Equinox Ergonomics - The Challenge

As far as a "challenge" goes the "waterproofness" is irrelevant to me but as to the matter of ergonomics this is the only real improvement the Equinox needs , a decent arm cuff which doesn't require a strap and that allows you to slip your arm in and out with a snug fit as the result. Amazing what you can do with a heat gun a piece  of ABS

P4280020 (Medium).JPG

• Like 1

Just now, Dusty said:

As far as a "challenge" goes the "waterproofness" is irrelevant to me but as to the matter of ergonomics this is the only real improvement the Equinox needs , a decent arm cuff which doesn't require a strap and that allows you to slip your arm in and out with a snug fit as the result. Amazing what you can do with a heat gun a piece  of ABS

P4280020 (Medium).JPG

Nice work.

Dean

1 hour ago, flakmagnet said:

I also come from the GPZ and harnesses and Hipsticks - I have no issues with this little Equinox.. It is nose heavy but I'm over that. It works - what more can one ask?

When the 17" (or larger) coil becomes available for the Nox I expect to start using the hipstick again!

Coming off of the CTX, 17" coil, and the GPX, 12.5", 12x15", 17x21"coils, The Equinox is a breeze :laugh: 9 hour hunts and no issues so far. Haven't had any issues with it being nose heavy, but that is probably because I'm comparing it to that 17x21" snowshoe coil. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Why only compare it to other waterproof detectors? Why not compare it to, lets say the X-Terra? Its totally beyond me why Minelab took a step backwards by putting a straight shaft on the Equinox when they all had the perfect design? In all fairness how much extra would it cost to put a pair of bends in the middle shaft. Its all about aesthetics these days and not ergonomics. They, at least could have made the middle shaft interchangeable with X-Terra middle shaft, bet the sales of X-Terra middles would have gone through the roof.

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

No takers on the challenge? OK, this chart is from my latest update to the Waterproof VLF Metal Detector Comparison thread. The closest you will get to an Equinox in an underwater VLF for ergonomics are the brand new 3.0 lb Makro Kruzer models and the 3.0 lb Garrett AT models. These are all about the same weight, but also have the top mounted boxes and all will be slightly nose heavy due to no underarm counterbalance. The 4.23 lbs MX Sport does weigh over a pound more, but much of that is due to the 8 AA battery underarm pod that results in a well balanced detector.

waterproof-metal-detector-roundup-chart.jpg

The Kruzers have an optional underarm battery pod that would likely result in a well balanced detector for water hunting, but of course it adds weight (although it wouldn't likely be much IMO).  

It’s a fact of life some people wouldn’t be happy if you hung them with a new rope.

I think the Equinox is worthless. My reasoning behind this is I’m finding lots of coins but not enough rings.

If that is not reason enough I don’t know what is.

Chuck

6ECA85F2-7726-4339-8254-F4D733645AC0.jpeg

B372F1CA-7D74-40B5-9CAA-23C4508CEB5F.jpeg

• Like 1