Cheap Carbon Fiber Shaft

NSC

The reason I want a different shaft is mine is wobbly and clicks every time it is swung. I done a beach-water hunt yesterday and without a better shaft I wont go in the water again it just felt flimsy.

I think Minelab had a bad run with some of their shaft components. I wonder if anyone who has received their EQ's in the last few shipments has experienced the same problems??!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, John Van Dusen said:

Hey NSC, can you explain why you felt the standard shaft needed to be replaced when water hunting?  Just wondering what to expect from the stock shaft.  Great looking job on your shaft!

Fill the shaft with water (it gets in via the adjustment holes) add some sand under the coil cover

- then swing the standard shaft set up in thigh to waist high water and the lower end flexes / wobbles .

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DukeBoxer said:

This is great! I'm thinking of doing the same thing and I have some questions. First about the lower shaft lock. Does that lock it into one single position or can you slide it in and out of the carbon fiber pole to adjust the height? Also, after you drilled the holes did you treat them in any way to seal them up? I read about having to put super glue around the hole so that they don't fray. Thanks!!

Multi adjustable...drill as many 6mm holes up the carbon shaft for any amount of adjustment that you need.

I just sanded the holes a bit but may epoxy the egdes if fraying is an issue. I doubt it will be though.

12 hours ago, glabelle said:

That does look good! 

Can you share any tips/tricks for cutting and drilling the carbon fiber?

Yes, Ok a few 

...use a fine tooth hacksaw or dremel to cut. 

...Use masking tape 360 degrees around the tube to be cut, mark the cut line on the tape and leave the tape there until cut is complete.

...use a very small drill bit as a pilot hole then progress to the size required ( i did not use masking tape for the holes)

...drill holes need to lined up at near exact right angles both ways if you want everything square and aligned down the shafts so take care when marking and measuring. A right angle square helped me.

.... measure twice - drill / cut once  (use you stock set as a guide )

... woven carbon fiber holes / cuts may need a very fine (400grade) sandpaper on the edges

Lastly, I hope this helps and have fun all you other backyard warriors :biggrin:

• Like 3

Ok, one more question NSC. When I look at the pluggers shaft lock it says this:

“This lock will fit both the 600 & 800 model shafts but you need to cut the old twist lock off behind the body, shaft and all. If you don't cut the shaft off the snap button may get "captured" by the 1/2" hole that the cam sits in and it is difficult to get the snap button free after that!”

Did you cut yours?

13 hours ago, DukeBoxer said:

Ok, one more question NSC. When I look at the pluggers shaft lock it says this:

“This lock will fit both the 600 & 800 model shafts but you need to cut the old twist lock off behind the body, shaft and all. If you don't cut the shaft off the snap button may get "captured" by the 1/2" hole that the cam sits in and it is difficult to get the snap button free after that!”

Did you cut yours?

Cutting the old twist lock off is only required if your replacing the lock on the factory shaft, NSC replaced the shaft so there wasn't a lock on it.

• Like 1