Those are nice finds. I just got my 7.5x4 coil in for the racer. Been wanting a gb2 sniper type coil for some time. Can't wait to use it. I might not ever take it off.

• Like 1

Thanks for dropping in Stephen.

I've got to go pick my little sniper coil up so I can see how it performs. I'll let you know what I think of it. (I look at the fact that Makro manufactured one as a great example of a company that listens to the wishes of its consumers!)

As you can see from the picture of the gold in the pan, there sure are a lot of small pieces that the Gold Racer was able to sniff out.  

The largest piece is 4.7 grams.

All the best,

Lanny

Nice write up Lanny.  Nice spot by the sounds. 

And a very nice gesture to get the newbie on the right track.  Although you may have done a terrible thing - I'd say the poor bloke is addicted now   :laugh:

Does the write up belong to the pics on the previous page?

• Like 1

Thanks for the Story Lanny, 

I really enjoy hearing about a whole day out as well as just the posting of finds.

the new prospector was a lucky guy to stumble across someone who is willing to teach them a thing or two, nice work.

Cheers,  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Northeast said:

Nice write up Lanny.  Nice spot by the sounds. 

And a very nice gesture to get the newbie on the right track.  Although you may have done a terrible thing - I'd say the poor bloke is addicted now   :laugh:

Does the write up belong to the pics on the previous page?

Hi Northeast, and thanks for dropping in to leave some kind words. 

To answer your question, yes the write up belongs to the 2nd Saturday's (two consecutive Saturday hunts) finds, and the finds from both weekends (Friday coin hunts and Saturday nugget hunts) are combined in the pans, but  the pan does not include the fine gold from the gold bottle.)

As for the newbie, I'd say he has a glorious case of gold fever, and I certainly hope he's addicted as we all know how much fun it is to chase the gold.

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 1

13 hours ago, roddosnow said:

Thanks for the Story Lanny, 

I really enjoy hearing about a whole day out as well as just the posting of finds.

the new prospector was a lucky guy to stumble across someone who is willing to teach them a thing or two, nice work.

Cheers,  

Thanks for dropping in to say you enjoyed the story Rodd. It means a lot, and I'm glad you enjoyed hearing about the day.

I had no idea a rookie would wander over on that day, so it kind of changed my plans a bit, but I've always had fun giving back as lots of others have certainly helped me along the way in my detecting journey.

All the best,

Lanny

Great write-up, Lanny.  Really makes us feel like we're there with you.  Gotta get my passport renewed so I can make another trip up to your beautiful country.  Canadians have always made me feel welcome when I've gotten the chance to visit.  I'm overdue for another, this time with my detectors!

• Like 1

Awesome write up Lanny, as always, make them as long as you like. They are always a pleasure to read my friend. As to the gold & goodies finds..... I am speechless. :wub: What a great time you had. Very entertaining. Me thinks you should get your dredge in there. :biggrin:  Thanks so much for the journey.

All the very best of luck out there

JW :smile:

• Like 3

18 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Awesome write up Lanny, as always, make them as long as you like. They are always a pleasure to read my friend. As to the gold & goodies finds..... I am speechless. :wub: What a great time you had. Very entertaining. Me thinks you should get your dredge in there. :biggrin:  Thanks so much for the journey.

All the very best of luck out there

JW :smile:

JW, so goo to hear from you again, and many thanks for your kind words about the gold and coin-chasing tales.

I would love to throw my dredge in anywhere, but it's getting almost impossible to get a permit these days, so that's why I've been doing so much specializing with the detectors. So far there's been no effort to banish their use from the goldfields . . .

Great to hear from you again, and all the best,

Lanny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Lanny
      Golden Grams of Goodness: Part 1
      November is not usually a time of year that I get to chase the gold, as by the time November rolls around the ground usually requires some dynamite or some equally powerful force to break through the frost to get to the gold. However, this year has been a year of exceptions. In September, we had early snow and frost with well below seasonal temperatures that carried into October, and that doesn't happen very often as usually the weather is rather mild. However, after the early blast of Arctic bad temper, the weather shook itself out until the first week of November with temperatures soaring above average, so this allowed the chance to engage in some gold sleuthing when normally I'd be reduced to only dreaming of chasing the gold.
      I have two sons, and the eldest loves to chase the gold, while the other will chase the gold given the opportunity, but he doesn't have the same level of passion. Me eldest was with me on this trip, and he was with me on our epic gold adventure when we truly slew an army of nuggets early in the summer (I have yet to post that story), so he was eager to have a chance to hone his detecting and sniping skills.
      The area we dropped into to work was full of bedrock pinnacles. These pinnacles were formed of an iron-hard bedrock, so hard that the big equipment had negligible effect. In fact, smoke was pouring off the bucket teeth and blades of the excavators as they tried to outmuscle the mother rock. As a result, there was a section of ground about the size of two school buses parked side-by-side, but slightly longer.
      Looking down into the excavation, there were three pools of standing water as well as a small stream of clear seepage water running diagonally across the northern, more elevated end of the bedrock. The southern end was where the largest pool of water was, and the eastern side of the excavation had a culvert that was collecting the water from the stream to then divert it through a long series of interconnected culverts to a sump where a six-inch diesel-powered pump was working night and day to keep that sump cleared. 
      Over the entire area of exposed bedrock, there were many buried, small gutters with high, then lower humps, and throughout the area, there were those dark pinnacles of super-hard bedrock, some of them rising up almost four feet, resulting in an area that could not be cleaned out properly by the modern miners with their big equipment. The area was perfect for detector and sniping work, making it a perfect area for us to tackle. 
      To be continued . . .
      All the best,
      Lanny
    • By mn90403
      I had some afternoon time today and decided to see what the wind blew in to the southern California beaches.  The tides are bad, the waves are small and it took me over a mile before I had my first target penny!  These are the same beaches where I've found lots of targets in the past but these small wind waves are only moving sand.  It is all deposit mode, sanded in as you might say.
      On the way back I decided to do a bit of blanket line near a surf break.  I found a little spill for about $1 in change when a surfer came up to me and asked if I had found his Toyota key.  I had only been there about 5 minutes and I told him I had not but I'd help him look if he knew EXACTLY where he had sat and picked up his roll on the way to his car.  He showed me and I began circling that area and he dragged his foot along the path he took to the parking lot.  I followed that line with my Nox 800 and the 15" coil and found a couple more coins but not his key.  I did a double width pass on his path and then told him I had no results after about 25 minutes.  He was bummed and wanted me to take his number in case I found it but I said I was leaving and there was no chance I was going to find it tonight.
      He said thanks for helping and we parted.  On my way back to my parking spot I saw the lifeguard truck ahead of me watching the sunset.  I went up to the guy and he cracked his window and wanted to know what this metal detectorist wanted.  I told him a surfer was looking for his key and I had been helping him and he reached down into his lap and says, "I have it, where is the surfer?"  I pointed him out about 1/3 of a mile down the beach and he took off.  I watched as the surfer went over to the truck and took the key from the lifeguard.
      It would have been nice if the surfer could have spotted me and waved or even the lifeguard could have come back and said something but that did not happen.  I didn't find the surfer's key but I did find a story with a happy ending.
      Mitchel
    • By Dig It
      Cabin fever setting in, was needing to get out. It warmed up to 38 degrees and that's just warm enough to melt a little snow off beach and the warm air blowing through gravels allowed me to dig targets. Nothing special 5 coins and trash, but I've been hitting this beach since I got the NOX last March, cleaning out trash, thinking there should be a ring sometime, just Not Today. I know there has to be one some time. ( Right ??? ) I have to think not everyone thought to take jewelry off before a summer swim.  Sure felt good to get out. Kenai Lake / Quarts Creek Camp Ground Beach. Watch out Nevada / Arizona / Florida Treasure Coast next winter, I'm a coming !!!!! Haha !!!!!!  

• By Jonathan Porter
      I’ve got my lads home this summer so I’ve been grabbing every chance I can get to drag them out detecting. For me finding some gold is always a good way to get some ready cash for incidental things like beer which both boys now seem to have discovered a taste for.🤣
      My attitude is the more I can get them out detecting with them the better because they will soon enough be pursuing their own life directions and if my life at that age is anything to go by no doubt it will be in another town a long way away. So in exchange for beer, a bed, air con, food and the odd bit of cash here and there, oh and don’t forget always running out of data on our internet plan,🤔 I get to occasionally grab one or both lads and go do a bit of father son detecting. 
      Yesterday was a lot of fun, the weather has returned to hot and muggy again (typical February weather in Central QLD) so an early start was necessary. This time we decided to target an area not far from a high voltage power line, not because we love the constant discordant threshold (The GPZ is heaps better than any of gold machine in this regard), but because the gold tends to be chunkier thanks to the area not having been detected as often due to the interference.
      The keys to detecting here are to find a clear frequency for the location, this is changed pretty regularly as the frequency of the line changes often too, I also find lowering the sensitivity helps a lot and also backing off the B&Z booster a bit to take the edge off the variation. There is also a fair amount of trash so we tend to just focus on signals that sound a bit buried.
      I was lucky and pinged a deep 1 gram bit only 30 minutes into the session, I held off letting Tim know because its better in a nasty area like this to keep things low key and not too competitive. Being hot and sweaty as well as listening to an annoying unstable threshold is bad enough without feeling pressured from Dad. Anyway this session was kinder to me and I managed to ping quite a few chunky bits poking my coil here and there amongst the old boys diggings on the edges of the drainage. Poor Tim was struggling he had pockets full of lead and trash but no gold, so I suggested he head on over to were I pinged the first bit. Right on knock off time I saw Tim grinning triumphantly and he then refusing to finish off for the day until he had covered the area more thoroughly. 
      Long story short, Tim got the biggest nugget for the session sitting right at 1.6 grams with a grand total of 7.4 grams between us. Seeing how were are partners we spilt the gold with 3.7 grams each or $214 AU for a few hours work, no wonder he likes coming home for a visit.😎😂
      JP
      Some pics of yesterdays session and a few from another one last week. The gold is just a bonus, the true gold is the time spent with my boy.

• By kiwijw
      Hi Guys. We had a public holiday yesterday so I decided to spend it out detecting.Trouble is I don't get paid for public holidays being a contractor. But any excuse to get out for a swing. I made a plea to Simon to tag along but he was committed else where for the day. It was a stunning day with a bit of well needed coolness first thing....but that didn't last long. I decided to keep at it with my Modded 4500 & the little 8 x 6 nugget finder Sadie coil targeting the thyme bushes that I just haven't a hope of getting the Zed into. It was very slow detecting waving in & out & poking & prodding among the thyme bushes. It was a long time between getting signals. A lot of rubbish. I eventually got a signal in among the thyme bushes that was a bit more mellow but a good hit none the less.
      You may just see the detector hiding in the thyme bushes to the right of that tall spindly plant. Note the quartz gravels.

The signal was right in under a thyme bush & I had to hack into it to get a pin point on the target. It wasn't overly deep at about 4 inches when the target had moved. Waving the magnet thru the gravels nothing latched on to it. I ended up with a piece of quartz giving the signal.

I had in the past got numerous gold quartz specimens in this location & knew this was going to be another. I went back to my wagon, which wasn't very far away, to get my bottle of water to give it a wash.
      Before washing

I was pretty sure that little nobby bit was going to be gold.
      It was

No record breakers...but I will take it.
      I then re scanned the dig area & got another hit. No way I thought. Not another speci....I hopefully thought. No it wasnt.🤬 Three bloody nails. But right next the speci I got.

That was it for hours. I then worked my way back towards my wagon for a very late lunch & a much needed drink of water. On my way I thought I would detect the clay/gravels of an old timers dam that they had built across a gully to gather water behind it for their ground sluicing of these old workings. I had detected numerous pieces back in my GP 3000 days off this dam. The workings are to the left in among all those thyme bushes & the water was gathered on the right. That cutting in the dam wall above the detector is where the dam was breached...probably by the farmer.

First few signals were just rubbish but then where the detector is sitting in the above pic I got a nice mellow signal that came out of a very firm chunk of green schist & hard clay. Had to break it up with my pick when I got the signal isolated. And out popped this.

A prickly bit of gold within a bit of quartz.
      Well...that was it for the day. I got nothing more but my share of rubbish. And yes Simon....I got my share of pellets. I threw a lot of them into the briar rose bushes. I knew I would never be able to detect in among those.

A long hot hard day at that. But it was better than nothing I guess. Just.
      Cheers
      Good luck out there
      JW

• By Steve Herschbach
      Update January 2019 - I started reviewing detectors on the internet over twenty years ago. At the time it seemed I was providing a service since good information was hard to find. I enjoyed reviewing machines in detail for those who were interested. The internet was more friendly back in those days.
      Times have changed, and these days everyone with a video camera is a metal detector expert. In particular there is a trend where industry insiders like me are considered tainted sources of information, not to be trusted. Personally, I don’t need people questioning my integrity. I was doing this for fun and that sucked all the fun out of it. I am therefore no longer accepting invitations to test or review metal detecting equipment.
      That said, my thanks to those of you who have expressed your appreciation for my efforts over the years. You can find my collected detector reports here. The focus on this website going forward will be individual user reviews as part of the new Metal Detector Database with User Reviews. Check it out!