Equinox Ergonomics - The Challenge

57 minutes ago, steveg said:

ABSOLUTELY!

Allow folks to find the proper "wrist" angle, for them specifically, and that would solve a lot of issues IMO.  

Steve

This was an issue I saw from the proto testers for the Makro/Nokta machines, the field testers made suggestions to the company on how they wanted the fixed position handle or S-rod configured,  but it’s simply not a one size fits all solution.

I’ll give FTP one thing, although they seriously lack in current detector innovation, they do having world class ergonomics.

• Like 4

I didn't think there was anything wrong with it, but my son had trouble with it.  I mean coming from the 3030 I have stamina for days with this.  He liked the CTX feel better, but weight very quickly became an issue.  It is what it is.  I think the handle bulk is fine, but I am a bigger fella, I have heard others complain about that.  It makes sense to me as it is a great place to put the battery to keep things simple and compact.

• Like 2

No takers on the challenge? OK, this chart is from my latest update to the Waterproof VLF Metal Detector Comparison thread. The closest you will get to an Equinox in an underwater VLF for ergonomics are the brand new 3.0 lb Makro Kruzer models and the 3.0 lb Garrett AT models. These are all about the same weight, but also have the top mounted boxes and all will be slightly nose heavy due to no underarm counterbalance. The 4.23 lbs MX Sport does weigh over a pound more, but much of that is due to the 8 AA battery underarm pod that results in a well balanced detector.

waterproof-metal-detector-roundup-chart.jpg

• Like 1

I do own an MX Sport, and even with the weight distribution balance, prefer the Equinox if it only comes down to ergonomics (obviously there are other advantages).  I don't even mind the handle and I have, ahem, small hands.  I have the build for it I guess, I am as wide as I am short.  Swung it for basically 6 hours straight yesterday and still felt I could swing it for a couple more hours if I had to.  I own a Deus as most of you know, and I never find myself pining for the lightweight Deus during a marathon Equinox session.  I just don't think about it that way.  No detector is going to be the ergonomic nirvana for all detectorists because of different preferences and needs.  We are all built differently. 

The Deus user interface could be improved and while I think the Equinox is better in some respects, I have a few suggestions as well.

Overall, from my experience, the best designed detector from an ergonomics standpoint (that also has performance chops) is the First Texas F75 and T2 family of detectors.

IMO Bottom Line:  Equinox doesn't seem to be any better or worse, ergonomically, then any of the recent crop of detectors to come out in the last few years and if I were forced to lean one way or the other, I think it is better than most, waterproof or not.. 

Steve,

I'm not taking you up on the challenge but I will give a 'comparison' that could make any detector 'lighter' and more manageable.

I used an SE Pro for a few years before I bought a CTX.  I had no problems with it and the CTX while using the standard coil.  When I bought a 17 inch coil for the CTX I developed 'tennis elbow' after just a few uses.  I had to stop for a few days.  When I started back I used my hipstick for my 5000 and I could adjust the CTX 17" coil to weightless!  An added feature of this is that when you dig a hole the detector hangs there (sometimes in the way) but a wave at the beach is not going to grab it.  I have a bungee on it already.

I have not used my CTX since the arrival of the Nox.  It is still with me tho that I would like to take the hipstick and set up a lighter bungee and balance it to weightless.  No matter how light the Nox nothing beats an adjustable bungee for swinging long sweeps or short ones.

The Nox is usable for most of the day without stress or pain but a bungee COULD make it better.

Mitchel

• Like 2

I would agree with Brian regarding being able to adjust the handle. Not to the front or back angle but to be able to rotate it slightly to the right or left to relieve wrist and elbow tension. Just a few degrees of off set to the right for me,  being a lefty.

Otherwise, I have no complaints regarding ergonomics of the Nox. 

Dean

I also come from the GPZ and harnesses and Hipsticks - I have no issues with this little Equinox.. It is nose heavy but I'm over that. It works - what more can one ask?

The reality is, when it comes to ergonomics the bar has been set pretty low.  The Teknetics T2 & Fisher F75 have been on the pedestal many look up to, and their engineers definitely gave ergonomics considerable thought, but even they could be better.

Rather than complain, though, there are some simple tweaks one can do to improve things.  As an example, I saw someone complain about the loose arm cuff on the Eqx compared to the state-of-the-art adjustable width arm cuff of the T2/F75.  I never noticed the issue with either my Gold Bug Pro or X-Terra 705 until I started using the F75.  Then I noticed how, when I wasn't bundled up in sweaters and coats, that those detetctors moved around from side to side a lot when swinging.   So....  I put some single sided adhesive weather strip foam tape in the cuff of my Gold Bug Pro to tighten up the fit.  Not quite as good as the F75, but a lot better.

The Equinox is a great detector but that doesn't mean it can't improve.  To make matters worse it seems as though there has been a history of detector manufacturers not listening to their customers.  And there is always a right way and a wrong way to express one's wishes for improvement.  Still, I hope we don't get in the mode of putting detectors on pedestals that can't be heightened.