Silence Isn't Always Golden

No, this isn't about gold, but "made you look!"  :biggrin:

I'm not an introvert, but like many of you I've yet to work up the courage to ask permission on a cold call to hunt private property.  So far I've stuck with public places:  parks and schools.  I've had quite a few contacts/coversations over the last couple years with people walking their dogs, bringing toddlers to the swingsets, etc. in the parks and on school grounds.  Often if I see someone watching me I wave, or if close enough say 'hi'.  In the least it takes away a bit of the awkwardness and shows I'm human, just like they.  A couple things happened today on a 5 hour hunt (more on the results of that in a separate thread when I get the goodies photoed).

1) I was only about 20 minutes into my hunt with virtually nothing to show and digging a hole already 6+ inches (15 cm) deep and counting when I middle aged guy walks up and says "hope you're not hurting the sod".  He wasn't angry or threatening, but certainly cautious and concerned.  Before I had a chance to explain he noticed I had removed a plug of sod without damage and was collecting the rest of the dirt from the hole in a gold pan (my standard method).  He said "so you put the plug back in last?" and then I told him how I conducted myself.  He asked what I had found and I showed him a large-mouth bottle cap and a beavertail.  (Turns out the target I was digging was an old Champion spark plug but I didn't have it out until after he left).  Relieved, he introduced himself and put his hand out to shake.  I reciprocated.  Turns out he was a "friends of the parks" coordinator for the park I was hunting and told me of his exploits and frustrations dealing with the city council and city park officials.   We shared some stories and after a few minutes he wished me success and was on his way.  I was glad I was able to head off any potential confrontation -- who needs that?!

2) Near the end of my 5 hour hunt I was along the city sidewalk digging what turned out to be a Wheatie when a dog walker happened past.  I said 'hi' and he asked what I had found; "a few pennies" was my answer (the truth).  Then he volunteered the location of a baseball diamond from years past and when I inquired further about its location and age he said it was there in 1976 (apparently when he moved to the area) but couldn't remember when it had been covered/grown over.  I'll do some internet viewing of aerial photos to get more detail and then get over there and start searching.

I've read stories (here) about less than amicable confrontations that some have had.  Those are inevitable and I'm sure I'll have one someday, but for the most part I suspect they are rare.  Most people leave me alone, some are curious, and occasionally they want to talk longer than I do, but I've always been able to politely end the conversations and get back to my task.  Both adults and kids have started dialogue but it's typically curiosity that initiates the questioning and I'm glad to educate them on what I'm doing.  Familiarity defuses any possible concern and usually they are pleased or even excited (kids, anyway) that lost treasure can come out of the ground.  It's not my land or theirs, but ours.  I'm glad when both of us see things that way.

• Like 7

Good story. I try to go early or late in the day or pick places when they are not in use...but sometimes I find myself in the middle of a park full of people so I head to the out ward bounds areas. Like you say most people are friendly. We should all try to be stewards... pick up garbage etc while we are there. I will say that sometimes I just want to be alone in the hills detecting without having to look over my shoulder. 

strick 

• Like 3

Yep you made me look.  :)

Like you I dont go outta my way to talk to people but when talked to its often been a good conversation even when I'm ushered out.  Most people are curious what I've found, always answer pennies, however my answer when they wanna see is," Once its in the pouch it does not come out, Sorry."  Though I will show them the trash, adults agree I'm doing something good there, and occasionally with the kids something coming out of the ground~ usually pennies.  Even had kids and adults chuck coins out for me.  Hahh!  For those who've ushered me out I just be polite, point out my recovery techniques and have a yarn with them and go over the rules as they see it.  Though in one case the lady brought out a real "Rule Book" and pointed out I was in the wrong.

With adults they generally want to know how expensive it is to get a detector and what its worth to me to be doing it.  Dare say most of them shy off on price and how long/hard I work for what little I get.  Occasionally I meet another detectorist, sans detector, and we have a yarn but beyond that no real drama's.   I'm just the junk man after most talks ;)

• Like 3

I do my absolute best to be an invisible detectorist. Oddball hours, rainy days, and when I see people go the other way or leave. I suppose I might be missing an encounter that has some positive aspect but in general I think it best for the detecting community that we are seen by as few people as possible. Somebody catching me and chatting me up is my clue it’s time to go somewhere else.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

When I used to do parks, they where not in areas where I wanted to converse with the public...Ghetto parks in Stockton. Hookers, gangsters, dope fiends and derelict. I just tried not to kneel down on their needles and poop.

• Haha 1

On 4/25/2018 at 12:09 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I do my absolute best to be an invisible detectorist. Oddball hours, rainy days, and when I see people go the other way or leave. I suppose I might be missing an encounter that has some positive aspect but in general I think it best for the detecting community that we are seen by as few people as possible. Somebody catching me and chatting me up is my clue it’s time to go somewhere else.

Bingo! Using this strategy has allowed me to hunt places many might consider off limits.

That's why I hunt mornings before most people are out and I am usually gone by 9:30 am. I have hunted a few evenings but was never comfortable doing that. I am always friendly to people when they ask and I usually tell them I found a few pennies and make a joke I shouldn't have quit my day job.

The last time I was in a park in the middle of the day I was with my 18 yr old grandson and detecting a small park with a tot lot that usually gave up a cpl bucks in clad. Well we were minding our business when some guy come up and called me a creepy old man. I said what he said his daughter and her friend ran home and told him a creepy old man was in the park. The only girls we even seen were two girls riding a bike through the park and we never spoke to any of them, I said we're metal detecting and he said what ya gonna find a quarter. I maybe and sometimes rings. I said it's my hobby he said it's my perception you're here for other reasons. I said please leave us alone we are not bothering anyone. He said again it's perception. I looked at my grandson and said let's go and he said loudly yeah I think we should go grandpa there are to many creeps in this park.. We left and went to a soccer field..

• Like 2

On 5/5/2018 at 6:48 PM, Norm S said:

The last time I was in a park in the middle of the day I was with my 18 yr old grandson and detecting a small park with a tot lot that usually gave up a cpl bucks in clad. Well we were minding our business when some guy come up and called me a creepy old man.

That's unfortunate.  It's hard to say how much things have changed with the internet and the vitriol in government, etc., but I always wonder if this would have been much more rare 50 or 100 years ago.  Your grandson is wise beyond his years.

My rote conclusion is that I am (and hope I always remain) my strongest critic.  If I'm comfortable that I haven't done anything wrong then it's not my problem, but rather that of the person who is hastling me.  I strive to continue and improve my recovery techniques so that I leave the minimum scar possible.  When the dry season arrives this year I'm headed to the gold bearing creeks instead of the parks and schools.  But I'm comfortable with the fact that by removing trash (buried AND sitting on top of the ground in plain sight) that I've left my hunting sites in better condition than when I arrived.  I challenge my critics to meet, let alone exceed that goal.

• Like 2

I feel the same way as you GB. I try to leave no trace if me when I been in a park unlike many of the plugs I see that are still visible a month later.  I have actually recovered targets next to plugs I have dug and couldn't tell I had dug there until I tried to cut a plug for the new target and the old plug got disturbed and I blame that on the Equinox identifying both targets and I went for the strongest signal and missed the one 6" away. If I hit a deep can I will leave it if it will be a bigger mess removing it than if I leave it. I won't be seen with a shovel either because that freaks people out. 

I have to admit my grandson is wise beyond his years and a pure joy to spend time with whenever I can. We have the same bond today that we had when he was 5 yrs old..  I don't see him much with him in college and working, on top of living 650 miles away but every year we go on fishing trips for a cpl of weeks. He loves metal detecting too. 

• Like 3

As to timing I tend to detect during business hours and during the week but I have no problem going in on the weekends bold as brass.  I feel no need to hide what I'm about however I will keep a respectful distance from other people's space~ sans playgrounds which are fair game.  I've gotten the eye from a number of parents and being one myself I understand, as well as some cat calls, but I shrug it off.  I feel it shifts the stigma that I'm somehow in the wrong with others perspective if I just keep about my business and do the right things.  A smile, a wave, a chat and collect the trash as well as the goodies.  Yes I like to be left alone, and prefer it, but I'm not going to lurk when there is no need.  Its a free country, I served it, so dont tread on me. ? And I wont bite you ? Hehh.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1