Equinox Waterproof Headphones From Hungary

2 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Not seeing the “Hungry” part, but I find it interesting the seller resides in Austria yet the phones are shipping from Hungary.

Read the first post. Second sentence!  :tongue:

• Haha 1

MIght be the country SHE doesn't know about......

For the record, I AM Hungarian on my Father's side. Grandfather emigrated in the 20's from what is now a part of Austria. (Burgenland)

• Haha 1

Well ML isnt getting my money for those over priced headphones that fit badly with iffy sound designed for diving.   Sorry... but just to much for what they are.  Cant cost more than $20 to make in bulk.   My other complaint...... people paid big bucks for their CTX...... had they used the same connector for the phones that they did for the coil cable we could have used the ones for the CTX already available.   Ive had SEVERAL Xcals for years....... we complained for YEARS.   ML knows a good many of us that use an Xcal also did a mod to allow us to use the headphones on both machines....... THEIR machines i might add.   Then..... to not even have them available when the waterproof machine hit the street.   Personally...... wait on MAL, GGA, Tony Eisenhower, do your own....... or just make the jack.   Any of those choose are a better option for close to the same price.

3 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Personally...... wait on MAL, GGA, Tony Eisenhower, do your own....... or just make the jack.   Any of those choose are a better option for close to the same price.

+1 for Tony E and a set of WP GG's I had sitting around collecting dust.  Need the connection to work and not leak and don't need to cut back the cord any further because of my super questionable soldering skills ("skills" is really stretching the meaning of the word in my case).  Can't wait.

I, too, was wondering why ML did not just use the same 1/4" WP HP connector as the CTX.  Besides the semi-cynical thought that it was an additional money grab on ML's part, I am wondering whether there was enough depth to accommodate the recessed 1/4" jack depth on the relatively thin control pod.  It looks pretty iffy plus the longer, thicker plug would put a lot of torque stress on the entire assembly.  So IMO it appears to be primarily a design decision helped out by the fact that ML could create an additional accessory universe (and income stream) built around the Equinox.

If ML could marry their incredible in-house MD engineering expertise with a user friendly after market approach using universal, common accessories between detector lines, combined with their demonstrated willingness to crash through some longstsnding detector price barriers, they could be unstoppable.

Chase the connector on the CTX is an M12 not a regular jack.  What they did to make the current connector..... 3.5mm (not 1/4") is take an M12 and put a mono audio jack in it.  What you do is cut the loner arm on the jack down to the same size as the smaller..... then solder a wire to each it should fit right in the M12  flush.  I just used marine epoxy put it in before i pushed the jack in wipped off excess.  We are using a 4 prong M12.... i pulled the prongs then you can either drill 2 holes for the wires or a hole large enough for the cable.  Then a little marine epoxy in the back with the wire and screw down the ikelite nut.  Give it over night and you should be good to go.

Well they arent making any more money on the phones Chase... same as the CTX.   I think it was more in line so people could use ear buds,  and yes maybe the price of accessory cables replacement... and just sort of bring the detector up to current elect specs.... like the USB ect.  

The more options the better in my opinion. The nice thing about a detector being an obvious huge seller is one year from now we will have gone from no accessories to possibly one of the largest arrays of accessories available. Everyone is going to want to jump on the bandwagon making every aftermarket goody that anyone desires.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dewcon4414 said:

Well they arent making any more money on the phones Chase... same as the CTX.

True unless you also have a CTX then you have to buy something additional for the Equinox when you have perfectly good phones (ML or third party) sitting there, that's all I was saying.  If you are part of the ML family, then hand-me-downs would be a nice option.  Not a big deal.  Steve is right, anyway, the Equinox is over the top popular and just like the iPhone, that will spur third parties into action to provide some cool accessories since there will be a big market for them.  The Equinox users win out in the end.

I was saying that too Chase..... ive spend an ungodly amount on money on ML machines... they could have cut us some slack on those phones.  Right now .... it seems to be just having the overseas guys make some VERY VERY overpriced jacks, cables, and phones.

Heres a good example:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-pieces-WATERPROOF-HEADPHONE-FOR-USE-WITH-A-Mi-EQUINOX-600-800-METALDETECTOR/273166040590?hash=item3f99f6fe0e:g:RRoAAOSwb9Baxb-K

6 minutes ago, dewcon4414 said:

I was saying that too Chase..... ive spend an ungodly amount on money on ML machines... they could have cut us some slack on those phones.  Right now .... it seems to be just having the overseas guys make some VERY VERY overpriced jacks, cables, and phones.

Heres a good example:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-pieces-WATERPROOF-HEADPHONE-FOR-USE-WITH-A-Mi-EQUINOX-600-800-METALDETECTOR/273166040590?hash=item3f99f6fe0e:g:RRoAAOSwb9Baxb-K

I wonder if that $500 price is for just one, or for five of them??  Title is confusing on eBay.