In which country are you wanderer?  

Yes, you can get used PI machines. Just make sure they are not fakes.  Always best to try and get one with some warranty left too.  

Getting a used one though a dealer may also give you some peace of mind that they have checked it over and it is in good working order even if it is out of warranty. 

If you are in Australia the QED is getting some good reviews and is a very light and relatively inexpensive PI machine.  I'm not sure if the QED is available overseas at present or if it ever will be due to the small size of the business.   

Im sure others on here will be able to help you more re: prices across the many brands. 

And, of course, check out Steve's Gold Detecting reviews - I doubt there is a more comprehensive review page with pricing included.  

http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-guides/steve-guide-gold-nugget-detectors.htm

You have missed out in my opinion the most important piece of information and that is your budget !! no point in asking for some suggestions if the machines are over your budget.Are you taking about ultra cheap Pulse machines or reasonable top brand one ??

In the us.  The reason I ask is all of the pi seem the 2000ish.  I am in California will be looking for nuggets of any size.  In what I think will be highly mineralized rock.   I am trying to determine a budget.   

The Whites TDI is the least expensive New for $1200 and used ones can be found for $600-$700 at times. Next would be used Minelabs. I just picked up a used GPX 4000 with 3 coils and signal enhancer and 3 batteries and control box cover for $1350, so they can be found. Try all the forums classifieds and Craiglist. Another option would be the Minelab Gold Monster 1000. It is a VLF but does good in highly mineralized ground and can be found for about $600 used  or about $800 new.

If your going to look at Craig's list or Ebay be very careful of deals that are "too good to be true" because they are. Also be very careful about buying any Minelab that you can't get your hands on before purchase so that you can have a dealer verify that it's a real Minelab.

Mike

• Like 2

I assume you are asking about pulse induction metal detectors for gold prospecting. There are two main types of PI. Those that ground balance and those that do not. Those that do not are relatively inexpensive beach detecting machines. Only consider ground balancing PI detectors for gold prospecting.

Right now the least expensive new with warranty option is the White’s TDI SL Special Edition which can be had brand new with warranty for $1049.95

If I was on a budget looking for the most power for under $1000 I would be looking for a used Minelab GP detector. The GP 3000 can be found used under $1000 on a regular basis. If you shopped hard you might even find a GP 3500 for under a grand. Assume the batteries will need replacing.

Minelab only supports detectors for 5 years after they are discontinued. There may be alternative third party service options but I would assume that with any Minelab more than 5 years after being discontinued you are on your own if there is a component failure in the control box. Since the GP 3500 was the last of the series and was discontinued in 2006, all Minelab GP and the earlier SD models are outside Minelab’s official support period.

The GPX 4000 was discontinued around 2009 and so is also outside the support period but because all GPX detectors share components there is probably less issue there. The GPX 4500 and GPX 5000 are still in production.

You don’t have to worry too much about older Minelab SD and GP models when it comes to counterfeits but the GPX is another story. Counterfeit GPX models are very common.

Minelab Stop Counterfeits Page

Known Counterfeit Manufacturers

Bang for the buck brand new I recommend the GPX 4500 for around $2600.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

If I was on a budget looking for the most power for under $1000 I would be looking for a used Minelab GP detector. The GP 3000 can be found used under $1000 on a regular basis. If you shopped hard you might even find a GP 3500 for under a grand. Assume the batteries will need replacing.

Took the words right out of my mouth. The Minlelabs have more punch/power than the Whites TDI IMHO. 

Good luck in your decision.

JW :smile:

• Like 1

Couldn’t agree more with Steve, you would be well served with a Minelab 4500. I have used many detectors over the past 39 years, up to the GPZ. If I was only able to have one detector it would be the 4500, and the coil of choice would be a 16” nugget finder mono. But depending where you will be detecting smaller coils may be more appropriate. Good luck.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By pinpointa
      Hi Guys,
      How many detector brands have Mixed Mode.  Thanks in advance.

• By Andyy
      Just thought... it would be interesting if the technology ever came about where you could run one detector as either a VLF or a PI (orZVT).  What machines would you combine?
      I would go GPZ and Equinox
    • By GB_Amateur
      I started this project 2 or 3 years ago (so long I can't remember).  Spurred on by recent field experiences and also a recent thread on Equinox settings I've finally finished it. I don't know if it's a completely new idea.  I call it a 'test-stand' as opposed to 'test garden' just to distinguish it from the standard test gardens many of you either already have or at least are familiar with.  There are other similar variable depth test gardens out there (seen on YouTube).  This one has the advantage of continuous depth capability.  It also allows 3-d target orientation angle (similar to pitch, roll, yaw of airplane).  It's based upon the 30-60-90 triangle (remember that from geometry/trigonometry class in high school?):

Here is a sketch which shows how to implement this concept:

Shown in the sketch, buried at an angle, is a PVC pipe.  A test target can be slid into the pipe a distance 2*d which will result in it being located at depth d.  I used two sections of pipe (ID = 1.57 in., OD = 1.90 in.), side-by-side to allow me to put neighboring targets in the ground with some option of how close the two targets are separated.  Think of this as burying a double barrel (side-by-side) shotgun with the stock end deep in the ground.  All you see are the ends of the two barrels.  The concrete (bag of Kwicrete) locks the pipes in place.  Here's a closeup of those extruding barrels:

Besides the tape measure (units of inches) you also see a hand-graded scale at left which I'll explain shortly.  Here is an overall view:

The two PVC caps, attached together, are for keeping water, dirt, and varmints out of the pipes when not in use.  You'll notice a 1.5 in. diameter wooden dowel rod inserted into one of the pipes. More detail on that shortly, but the target is inserted into the dowel near its end and then the dowel is slid into the pipe.  Holes for locating pins (you can see one of those -- gray plastic -- inserted to register the intended depth) are 1 inch apart leading to a depth resolution of 1/2 inch.  (Again, refer to the 30-60-90 diagram to understand the relationship between insertion length and actual depth into the ground -- a 2::1 ratio.)
      Next I show the business end of the dowel rod:

The black foam fills the chamber and holds the target (in this case a silver dime) in place.  The hole in the dowel is actually lined with a plastic film canister (remember those from 35 mm film days?) which has been modified to conform to the circular cross-section of the dowel and thus be able to fit into the pipe.  The second slightly smaller) large hole was put in there originally for a second target but so far I haven't used it -- likely of limited value.  You can see the registration holes.  The first one has a red '2'  (difficult to see) just above it; the next (representing 2.5" depth) isn't labeled; the third one has a '3'; etc.  These represent the resultant depth of the target when a registration pin is put in that hole and then the rod slid into the pipe until the registration pin keeps the dowel from going deeper.
      Although the chamber packing material can be made up of many materials, I chose ethafoam (polyethylene foam) high quality packing material.  You typically find this in higher end electronics packaging such as with desktop computers.  More commonly it is white but in this case I used black.  I initially cut plugs with hole saw (see next photo) and then trim with a pocket knife as needed to fit the pipe:

Ok, so now you're still wondering what that specially graded (homemade 'yardstick') is for.  Again, referring back to the 30-60-90 triangle drawing, the 3rd side of the triangle is also related to the depth.  It is squareroot of 3 times the depth.  (Squareroot of 3 = 1.73.)  That yardstick will indicate how far downrange (along the ground surface) that the target is located.  This helps when you get an iffy response on your detector and want to confirm or deny that the surface location of the target is consistent with its depth.  The units written on the scale are associated with the depth of the target.  You can see from the sketch above that the max depth is 15".  The largest common US coin that will fit the chamber (with some force...) is a half dollar.
      I didn't keep track of the cost but it's probably $30 or so, mostly for the PVC pipe and caps and the dowel rods plus a bag of Sacrete.  (I'm counting labor as free.  😁)
      OK, now that I (finally!) finished this test-stand it's time to get busy making measurements.  I'll be posting those here on the forum as they become available.

• By garikfox
      Anyone remember the old Popular Science ads?
      I thought this was a good classic to share. Even though this ad pre-dates me by 6yrs, it puts a smile to my face :) 

• By Ridge Runner
      I’m not so sure if I really have a opinion but maybe each here may . So please let me hear from you on this subject.
       Thanks!
       Chuck 
    • By Johnnysalami1957
      Yeah well as in inherently curious person, I was wondering when someone will design a smart phone app that makes your smart phone into a virtual metal detector.  Might use a coil like the X35 on a carbon fiber shaft bluetooth connected or USB "c" connected. My Galaxy S10 + certainly has more than the processing power and ram required to do the job. Bluetooth headphone capable, gps, you name it. 
      Just thinking again
      Johnny