wanderer

Know Anything About South West Idaho / South East Oregon

I am going out on my first detecting trip I think I'll be using an xterra 705.  The area I am interested in  is south western idaho generlly around  silver city the war eagle mine  and a few other spots up there> I still have alot to do in terms of research  and permission.   I t looks promising , rugged and well who knows?   Does anyone know if this  is what you would call a mineralized soil area?   I may drive on over to  the Jordan valley area of oregon as well.    any knowledge on this location?

Thanks in advance.

GOLD AND SILVER IN OREGON by Howard C. Brooks and Len Ramp 1968
Bulletin 61 STATE OF OREGON DEPARTMENT OF GEOLOGY AND MINERAL INDUSTRIES

Mining in Idaho 1985 Idaho State Historical Society

Gold Camps & Silver Cities by Merle W. Wells 1983
Bulletin 22 Idaho Department of Lands Bureau of Mines and Geology

I would operate under the assumption that all mining areas are mineralized soil areas.

• Thanks 1

Around Silver City and War Eagle the entire area is mineralized, though it isn't really nugget country. Most of the production has come from the lode mines, but there is some placer in Jordan Creek and other tributaries. Very silvery gold with high silver content. If I was intent on metal detecting there, I'd be more focused on coins and relics. I suppose the mine dumps could possibly produce some specimens. 

15 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

GOLD AND SILVER IN OREGON by Howard C. Brooks and Len Ramp 1968
Bulletin 61 STATE OF OREGON DEPARTMENT OF GEOLOGY AND MINERAL INDUSTRIES

Mining in Idaho 1985 Idaho State Historical Society

Gold Camps & Silver Cities by Merle W. Wells 1983
Bulletin 22 Idaho Department of Lands Bureau of Mines and Geology

I would operate under the assumption that all mining areas are mineralized soil areas.

That is pretty much what I thought   Which is why I am trying to figure my options and leaning towards a pi machine.  I have a line on an xterra 705 I know it is vlf   It it has the smaller coil.  Just not sure if it will work in. Highly militarized soil but it is better than nothing.   

As for nuggets  perhaps. I am clueless but I always that that all gold starts out as lode gold  or is geothermal or intrusive through eart process.   Then as  the earth is eroded away it winds up in streams as placer gold.  But inbetween it is moving down hill slowly and in pieces as nuggets ? 

I have a couple of those books and will get the others ASAP.  

So if I don’t find a good deal on a pi.  Is the 705; worth  getting ?  Waiting isn’t an option.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Skookum
      I’m curious to how you all see the mineralization of the soils you detect compared to other locations. Our soil here in central Arizona seems to be fairly mineralized. But, we haven’t been detecting anywhere out of state to let us effectively compare. Here’s a USGS map showing relative iron concentration in US soils. There appears to be heavy iron concentrations in the Pacific Northwest.  Does this reflect your experience on the ground?  If so, has this affected what you choose to swing?  If not, how do you think your soil compares to elsewhere?
      us iron concentrations.pdf
    • By jrbeatty
      NASA’s Mars 2020 will land in Jezero Crater, pictured here. The image was taken by instruments on NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, which regularly takes images of potential landing sites for future missions.
      On ancient Mars, water carved channels and transported sediments to form fans and deltas within lake basins. Examination of spectral data acquired from orbit show that some of these sediments have minerals that indicate chemical alteration by water. The sediments contain clays and carbonates (courtesyNASA/JPL-Caltech/ASU/WUWT)
      Can't wait to wave a coil over those outwash gravel deposits. 
      At least there's no BB's and rusty nails, could be a few metallic meteorites though - - -
      Luckily, I've got an old hot air balloon under the house somewhere - and warm winter woolies, so I'll see all you good people later. Wish me luck - - -
      I offered to take Reg along on the expedition - but he declined the invitation - can't for the life of me understand why? Not like him at all  ;<)
    • By Ms.Molewacker
      Though I don't prospect, I'd like to share this - HH and enjoy!
      https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/05/worlds-rarest-form-natural-gold-reveals-secrets/
    • By mn90403
      Many believe that the nugget gets rounded by it tumbling about.  I have a large specimen that is flat on one side and I've always believed that it is that way because other objects passed over it as it stayed in place.  This article confirms that for Blackwood, Australia and says:
      ‘A feature of many of the goldfields of Victoria was the finding of large masses of gold nuggets.  They varied in size, and were not confined to any particular class of washdirt, nor with any regularity as to depth, but, from their disposition in restricted areas, certain belts can be regarded as typically nugget bearing.  On account of the soft character of gold, nuggets of any size are always well rounded.  This is due to the attrition of material passing over the nugget rather than rounded by rolling action.  Many of the large nuggets had one side relatively flat, while the other was well rounded.  Some of the nuggets were coated with oxides of manganese and iron; several had quartz attached to them, while a few were of ragged and roughly crystalline appearance.’

http://www.blackwoodpublishing.com/blackwood-eagle-nugget-found-1931/
    • By LE.JAG
      Hi all

we are looking for information
      on different types of gold ground
      producing detectable gold / no gold panning

I did not go around the whole forum
      but I see that there are prospectors from all over
      United States, New Zealand, Australia ??

the more information we have (precise)
      from different sources / better it will be ...

so, among you who already find gold
      do you know the percentage of Fe2O3
      and Fe3O4 on your hunting grounds

if you have answers,
      please specify if the terrain is easy or difficult
      to find gold

we are developing a testing ground
      with mineralized lands of different origins
      the goal being to have the widest possible range of difficulty
      to improve performance ..

all information will be welcome
      Thanks !
    • By Rivers rat
      So my trip is coming up i asked left right and center as it is hard to get a straight answer......so i may take my Xterra and use it .I guess GPX and Z are far too long to learn in 2 weeks ......Deus even in 80khz may struggle with OZ soil........not many Deus in Australia yet.....Have you ever tried the prospecting mode because this what i may use

RR