Whites TDI Mod Help

I recently acquired a through hole version of the TDI with the sole intent of modifying it to run the 8 uS pulse delay. Does anybody know the procedure for this? I will also need help in getting a coil to run properly with it as well. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I recently acquired a through hole version of the TDI with the sole intent of modifying it to run the 8 uS pulse delay. Does anybody know the procedure for this? I will also need help in getting a coil to run properly with it as well. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Have you read this thread?

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,21401,22055

Ivan

You can send it to Reg Sniff in Pueblo, CO. Just google his name and you'll find out where and how to contact him. He's the TDI guru and does all the mods (or has them done) that will turn your TDI into a brand new machine.

Yes, I have read that and it started off as a great thread until it went off the rails. Thank you

You can send it to Reg Sniff in Pueblo, CO. Just google his name and you'll find out where and how to contact him. He's the TDI guru and does all the mods (or has them done) that will turn your TDI into a brand new machine.

He does appear to be the guru and seems to appear in every search query result related to the mod. On some other posts I have read of his, it seemed as though he was no longer interested in performing the mod or something along those lines. I suppose it would not hurt to ask him. Would hate to bug him though if all that is required is turning a trim pot 14 degrees to the left or something like that. Thank you.

Hey Rick,

No, I am not much for attempting electronic mods. The ATX is only the second time I have done a body modification and that will be the last of those when I ever finish it up. From now on detectors either do what I want or they do not. I will leave the mods to other folks - I would rather be detecting!

I had every intention of testing the porous gold on my TDI but frankly it seemed like a waste of time so I just went ahead and sold it. The TDI has joined a very long list of detectors in my rear view mirror.

Hi DP,

The through the hole TDI can be adjusted to something like 8 usec with a simple turn of a pot.  However, when you do this, most larger coils will not work right.  By larger coils I mean anything greater that maybe 10" diameter.  So, the minimum delay works on something like an 8" mono coil just fine but could be marginal with a 8" by 11" or larger. 

I don't see a way to post a pic from my computer, so email me and I will send you a pic of a GS 5 board showing the proper pot to turn.  The technique is somewhat like you said, turn the pot ccw (counter clockwise).  It will only turn about 1/8 of a turn.  My email address is rgsniff@comcast.net  .  As always, any mod(s) or adjustment(s) by the owner is done at their own expense and are solely responsible for the results. 

One word of caution and that is, do not turn any other internal pots.  All other pots require test equipment to recalibrate the unit and that is a pain to do.  I gave this info to a guy and he was determined to find a pot to turn on the surface mount units.  Since those are microprocessor controlled, there is no pot that will reduce the delay.

Now, on the later surface mount units, I came up with a different mod that works quite well even with a 12" coil.  This mod is part of a combination to reduce the noise warble common to the TDI.  I don't do any mods anymore but friend of mine who is very qualified does them.  Since soldering and other techniques are required, I decided to not make it a do it yourself change. 

Here is a link showing the TDI and the ML2300 on a test of buried targets in bad OZ ground.  The TDI has the mods.

Getting back to the 8 usec mod on the early TDI's, it is a pain taking the TDI apart to make the adjustment.so be careful.

Reg

• Like 1