Interesting Find At The Local Swimming Hole Yesterday. Pics Added

Ice is starting to go out on the lakes here so I went down to the local swimming hole with the ID Edge & 6" coil for a go.  At first I had trouble with iron falsing on the large rusty spikes from the old Ice House that stood on this spot before the lake level was raised by a power dam.  With the Edge a proper GB is necessary and it took a few tries to find a spot to balance where it would settle down on the nails.

Picked up 8 quarters a few dimes and nickels some corroded pennies and a kids Mood ring.  After moving out a bit where the current was sweeping over a shallow bar I got a high coin hit and dug this.

IMG_20180425_064530691.jpg

IMG_20180425_062221843.jpg

A Brunswick Balke Collender Co. Pool Table Check Token, Good for 5 Cents, French & Hastings.  It's aluminum and has quite a bit of wear and some corrosion.  These are quite popular and some command high prices.  Did a search and could not find any attributed to "French & Hastings" so it appears to be an unlisted type.

Like I said not the greatest condition and I'm terrible at posting pics.  The Token is the same size as a quarter

Tom

• Like 8

Anyway to see a picture, Jackpine?

HH
Mike

I love finding tokens and that one is great. Better than silver sometimes. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 8:30 AM, Jackpine said:

It's aluminum and has quite a bit of wear and some corrosion.

IMO your pics came out fine.  The side with the 5c looks strong, and since this is the face that shows the local proprieter, that is probably the one you want to look best.  I really like old tokens (newer ones not so much) and the 5 cent (trade) value by itself is a good indication this one is old.  Today anything that costs 5 cents ain't worth a nickel.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, foreverteachable said:

Nice token. I will have to try out some of the old swimming holes in my kneck of the woods now that I have a waterproof detector on the way.

Believe me, all my local swimming spots will be given a going over again now that I have the Nox.  I started hunting them in the early 2000's and made many old ring finds along with the fresh drops.  Most are small beaches and they were gridded thoroughly! LOL