Cheap Carbon Fiber Shaft

NSC

A lot will depend on the length the lower shaft goes into the upper.   Im assuming most will just order a 36" piece of CF and use the ML lower which is 24"..... as a cost saving measure.  The Plunger locks to have some wabble to them and ive had a few break since there is a notch there.   I use a long piece of CF which allows me to just use a nylon bolt.   In the water you have a lot more torque ....... so if there isnt much lower into the upper more movement at the coil...... id use the double spring clip or a nylon bolt to further eliminate movement.   Land guys...... wont have the same problem.

9 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

A lot will depend on the length the lower shaft goes into the upper.   Im assuming most will just order a 36" piece of CF and use the ML lower which is 24"..... as a cost saving measure.  The Plunger locks to have some wabble to them and ive had a few break since there is a notch there.   I use a long piece of CF which allows me to just use a nylon bolt.   In the water you have a lot more torque ....... so if there isnt much lower into the upper more movement at the coil...... id use the double spring clip or a nylon bolt to further eliminate movement.   Land guys...... wont have the same problem.

Can you post a picture of the nylon bolt you use, where you put it etc. Maybe also where you buy them from? Thanks

Duke.... i get those bolt from any hard ware store and honestly the smaller the better.  The disadvantage of the bolt Duke is you dont have the adjustment you do with the plunger lock.   Use a double spring clip or the bolt same same.   I put my bolt thru the side.    ML pretty well gave you everything...... lower shaft....... handle........ and cuff.   All ya need is a 36" piece of CF .... about $50 and you are on your way. 

Im using one of Pete andersons complete shafts for my Nox..... not seen much needing improving.  The coil stays good and tight...... ive always liked their lower shaft heads better the ML.... not quite as soft and he gives ya a nylon double spring button. 

Ok, mine is made and set up. I gave 2 tubes to my neighbor who has a drill press at his work. I marked one hole for the arm cuff at the point where I use it, one hole for the control box and 2 holes for the pin lock again at the point where I use it on the stock shaft. He drilled the 2 top holes with a 3/8" bit (NSC originally stated 9mm for those holes) which are perfect and for the pin lock holes he said either 7/32 or 7/64, he couldn't remember. Those 2 holes could have been one size bigger since the pin doesn't fit all the way through the hole but since the Plugger lock is able to be adjusted and tightened to just about anywhere you want I just left them as is. It's an easy fix down the road if I need to. The good thing about the holes you need to drill is that the only ones that need to be on both sides of the shaft are the arm cuff ones. He put it in a vice to level it, drilled one hole, slid it down to the next mark and drilled the next and so on so they align perfectly. For the Plugger lock, I sanded to end where it connects to the shaft just to rough it up, put some super glue around the shaft itself (I wanted to use gorilla glue but I had brought it to work) and slid the lock on and tightened it down good and left it to dry for the night. I also put super glue around the drill holes so they don't fray. I needed an end cap for it and went to home depot to see what I could find. I ended up buying some chair leg caps, 7/8" and they fit perfect. Here are some pictures...

This was super easy to do, the hardest is probably drilling the holes but dewcon is right, they gave you everything you need to just switch it over onto a carbon fiber rod. I have 3 extra rods if anyone that lives around CT is interested in one. I can have it drilled and all you'd need is the Plugger lock 

IMG_20180519_220741.jpg

IMG_20180519_220756.jpg

IMG_20180519_220810.jpg

IMG_20180519_220816.jpg

IMG_20180518_110220.jpg

IMG_20180518_110203.jpg

IMG_20180518_142718.jpg

IMG_20180518_142723.jpg

IMG_20180518_110138.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

After taking my 600 in the water a couple times, I decided to make a one piece upper shaft like NSC did. I got a 22 x 20 x 1000 carbon fiber shaft for about $28 with express shipping (could have left free ground for $5 less) and a plugger shaft lock for $13 both from eBay. I made my shaft 26" long, carefully marked and drilled all my holes, sealed them with superglue and put it all back together. Super tight lock up and looks great! Cost me only $41.

• Like 2