Re-finishing And Cleaning Rings To Sell Over Melt

Something just popped into my mind and I thought I'd ask everyone...has anyone ever taken a found ring to a jeweler and had them re-finish it and shine it up so that they could then sell it for significantly more than they would've gotten for it at melt? I was wondering if doing this would be (more) profitable...found ring is worth $x in melt value + $y to make it sparkle. Could the value of a nice shiny new ring be greater than $x+$y. I know things are only worth what someone would pay for it but maybe just maybe...

I never get the chance to do either...my wife and daughters claim them first thing :sad:.

I once found a large beautiful gold and diamond pendant and thought to myself, " Sweet! This find just payed for a new detector!" I brought it home and showed the wife. Without a moment's hesitation she says, " I have the perfect chain for this. Thank you, Honey! The up-side is that she doesn't mind when I take off and go detecting.

I think the answer to your question is what does the piece look like (sale-ability/worth cleaning) and what is the current melt value. 

Dean

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I have a found ring that I'd like to sell, so I'll have the answer to that question in a couple of months.  I'm planning to take it to a jeweler in Bozeman and have them clean the sand out of it and polish it up.  I'm also thinking about a written appraisal.  It's 2 carats of diamonds set in 14K .  And no, I'm not posting any pics or telling where I found it.  :biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Average once a year I take all my gold rings 'n stuff to a local goldsmith lady to be melted down..

My Domestic CEO then gives her a specific design and the goldsmith only charges her for labor..

To me this is excellent value addition to my finds as the independent sworn valuation on the new handmade & custom piece afterwards is usually 2.5 - 3x the total cost..(spot price of the gold including labor)..

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies! I'll most likely save everything I've found and hand them down to my girls to do with what they please but this thought did cross my mind. Skeleton Coast, I love that! Domestic CEO haha! I heard one other, I think here that killed me...Minister of war and finance. That's my wife's nickname now. I'll put up pictures in a minute, just have to find them quick. My favorite one is the two tone 18k band with a hammered center. 

I can offer one tip to get the best return on engagement type rings with stones. Take the stone out!

search Ebay for "semi mount" 14K rings and see the prices they can go for. I once found a really nice 14K white gold ring minus the stone and after some looking found this category.  The ring went for around $270.00 (I forget the exact amount)  which was way more than the melt value.

Tom

• Like 2

Thanks for the great tip, Jackpine.

I look at it this way; melt value is money in the hand, all else is pie in the sky.   The "semi mount" sounds like it might make pie in the sky money a whole lot easier to get.      

HH

Mike

• Like 1