Has Anyone Used Plastidip For Pinpointer Tip Protection?

Thinking about using PlastiDip for protecting the tip of my pinpointers and extending their life.

Anyone tried that? Looking for experience and views.

Cheers

c2610080-dd5e-40ff-a5c4-0fd5c7c7680d_1.868d7ecfd6386829fbee1908eada218f.jpeg.56b42aad20f6fe175ae537cc1cecd970.jpeg

• Like 1

There's no way plasti-dip will withstand the hard use of a probe

but there is a non-metalic epoxy that might be helpful if that is really what you want to do.

You can get an aerosol can of rubberised coating from auto shops that is very hard wearing.  Used it in the past to coat the underside of the coils that had no skid plate, don't think I ever had the need to recoat them from memory.  Initially picked up on the idea when some beach hunters were using it on their coils for increased longevity.

• Like 3

I did it to my Propointer 2 years ago and it still looks great.  

I plan on doing it again when my Carrot gets here 

I don’t know how thick the coat is when using a covering over the tip, I can tell you I would lose any available detection “at the tip” on my f-Pulse when sampling micro jewelry or gold earring posts, small rings. That’s on its highest setting (audible and vibratory). 

This is after testing the PI tech in my new pin pointer. May even lose more sensitivity with VLF tech, I don’t know but I would test it out before covering tip. 

• 4 weeks later...

i am new to sport but i used .750 shrink  tubing i got from a truck repair shop-they use it on battery cables when they repair the ends on them. its pretty thick and when you heat it up it shrinks for a firm hold on pointer, i left it a little long so when i heated it up i could squeeze the tip closed to keep out the dirt. i don't think it effects sens. and seems to protect tip really good.

• Like 1

I will have to wear at least one pinpointer all the way through to the electronics before I start worrying about protecting the tip. It honestly does not seem necessary to me, or at least for me and the way I use my pinpointers. You guys must be way more aggressive with yours than I am mine.

• Like 1

If your using the pin pointer as a digger and not the “digger tool”, well yeah then Youl need to modify the tip for protection.

quite frankly, i won’t, and feel like I am damaging a precision tool if I am pushing the tip too hard to the ground even.

• Like 1