Cheap Carbon Fiber Shaft

NSC

Just ordered a couple of plugger locks, will get the carbon fiber shaft soon:smile: I may even try making one out of aluminum shaft to practice on.

• Like 1

Good luck with your little project unox.

Pluggers shaft locks work very well and are such a simple way to hold the rod without wobble

If you know someone with a drill press - imho that would be best way to drill the holes at perfect right angles to the shaft.

• Like 1

Thanks NSC,  my son is a fitter so I am hoping he may be able to help me with the actual final building of the carbon shaft. He is a very busy person and doesn't have much time to himself anymore so most times I just go it alone and use trial and error.

I am pretty much retired now so have plenty of time to play around with little projects and look forward to the challenge. I will definitely be using a drill press though to try and get it as close as possible.

Happy Hunting:happy:

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2018 at 4:06 AM, NSC said:

Good luck with your little project unox.

Pluggers shaft locks work very well and are such a simple way to hold the rod without wobble

If you know someone with a drill press - imho that would be best way to drill the holes at perfect right angles to the shaft.

Ok, one last question about the plugger shaft locks. I have mine here and I just received the carbon fiber rods yesterday. I fitted everything together before I drilled any holes and I noticed that the plugger lock holds the lower shaft very well without having to drill the holes for the locking pin (I think thats what it's called). Would you say that I could make this rod without using the pin holes and just slide the lower rod into the carbon fiber rod to the height I want and then tighten it down or do you feel the pin holes are necessary? Thanks!

3 hours ago, DukeBoxer said:

Would you say that I could make this rod without using the pin holes and just slide the lower rod into the carbon fiber rod to the height I want and then tighten it down or do you feel the pin holes are necessary?

I have been wondering the same thing, I also received my plugger locks yesterday I will have to grab a shaft next.

unox, I ordered from AliExpress, 5x 1 meter shafts for $81 shipped to the US. Here is the link. It was the best deal I could find for that size. I will use 1 for mine, 1 for my cousin and maybe keep another one on hand. The other 2 I might try to sell to people around here. I just gave 2 shafts to my neighbor who works somewhere with a drill press and he's going to try to get holes drilled for me tomorrow. I only marked for 2 holes, the arm cuff hole and the control box hole where they are comfortable for me, I took the measurements from the distance between the control box hole and the hole I had the arm cuff attached to. When I get it back I will put it all together and try it out without the holes for the pin lock and report back as to how it worked out.

6 hours ago, DukeBoxer said:

Ok, one last question about the plugger shaft locks. I have mine here and I just received the carbon fiber rods yesterday. I fitted everything together before I drilled any holes and I noticed that the plugger lock holds the lower shaft very well without having to drill the holes for the locking pin (I think thats what it's called). Would you say that I could make this rod without using the pin holes and just slide the lower rod into the carbon fiber rod to the height I want and then tighten it down or do you feel the pin holes are necessary? Thanks!

Hi,

Yeah I drilled the 6mm holes for the pin lock

Mainly because I use mine in the surf a fair bit and all the extra drag may put strain on the joint without the pin locked in.

If you are only land hunting you may be able to do without it but imagine if you bump a rock or stump really hard ...its easy enough to drill some adjustment holes.

The other thing is that you do want the coil lined up at the right angle and the holes keep the shaft & coil locked at right angles.

Good luck with your project ☺️

Top information again guys... look forward to seeing how yours turn out as well DukeBoxer and thanks for the link. Thinking about the locking pin I will drill a couple of holes (3 or 4) as I want to use in the surf as well. NSC how is yours going is it much better do you think, I image it would be though.

On 5/11/2018 at 2:14 PM, unox said:

Top information again guys... look forward to seeing how yours turn out as well DukeBoxer and thanks for the link. Thinking about the locking pin I will drill a couple of holes (3 or 4) as I want to use in the surf as well. NSC how is yours going is it much better do you think, I image it would be though.

Hi again unox,

Yep it gets the thumbs up from me have used both in water and on land 

One final thing I forgot. I ended up sealing the holes & cuts with a smear of Superglue. 

It finishes off better and hopefully will prevent any fraying etc

happy swinging all ?