebook, I also had 3 different people pm me saying I will not be happy with it with my type of hunting and no I will not name them.

As for the UK, they are not in the Eurozone are they? :wink: hence why I was asking had any one tested the response to the new £1 and £2 coins, both of which are now bi-metal and fall into the same range on other detectors.

Its not rocket science, the €2 at the best of times gives a junky signal and according to the VDI chart published by Minelab the €2 has a VDI of 16, all that has to be done is test some square tabs and crown caps. 

Don't get me wrong I am very impressed with the Nox as a relic hunter. Not all bi metal coins have the same junky signal as the €2, the €1 is rock solid, I am just wondering about the new bi-metal UK and  Turkish coins also. 

If it has not being reported up to now, well it is now, right? :biggrin:

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

You should see my post linked below regarding the military breast plate I dug up yesterday and how it rang up similar to melted aluminum trash blobs and cans I also found in the field.  Solid round objects like coins and certain relics have a more pronounced tonal quality that after training your ear for awhile becomes unmistakeable amongst the trash.  The high variability of in situ VDI on the target and "hollowness" of the tone really makes asymmetric trash and aluminum screw caps pretty much evident as silver and even clad coinage or historical relics stand out and hit you in the face with their pure tonality.  I found the same thing with Deus and it was almost a necessity to learn because the VDI is no where near as stable,. accurate, or present at depth as the Equinox.  If you are hunting purely by VDI and tone (and not really listening to "tonality") you are indeed going to continue to frustrate yourself and be held back in your ability to capture the keepers from the trash.

I know exactly know what you are talking about but the particular make up of the €2 coin makes it sound junky on most machines and thus VDI identification is a must. Just look at what changing the frequency on the nox above does to the vdi of the €2 which is very like what happens to crown caps. 

Well, I mentioned to have the same problem. All the Euro clad lies pretty darn close together and / or next to trash. On my fisher those targets were miles apart and you could always distinguish 1€ and 2€ from pulltabs and so on..

today I found a 2€ piece which came in at 16.. sometimes 17 or 15. Old Pulltabs come in at 15/16.. 585 gold ring 16.

• Like 3