Equinox Ergonomics - The Challenge

11 minutes ago, Ringmoney said:

The number of people who replied to the survey is less than half of Kellyco's Nox 800 waiting list.  LOL.  This straight vs. s-shaft thing is just personal preference.  Both sides will argue that one to death and a large contingent of folks will consider ML made a colossal blunder regardless of which shaft ML went with.  I think its funny that Plugger and Anderson have made a living out of putting straight shafts on S-shaft detectors (Excal and Deus to name but a few) and are now also making a living putting straight shafts on straight shaft detectors (the Equinox).  Neither configuration is the "perfect" solution AFAIC as I use both configurations without complaint.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

The number of people who replied to the survey is less than half of Kellyco's Nox 800 waiting list.  LOL.  This straight vs. s-shaft thing is just personal preference.  Both sides will argue that one to death.  I think its funny that Plugger and Anderson have made a living out of putting straight shafts on S-shaft detectors (Excal and Deus to name but a few) and are now also making a living putting straight shafts on straight shaft detectors (the Equinox).  Neither configuration is the "perfect" solution AFAIC as I use both configurations without complaint.

Exactly what I said its all about aesthetics these days and not ergonomics.

1 minute ago, Ringmoney said:

I prefer the straight shaft to the s stem . always thought the s stem was is unbalanced . 

Anyway its the machines capability that matters more . Every time i use it the Nox convinces me that it is a replacement for the Terra more and more . On my beaches i only wish it worked as well !! Its useless on the dry tops on my beaches "EMI" and for some reason i cannot stop it falsing in the water "beach 1 and 2 " . But it works well between the tide points but not deep . I will have to visit another beach , all these Youtube videos of it in the water pulling out coins and rings but i still dont see depth over 8 inches . :sad:

18 minutes ago, Ringmoney said:

Yeah, but you said earlier that ML make a huge step backwards from X-terra, which is your opinion, but it is probably only shared by ~50% of folks who own an Equinox because users are split on the issue.  My point is that no company would make a decision based on the above poll, even if it was 10,000 people because there is not enough differentiation between the two choices.  You are going to disappoint a huge swath of people regardless of which way you go, so just because they went with a straight shaft doesn't necessarily mean they "don't read all posts".    If it was 10,000 respondents and 90 to 10% split, ML might possibly sit up an take notice.  Lol.

I do agree, however, that it only makes sense to keep shaft and stem designs interchangeable amongst product lines, if possible.  I have also said it previously, ML could show some marketing innovation by offering Equinox in either shaft design because the control pod design facilitates easy production with either configuration with minimal investment in their production facilities from what I can tell.

4 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Yeah, but you said earlier that ML make a huge step backwards from X-terra, which is your opinion, but it is probably only shared by ~50% of folks who own an Equinox because users are split on the issue.  My point is that no company would make a decision based on the above poll, even if it was 10,000 people because there is not enough differentiation between the two choices.  You are going to disappoint a huge swath of people regardless of which way you go, so just because they went with a straight shaft doesn't necessarily mean they "don't read all posts".    If it was 10,000 respondents and 90 to 10% split, ML might possibly sit up an take notice.  Lol.

No they should of made the decision on the laws of physics/ergonomics. The S type with separate handle is best ergonomically over the straight or classic s types, and its not just my opinion, its fact. I know weight distribution can make any shaft design feel unbalanced and thus un-ergonomic, but why not just start out with the proven design in the first place???

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ringmoney said:

No they should of made the decision on the laws of physics/ergonomics. The S type with separate handle is best ergonomically over the straight or classic s types, and its not just my opinion, its fact. I know weight distribution can make any shaft design feel unbalanced and thus un-ergonomic, but why not just start out with the proven design in the first place???

So...I"m interested in where these "Facts" are. I have seen nothing that unequivocally proves that S types are more ergonomic. It remains opinionated...at least until an ergonomics testing facility does the proper testing to validate opinion.

4 hours ago, Ringmoney said:

I'm having trouble following the logic, earlier you said it was aesthetics (looks, subjective feelings) not ergonomics now you are saying just the opposite, it's now a "law of physics".  Since I don't really have a dog in the hunt as I could go either way, I am going to bow out of this whole shaft thing because it is getting exhausting running around in circles.  Thanks.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

I'm having trouble following the logic, earlier you said it was aesthetics (looks, subjective feelings) not ergonomics now you are saying just the opposite, it's now a "law of physics".  Since I don't really have a dog in the hunt as I could go either way, I am going to bow out of this whole shaft thing because it is getting exhausting running around in circles.  Thanks.

I couldn't be assed either to be honest :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Geeeeez I feel like I am in heaven with my Equinox looking down on all the people with issues of likes  and dislikes about it . After raring kids in this crazy world nothing bugs or annoys me anymore. ??

PS . I❤️ It Mr Minelab 

• Like 1

The ergonomic argument against the straight shaft is based on the fact that if you look at a straight shaft detector set-up from the side, then draw a line from the inside bottom of the arm cup through the center of the handle, that line projects out to a point well above (in front of) the junction of the shaft with the coil.  This results in torque (twisting) when you initiate or reverse a swing with the coil.  This force must be resisted by your body.  It also introduces twisting strains on the handle mount and the joints in the rod. Here’s a quick and dirty sketch.D2A336AD-35E3-4BB8-99F4-F5DA3A38E899.thumb.jpeg.f18350d45f1bc3b70b3ea3c30752a8dd.jpeg