1st Time At Beach With E-800

Norm S

I really appreciate all the help and advice. 

I went out this morning  and had everything from 1 on up open.  I did find lots of junk and a few corroded pennies and $1.35 in clad plus a small silver ring and a really thin wire silver earring. I was surprised the detector even picked it up. 

Had a lot of action and a lot of scooping but I want to learn it in beach mode because I am very spontaneous and will head out of town for 3 - 4 days at the drop of a hat. I will often head over to Gulf Shores or Ft Walton beach and sometime over to St Augustine area. I am headed down to South Padre Island in a cpl weeks so I need all the beach practice I can get in. 

Ordinarily I rarely hunt the beaches in the Biloxi area unless there is an event in town and people crowd to the beach. 

Over the years I have found a lot of gold rings but I never really set up a detector to include gold. In my eyes the Equinox is so awesome I have to learn how to set it up to include gold on beaches and in parks. 

• Like 1

Some other 800 beach learnings...  keep 13 in the mix.  Bouncy signal around 13 (12 to 15 or 16) is usually a pop top or trash.  A solid 13 is likely a nickel - no bounce.  Dig it.  I keep everything above the ferrous zone turned on on the beach since there are so many possibilities for gold or other jewelry.  So far, the signals that have fluctuating tones and fluctuating VID numbers have turned out to be trash.  Can only comment on dry & wet sand as the elusive WP phones are still not available for the deeper water hunts.

On the All Metal, I kick it on for an iffy sounding signal and if there's a ferrous tone, move on.  I usually only turn on AM to test an iffy target then turn it off again.

• Like 1

Good information here.  I left for the beach near Bodega Bay this week and took the E-800 out for the first time.  Kept it on factory settings for the most part. Found over 3 dollars in coins when I wasn’t getting sand blasted and blown off the beach.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WesH said:

Good information here.  I left for the beach near Bodega Bay this week and took the E-800 out for the first time.  Kept it on factory settings for the most part. Found over 3 dollars in coins when I wasn’t getting sand blasted and blown off the beach.

Watch out for the "Birds"...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm going to bags head on obx June 9 for a week vacation cant wait to beach hunt because I never have.norm i get blips all the time as you described here in red nasty dirt of alabama I've about figured it out but can be very frustrating for sure and to top it all I'm usually hunting sidewalk strips and cant rund ground empty enough to ground balance that may be a problem! Lol good luck to all 

• Like 2

You are going to have a lot of fun hitting the beach for the first time with this machine but it's a lot different than dirt fishing, so read up on how to read the beach and strategies to attack the different beach areas (surf, tide line, coin line, cuts, towel line, beach entrances, and likely drop points (lifeguard stations, snack stands, beach rental stands, etc). 

Get a decent scoop or scoops (wet and dry need different types of scoops).  Get a tide table app and a flashlight (the optimal low tide times may be after dark or before dawn)

Don't hit the water (esp. surf) unprepared (WP phones, water shoes, strong swimming skills, remember you are not as hydrodynamic with all that equipment) and without having your equipment properly tethered.  Plenty of great info here and on the other forums.

Plenty of good targets to be had without having to get your swim trunks wet.

Don't forget the sunscreen and water bottle, lol.

Have fun!

• Like 1

Yeah I haven't give it a lot of thought guess I oughta do some reading.i figured I'd mainly hit water line.do you know of any good reads?thanks

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Hardcore Beach Hunting by Gary Drayton

Gold Beneath the Waves by Jim Brouwer

Metal Detecting on the East Coast Beaches by Don Crosby

are a few I can recommend.

Thanks I'll check them out.

• Like 2