Steve Herschbach

Equinox Ergonomics - The Challenge

Coming from a fisher F70 with a nel hunter coil, the Nox is better balanced and may be a little lighter.  I think the ergos are pretty good for a detector with an 11" coil.  

57 minutes ago, steveg said:

ABSOLUTELY!

Allow folks to find the proper "wrist" angle, for them specifically, and that would solve a lot of issues IMO.  

Steve

This was an issue I saw from the proto testers for the Makro/Nokta machines, the field testers made suggestions to the company on how they wanted the fixed position handle or S-rod configured,  but it’s simply not a one size fits all solution.

I’ll give FTP one thing, although they seriously lack in current detector innovation, they do having world class ergonomics.

• Like 5

I didn't think there was anything wrong with it, but my son had trouble with it.  I mean coming from the 3030 I have stamina for days with this.  He liked the CTX feel better, but weight very quickly became an issue.  It is what it is.  I think the handle bulk is fine, but I am a bigger fella, I have heard others complain about that.  It makes sense to me as it is a great place to put the battery to keep things simple and compact.

• Like 2

No takers on the challenge? OK, this chart is from my latest update to the Waterproof VLF Metal Detector Comparison thread. The closest you will get to an Equinox in an underwater VLF for ergonomics are the brand new 3.0 lb Makro Kruzer models and the 3.0 lb Garrett AT models. These are all about the same weight, but also have the top mounted boxes and all will be slightly nose heavy due to no underarm counterbalance. The 4.23 lbs MX Sport does weigh over a pound more, but much of that is due to the 8 AA battery underarm pod that results in a well balanced detector.

waterproof-metal-detector-roundup-chart.jpg

• Like 2

I do own an MX Sport, and even with the weight distribution balance, prefer the Equinox if it only comes down to ergonomics (obviously there are other advantages).  I don't even mind the handle and I have, ahem, small hands.  I have the build for it I guess, I am as wide as I am short.  Swung it for basically 6 hours straight yesterday and still felt I could swing it for a couple more hours if I had to.  I own a Deus as most of you know, and I never find myself pining for the lightweight Deus during a marathon Equinox session.  I just don't think about it that way.  No detector is going to be the ergonomic nirvana for all detectorists because of different preferences and needs.  We are all built differently. 

The Deus user interface could be improved and while I think the Equinox is better in some respects, I have a few suggestions as well.

Overall, from my experience, the best designed detector from an ergonomics standpoint (that also has performance chops) is the First Texas F75 and T2 family of detectors.

IMO Bottom Line:  Equinox doesn't seem to be any better or worse, ergonomically, then any of the recent crop of detectors to come out in the last few years and if I were forced to lean one way or the other, I think it is better than most, waterproof or not.. 

Steve,

I'm not taking you up on the challenge but I will give a 'comparison' that could make any detector 'lighter' and more manageable.

I used an SE Pro for a few years before I bought a CTX.  I had no problems with it and the CTX while using the standard coil.  When I bought a 17 inch coil for the CTX I developed 'tennis elbow' after just a few uses.  I had to stop for a few days.  When I started back I used my hipstick for my 5000 and I could adjust the CTX 17" coil to weightless!  An added feature of this is that when you dig a hole the detector hangs there (sometimes in the way) but a wave at the beach is not going to grab it.  I have a bungee on it already.

I have not used my CTX since the arrival of the Nox.  It is still with me tho that I would like to take the hipstick and set up a lighter bungee and balance it to weightless.  No matter how light the Nox nothing beats an adjustable bungee for swinging long sweeps or short ones.

The Nox is usable for most of the day without stress or pain but a bungee COULD make it better.

Mitchel

• Like 2

I would agree with Brian regarding being able to adjust the handle. Not to the front or back angle but to be able to rotate it slightly to the right or left to relieve wrist and elbow tension. Just a few degrees of off set to the right for me,  being a lefty.

Otherwise, I have no complaints regarding ergonomics of the Nox. 

Dean

I also come from the GPZ and harnesses and Hipsticks - I have no issues with this little Equinox.. It is nose heavy but I'm over that. It works - what more can one ask?

The reality is, when it comes to ergonomics the bar has been set pretty low.  The Teknetics T2 & Fisher F75 have been on the pedestal many look up to, and their engineers definitely gave ergonomics considerable thought, but even they could be better.

Rather than complain, though, there are some simple tweaks one can do to improve things.  As an example, I saw someone complain about the loose arm cuff on the Eqx compared to the state-of-the-art adjustable width arm cuff of the T2/F75.  I never noticed the issue with either my Gold Bug Pro or X-Terra 705 until I started using the F75.  Then I noticed how, when I wasn't bundled up in sweaters and coats, that those detetctors moved around from side to side a lot when swinging.   So....  I put some single sided adhesive weather strip foam tape in the cuff of my Gold Bug Pro to tighten up the fit.  Not quite as good as the F75, but a lot better.

The Equinox is a great detector but that doesn't mean it can't improve.  To make matters worse it seems as though there has been a history of detector manufacturers not listening to their customers.  And there is always a right way and a wrong way to express one's wishes for improvement.  Still, I hope we don't get in the mode of putting detectors on pedestals that can't be heightened.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Mark Gillespie
      This is an added document that arrived with my Equinox.  Extremely important.
      Out of the 8 USB chargers in my house, none were UL certified.
      Trip to Wal-Mart is in order.
      Click for larger version....

• By Rick N. MI
      Use 5 tone. Set nails at -1 to -3 with lowest volume and low tone. For iron relics set -4 & down and set to a  louder volume and low tone and for non-ferrous set 0 to 40 a loud volume and high tone. Basically a 2 tone low for iron relic & high for non-ferrous. and a quiet tone for small iron. A 3 tone mode.
      With this setting you will hear iron relics hitting a low louder tone and you can dig or not. High tone is your non-ferrous. This is good setting if you want to dig iron relics like I do. Some areas you don't want to dig iron relics you change to 2 tone or what ever you want.   I think it's an interesting setting. The adjustments are great and easy in this detector.   Now all we need now is a 5x10 or 8" round coil.   Rick          
    • By Domenico
      Hi guys !
      Yes, I am a beach hunter, but I was invited to metall detecing on a WW1 field...

So the beach hunter I am was suddenly contemplating a huge corn field which has seen some ww1 Action...
      I chose to hunt before noon (2 hours) with the Equinox 800, and two hours in the afternoon with the Safari I happened to win at a detection rally two weeks ago.
      As you can tell from the posted pics, the Nox Found 18 targets, the Safari 32, but i felt the afternoon search was richer in targets...The best find of the day was a silver King Leopold II 1867 2 Francs (Belgium), a very rare coin, as it has only been minted from 1866-1868
      The nox got more tiny targets (low conductors), but the Safari was able to find some tiny targets too.
      I don't know what to think about the results about both detectors, but they are very close in my opinion.
      Those are the pics of this outing (round bullets are belgian, the others are german).

Happy hunting !

• By usaflaginmaine
      Hey friends. I remember seeing a post somewhere awhile back about changing the tones on the Nox to sound more like the Etrac or CTX 3030. Anyone know anything about this?
    • By Tiftaaft
      As I mentioned in the below thread, I received my 6 inch coil yesterday and couldn't wait to take it through the paces:
      Today, during a lunch break from work, I headed out to a local old and pounded park I have hunted countless hours with countless machines.  I have been amazed the life my Equinox brought back into this park.  My early year success is outlined here:
      So, with an hour to hunt, my E600 in hand, loaded with the 6 inch coil and original firmware (I am still testing old vs. new firmware using my E600 with original and E800 with new firmware), I set out.  I was running Park 1, 50 tone, Sensitivity 22 (pretty stable), Recovery 3 (6 on 800) and IB 1 (2 on 800) and walked into the area of the park I have hunted hardest to see if this rig could uncover anything I missed with all my other machines, including the E600 and E800 using stock coils. 
      My first target was a series of bouncy tones across about 4" of ground.  As I narrowed my swings, concentrating on the different tones, I was able to hear one solid mid tone that was 11-12 ID, but a couple of high tones that were more scratchy and not repeatable an inch or two away in two directions.  I pinpointed and it was evident that I had 2, maybe 3 targets there.  I chose to circle the mid-tone first.  While the depth meter on the 600 with old firmware isn't exact, the modulation on the pinpoint told me it was in the 4"-5" range.  So I dug.  I was expecting a pull tab, or beaver tail.  Both notorious for bouncing into the 12-13 range in my ground, but also occasionally giving off 11's and 14's.  My intent was to clear the trash, so I could better hone in on the higher tones sitting near this target.
      A little over 4" down:

I think it is a 1935... our ground is hard on nickels.  Only my 3rd Buffalo since I started detecting and my previous two were no-dates. 
      I refilled my hole, stood up and swept the coil over the area again... the high tones were still there, and equally as iffy as before, giving me numbers in the 21 to 26 range, and on every other pass or so.  But they pinpointed pretty tight.. I estimated 5"-6" based on the pinpoint tone on both.  A little ground excavating later and out popped:

Looks like a 40's and a 50's wheatie. 
      I have a little cleaning to do on all three of these coins, and they aren't ground breaking by numismatic standards, but I am thrilled.  And here is why:
      Three old coins that by all rights, should have been found previously, but weren't. I have a suspicion that the closeness of these coins would have given larger coils, even with fast recovery like the Equinox, troubles.  So the 6 inch coil came through in my opinion (I would bet that I was getting some type of blended tone previously... like a 15 or 16 on the Equinox as an example, which I chose not to dig thinking it was trash). In my soil, with the settings I was using, I think I was at the limit of detecting depth with these Wheaties... about 6".  So that is really good information for me.  Not that depth is everything, because I was able to separate between these three targets at depth.  Had I been thinking more scientifically, I would have tried to clean up the tones by dropping the recovery down to 2 (4 on the 800), or boosting the sensitivity up to 24 or 25.  Or I would have walked back to my car and grabbed the 800 with the stock 11" and documented what these targets read, and why I hadn't investigated them before.  Heat of the hunt and a lesche in my hand got the better of me. All three of these targets were dead center in my plug.  Which is somewhat expected when the coil itself is only 6", but just verification that the coil with this rig was pinpointing accurately.  Hopefully more results and finds to follow.
      HEH (Happy Equinox Hunting) to all,
      ~Tim.

• By dewcon4414
      Well i wondered when this would happen.   Ive got at least 700 hours on my Nox ... but this morning in shallow water she let me down.  Top part of the cuff broke off.   The cuffs are really to far apart and with the torques we put on them back and forth you may consider a metal one a better choice if you water hunt.   Kind of bad, i wanted to hunt with a couple of people from a few hours away who came for a few day and hadnt been able to because of the less that great weather.   So about an hour into it........ ugh.   But i kept pushing it along...... in the wet sand.   At least i got a 1.4 gram 18K (750) necklace charm for all that work lol.   Got home and called Jamie at ML........ new one coming Monday.   How bout that for FAST?  Thanks ML.    At least there were finally some trash to at least chase around so ...... road trip again tomorrow.   Like most of us ive got a few cuffs laying around.