Calabash In Depth Video Review Of Equinox

Great post Steve!  That post is worthy of copy and paste with attribution across a large number of posts on other forums.   A recent video on another forum by a well known member brought rejoicing by the Minelab haters.  Yet the video shows a 13 inch dime being detected in some challenging soil.  And the videographer also stated that usage in a carpet of nails was limited because of coil size which as you state is detecting 101.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LowTide said:

That post is worthy of copy and paste with attribution across a large number of posts on other forums.

Thanks, but it really was just a post appropriate for a fan club! :smile: I am sure many people on some of the general forums are sick of hearing about the Equinox. Besides, I am convinced of the inevitability of Equinox. Hardcore detector users may argue the fine details versus much more expensive detectors but anyone with a lick of sense who can compare feature lists in a given price range knows what the score is. The vast majority of detector buyers are shopping for detectors that sell for under US$1000 and for under a grand nothing seriously compares to an Equinox for across the board features and performance.

Nope, too many Equinox detectors out there already. We don’t need to convince anyone Equinox is any good. As long as we have ours, who cares? It’s only going to get better when the accessory coils finally become available. The job now is to figure out how the get the best performance out of it.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Vez said:

I agree that having the 800 in a single freq isn't relevant to me.  I would still like to see if makes a difference for those who only want silver in iron like calabash demonstrated in his video :)  

I also just wanted to see if it would make a difference running a high frequency! And it seems to have started a great discussion!! I've been hunting with my Equinox for about 40 hours... and I've seen many amazing things! From as small as a link from a necklace to 13in deep on a gold ring! I have no doubt in my mind that I have the best machine for the job I'm doing! 

20180423_141845.jpg

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Thanks, but it really was just a post appropriate for a fan club! :smile: I am sure many people on some of the general forums are sick of hearing about the Equinox. Besides, I am convinced of the inevitability of Equinox. Hardcore detector users may argue the fine details versus much more expensive detectors but anyone with a lick of sense who can compare feature lists in a given price range knows what the score is. The vast majority of detector buyers are shopping for detectors that sell for under US$1000 and for under a grand nothing seriously compares to an Equinox for across the board features and performance.

Nope, too many Equinox detectors out there already. We don’t need to convince anyone Equinox is any good. As long as we have ours, who cares? It’s only going to get better when the accessory coils finally become available. The job now is to figure out how the get the best performance out of it.

Steve you are right nothing comes close for the money.  Had a friend that didn't know the cost of a Deus say that if Logan is having trouble with stamina on the 800 to buy him the XP.  His jaw dropped when he learned the cost of the detector and magical HF coil was double what I paid for my 800.  Another life long friend wants to break into detecting and he is a veteran as well.  He said that he read the AT series was a good inexpensive starter machine, I cut him off very quickly.  With his discount he would have a small amount more at the outset, but I firmly believe that it would be worth it.  Plus I can help him start speaking 800 faster than AT :)

1 hour ago, Thegoldenone said:

I also just wanted to see if it would make a difference running a high frequency! And it seems to have started a great discussion!! I've been hunting with my Equinox for about 40 hours... and I've seen many amazing things! From as small as a link from a necklace to 13in deep on a gold ring! I have no doubt in my mind that I have the best machine for the job I'm doing!

I too have had some awesome surprises!  My favorite have been two separate cases of a wheaty in the hole with a nail within 1/2" of the coin either below or to the side.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

From my perspective it’s pretty simple. Recovery speed is important in dense trash but coil size trumps all. A detector with a 9” round DD (Deus) is going to outperform a detector with an 11” DD (Equinox) in the densest nails. A Nokta Impact with a 4” x 6” DD will outperform them both at pulling stuff out of the densest trash. This does not surprise me - I expect it.

Equinox will not outperform any and all detector / coil combinations on all targets in all locations. Anyone expecting that is unrealistic. On the other hand, in every case I have seen so far the Equinox is going head to head with detectors costing two and three times as much and certainly holding its own. Might a $1500 Deus with 9” HF coil squeak an edge on the Equinox in dense trash? Sure. Might a $2500 CTX get a silver coin a little better in low trash moderate soil? Sure.

I have never seen a detector compared so relentlessly to machines costing much more money as if price means nothing. Any other brand and people would scream foul. The fact that Equinox only really compares to detectors costing much more money tells you all you need to know about relative value and performance.

The thing is even in an area where something like a Deus with a specialty coil manages to squeak a bare edge it literally is just squeaking a bare edge with a coil size advantage. The Equinox is not getting slaughtered by any means. I look at it and it tells me I can go up against a Deus with 9” HF coil with my Equinox 11” and be doing just fine, thank you very much. Not that I may as well give up and stay home. There is not a VLF machine of any type under any conditions that would leave me feeling significantly outgunned as long as I have an Equinox. Yet let me pick the terms of the hunt and Equinox will significantly outperform the other machine.

The Deus with 9” HF coil does well in dense nails. Fine. Now let’s wander down to the saltwater beach and give the Deus 9” HF coil a go in the water versus an Equinox. The CTX does well on silver in low trash moderate turf. Fine. Now let’s take the CTX and go nugget detecting versus the Equinox. For every instance where these videos are comparing an expensive machine under the best circumstances I can flip it around and blow the other detector away.

The videos that still need to be done - Deus vs Equinox in saltwater. CTX Versus Equinox on small gold nuggets or small gold jewelry. And so on. Sure, I can make a video of an Equinox versus another detector at what it does best and make it look like a tight race. But is that not showing one machine in the best light possible? It’s not the full picture, just a setup really.

I think that for performance on all targets under all circumstances no detector holds a candle to an Equinox. Only specific machine and coil combinations for specific situations might eke out an edge here and there, but nothing is going to match an Equinox for across the board performance for all types of detecting. That machine does not exist. Equinox is in my opinion the best all around detector on the market, bar none.

Yep.  On another forum, a good detectorist who I think highly of, made a statement along the lines of:  I will not consider getting an Equinox until someone proves to me the Equinox will hit as deep as my CTX or separate as well as my Deus.  I politely pointed out that bar he was setting was for the $900 Equinox to perform better than a two-headed monster costing nearly $4000!  I accused him of actually being a ML marketing rep in disguise, lol.  We still respect each other. 

But back to my previous point, it may be harder for folks who have already made the investment in Deus and/or CTX or whatever to find a reason (like I did with salt water hunting) to jump to Equinox, and that's fine and doesn't reflect on the capability of the Equinox.

Thanks Dusty for the link. Good read. This is an excellent thread for more in-depth thought on the Equinox.

Some of the perceived problems with the Equinox are really about having to relearn some things. Until you learn the tonal language of the Equinox, you are not going to get the full potential out it. The multi-frequency is different than anything I have used and I have had to drop my preconceptions, study the many viewpoints written here and elsewhere and be willing to take time over targets to switch into different modes and different variations within the modes. Although it is definitely a turn-on-and-go machine, it is also much more. I'm getting there but it is taking time over the coil. 

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

From my perspective it’s pretty simple. Recovery speed is important in dense trash but coil size trumps all. A detector with a 9” round DD (Deus) is going to outperform a detector with an 11” DD (Equinox) in the densest nails. A Nokta Impact with a 4” x 6” DD will outperform them both at pulling stuff out of the densest trash. This does not surprise me - I expect it.

Therein lies the truth.  The stock 11" is a  good all around coil and in one configuration or another that size is used by a lot of manufacturers now days but it can't do it all.  The 6" coil due shortly will help for sure however, I would like to see something in the 8 to 9" range in a round coil as well.  That "tweener" size could very well be a permanent fixture on the Nox for me.

Tom

• Like 4

I've only spent 6 hours with mine so far and I've got a lot to learn yet. Since my first find was a Rev War British cartridge box plate, it's hard for me to not love this machine! I do agree with the review here on the ergonomics though. Awful. It swings and feels like it weighs a lot more than its actual weight. It's manageable for me, but ML needs to work on that aspect.