phrunt

Gold Bug Pro Sensitivity To Small Nuggets And The GB2

I was wondering about the Gold Bug Pro sensitivity to small nuggets, In my testing which is mainly air testing (which is naughty I know) and in ground testing where I've buried nuggets myself (also not ideal) It seems reasonably sensitive but I don't believe as good as my Gold Monster 1000 which I know is a higher frequency which should make it more sensitive to small nuggets.

It's just I read this today by TrinityAU who has a lot of experience on the GBP which has now got me a bit confused as hes indicating its as good as the GB2 in finding tiny gold.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You guys still using the GBII, it is a great detector, I have literally found pounds of gold with my three over the years. It was hard for me to change from the GBII to the GB Pro. In my opinion the GB Pro just does so much more when you learn how to use it. It goes far deeper on big and little. It works in soils that the GBII had to fight. It stays balanced better. It is waterproof. It has a far easier learning curve for beginners. The GB Pro is far cheaper, less batteries, longer battery life and the discrimination on anything over half a gram is fantastic. For those not wanting people to know their business it breaks down into a pack better. As stated above I know the GB Pro will find the same tiny sub-grainers as the GBII can, only difference is it does it with more ease as far as I am concerned. These are all my opinions, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this one here is a quote from our very own Steve H.

So down to two models, the Fisher Gold Bug Pro and Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold. Both under the magic 3 pound mark! Both with extremely powerful all metal modes. So powerful that in all metal mode these detectors give the PI units a run for depth in most ground on most gold in the US. 

I haven't yet had the opportunity to find a tiny nugget with it although it has found me one single bit of gold some time ago and I will find it hard to pick up and use now that I have a GM1000 and an Equinox 800 but I do want to use it, especially seeing I bought two of them and lots of coils for them.  I have the 10" elliptical coil and also a Nel Snake and Nel Sharpshooter for it so I have a decent array of coils.

I have found in my basic testing it feels almost as good as the other detectors I own and it feels in some instances better.

I was wondering what peoples opinions are on the GBP vs these really high frequency VLFS and if it's even worth me using it when I have the Equinox 800 and the GM1000 if they're much better than it.  If they're a lot better I obviously wouldn't want to waste my time on the GBP.

My main reason for asking is I'm thinking of offloading them as I'm unlikely to ever use them if they're redundant by my other detectors.  I was intending to keep them for my wife to use but shes made it clear she has no intentions of ever gold detecting, I probably put her off with all the shotgun pellets I come home with :unsure:

Thanks

• Like 1

I can't help you with the GBII vs. GBPro vs. Monster1000, but I do note that Ray Mills's comment "It (BGPro) is waterproof" is not accurate.  The Fisher coils for it are waterproof, but not the control unit.  I know that from experience since mine got wet in a light rain and quit working.  I did the obvious:  remove the battery immediately, open the case, dry it out carefully with both paper towel and canned air, and let it sit open for the remainder of evaporation process.  Worked fine after that.

• Like 2

The Gold Bug 2 is a little bit more sensitive to the tiniest bits. The Gold Bug Pro gets a little better depth on the larger bits.

14 hours ago, phrunt said:

was wondering what peoples opinions are on the GBP vs these really high frequency VLFS and if it's even worth me using it when I have the Equinox 800 and the GM1000 if they're much better than it.  If they're a lot better I obviously wouldn't want to waste my time on the GBP.

I don't think other people’s opinions matter much. What I do is get detectors I am interested in. I use them, decide which ones work best for me, and then sell the others. I can only use one detector at a time, and I naturally grab the ones I like the most and let the others sit. They sit long enough, I sell them.

Since you have the detectors in question I recommend you do the same. You are not going to get black and white answers. No one machine is going to be 100% better at all things - it is all little trades as you noted yourself I have found in my basic testing it feels almost as good as the other detectors I own and it feels in some instances better.” They all work and all can find gold so at the end of the day it just boils down to which one you prefer, and only you can answer that question.

In the case of my article I was specifically comparing mid-frequency machines and higher frequency units were not even part of the discussion.

I have always suggested that the well outfitted prospector needs both a good PI detector and a good VLF detector. The VLF can be a good mid-frequency like a Gold Bug Pro, or a high frequency model like the Gold Bug 2. Or both.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Steve

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The Gold Bug 2 is a little bit more sensitive to the tiniest bits. The Gold Bug Pro gets a little better depth on the larger bits.

I don't think other people’s opinions matter much. What I do is get detectors I am interested in. I use them, decide which ones work best for me, and then sell the others. I can only use one detector at a time, and I naturally grab the ones I like the most and let the others sit. They sit long enough, I sell them.

I think I know my solution, I haven't really spent any time on my GBP's since I became more capable of finding nuggets so perhaps the one way I will know is to force myself to use it.  Kiwijw encouraged me to put down my Monster to try my Equinox for prospecting and I found 5 bits with it on my first mission.  I find it hard to put down a detector I feel confident on and I will come home with some gold using to risk coming home with nothing. I think my solution is to force myself to only take my GBP and take it to this shallow bedrock shotgun pellet place Kiwijw took me to a couple of times and test it out there.  Not even take my other detectors as if I do and I'm struggling to find anything with the GBP I'd end up walking back to the car and swapping it over.  If I can go the entire day and find nothing I should get rid of them, If I even find one bit which would be considered my worst day there, they should stay.

I'm starting to understand why prospectors like a threshold and why it can be an important feature, not just an annoying noise. The threshold on my Equinox showed me it can help me find something I'd otherwise miss.  I may even have to start using headphones sometimes and I hate headphones!!!!!

My wife made is clear to me yesterday she's not going to do gold prospecting which is why I thought they had a purpose and she also is starting to complain about me having too many detectors cluttering up the house which is what sparked this line of questioning.

Kiwijw has a nice little wooden detector rack in his garage although its overflowed and hes had to store some elsewhere too, maybe I need to knock something like that up rather than keeping them in the house and have a few extra mounts in it just in case :laugh:

The only Fisher dealer in NZ sells the GPB with just the 5" coil for $1030, I could never justify selling them for anywhere near that sort of price when you can buy a GM1000 for that with 2 coils, not even half that seems reasonable to me.

http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/

I might just try swap them for something if I decide to offload them, I don't like selling things.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, phrunt said:

I may even have to start using headphones sometimes and I hate headphones!!!!!

Do you feel the same about earbuds?  I assume the fact that you've been using the unit's speaker means it's pretty quiet where you hunt.  I would have thought you have wind there in the mountains....  Anyway, if it's the discomfort of headphones that bothers you then earbuds should alleviate that, and with the Equinox you can even avoid cables/wires if you get the compatible low latency (aptX) bluetooth kind.  (Not all of those avoid wires since some are attached to each other.  At least those don't have wires interfering with your swing.)  Here's an example of a set which doesn't have wires (but I don't know enough to say these are 100% compatible with the Equinox):  https://www.amazon.com/STERIO-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headphones-Sweatproof/dp/B077RYNF82/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1524748073&sr=8-30&keywords=aptx+earbuds

To get a set of earbuds compatible with all your detectors you'll need to go the external receiver (e.g. WM08) or external transmitter receiver (e.g. Garrett Z-link) route or just attach the earbuds directly to the control unit (obviously the awkard way to go since you are then tethered to your detector).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Do you feel the same about earbuds?  I assume the fact that you've been using the unit's speaker means it's pretty quiet where you hunt.  I would have thought you have wind there in the mountains....  Anyway, if it's the discomfort of headphones that bothers you then earbuds should alleviate that, and with the Equinox you can even avoid cables/wires if you get the compatible low latency (aptX) bluetooth kind.  (Not all of those avoid wires since some are attached to each other.  At least those don't have wires interfering with your swing.)  Here's an example of a set which doesn't have wires (but I don't know enough to say these are 100% compatible with the Equinox):  https://www.amazon.com/STERIO-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headphones-Sweatproof/dp/B077RYNF82/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1524748073&sr=8-30&keywords=aptx+earbuds

To get a set of earbuds compatible with all your detectors you'll need to go the external receiver (e.g. WM08) or external transmitter receiver (e.g. Garrett Z-link) route or just attach the earbuds directly to the control unit (obviously the awkard way to go since you are then tethered to your detector).

I think it's more being tethered to something I dislike, and also I don't really like not overly hearing what's going on around me and headphones do tend to block out the outside noise.  It's mostly dead silent where we have been hunting, unless its at a creek, then there is the massive flow of water causing noise but in the creeks it's the domain of the GM1000 for me, and its speaker is nice 'n loud.

The mountains can have various weather and now coming into winter it's going to be more risky but it seems every time Kiwijw's taken me anywhere we just strike magical weather, even if the forecast says otherwise it ends up being perfect.  I guess if the wind comes up I will be forced to wear headphones but fortunately it hasn't happened so far.

I haven't tried earbuds but they might be a good option for me, I've invested in a bluetooth aptx low latency transmitter so I can make any of my detectors compatible with my Equinox wireless headphones, I haven't used it yet other than to test it works, which it does.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ugreen-Bluetooth-4-2-Receiver-Transmitter-2-in-1-Wireless-3-5mm-Adapter-aptX-Low-Latency/32854912035.html

It means my Gm1000, GBP's, T2 and and any other detector with a headphone output can be wireless.  I just cable tie the transmitter to the detector and off i go.  It will make headphones bearable but I will probably get some aptx bluetooth earbuds and give them a try.

Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I've invested in a bluetooth aptx low latency transmitter so I can make any of my detectors compatible with my Equinox wireless headphones, I haven't used it yet other than to test it works, which it does.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ugreen-Bluetooth-4-2-Receiver-Transmitter-2-in-1-Wireless-3-5mm-Adapter-aptX-Low-Latency/32854912035.html

That sounds like the right solution (minimal components and lowest cost) as long as you are getting (or already have) aptX headphones or earbuds.  If someone happens to have a favorite pair of non-Bluetooth headphones to connect then he'll need to go the more expensive route that I described for the GBPro and T2.

15 minutes ago, phrunt said:

...It seems every time Kiwijw's taken me anywhere we just strike magical weather, even if the forecast says otherwise it ends up being perfect.

May I borrow him for the (northern hemisphere) summer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, we will see how it goes with the wireless solution, unfortunately I can't fire up my detectors this weekend, its my wife's birthday weekend so I will have to wait until next weekend unless I find the time to slip out during the week.

I am sure he'd love a trip to America for some prospecting :laugh:

I have tested out my wireless bluetooth transmitter on my GM1000, T2 and GBP's now, works a treat, they can all use the wireless Equinox headphones and its response time is very fast, so I'm quite happy about that.  I need to work out the best mounting option to the detector yet but other than that, I'm very happy with it. 

• Like 2

I ended up leaving my Equinox at home and taking out both of my GBP's on a prospecting trip.  I took my Monster along so it had some company as I had a plan I used each for about half the day.  I got skunked but that's not the point.

The Monster was finding shotgun pellets all over the place, unfortunately about one every meter of swinging, some of them were quite deep, it also found a fair few 22 shells but no gold. John (kiwijw) found a bit of gold and he put it on the ground and a big rock over it and we tested the GBP on it, It found it no problems in that situation.

After lunch I switched over to the GBP and ran it the rest of the day. I cranked it up to full sensitivity and had a nice smooth threshold with that turned to about the 1 o'clock position.  It wasn't finding as many pellets as the Monster so I assume it wasn't going as deep, but it was still finding them.  It was rather nice having a break from digging pellets but I then knew if I was going to find any Gold with it, the Gold had to be bigger than a pellet.

I then hear the beautiful sound of John's GPZ in the distance hitting some gold and he calls me over to run my GBP over the ground before he touched it as I think he knew it was a bit of gold..  The GBP picked it up fine and gave me VDI numbers of between 20 and 40 passing over it.  John asked what that meant with the GBP, I said I don't know but Steve said those numbers are in the Gold Range so he dug it up using the GBP to work out where it was in the hole.  It was relatively deep too, surprised me how well the GBP picked it up for its size and depth.

I have no doubt with some experience on the GBP I could do alright with it especially if there was bigger gold around, but I'm certain it's no match for the Monster on small gold at depth just by how few pellets I dug with it compared to the Monster.  I think it would do pretty good in creeks finding gold in the bedrock cracks though and its speaker is super loud so suitable for that without the need for headphones.  It also has no touch sensitivity on the coil like the Monster can.

I guess right now it seems like my GBP's have reached retirement age at about 9 months old.  Not because they're bad detectors, but because I have better so there is no point lowering my chances by using them.

I won't bother selling them, I'll keep them as decorations and use them as pinpointers and creek detectors if my Monster is away for repair.

11 hours ago, phrunt said:

I ended up taking both of my GBP's on a prospecting trip.  I took my Monster along so it had some company as I had a plan I used each for about half the day.  I got skunked but that's not the point.

The Monster was finding shotgun pellets all over the place, unfortunately about one every meter of swinging, some of them were quite deep, it also found a fair few 22 shells but no gold. 

After lunch I switched over to the GBP and ran it the rest of the day. I cranked it up to full sensitivity and had a nice smooth threshold with that turned to about the 1 o'clock position.  It wasn't finding as many pellets as the Monster so I assume it wasn't going as deep, but it was still finding them.  It was rather nice having a break from digging pellets but I then knew if I was going to find any Gold with it, the Gold had to be bigger than a pellet.

I have no doubt with some experience on the GBP I could do alright with it especially if there was bigger gold around, but I'm certain it's no match for the Monster on small gold at depth just by how few pellets I dug with it compared to the Monster.  I think it would do pretty good in creeks finding gold in the bedrock cracks though and its speaker is super loud so suitable for that without the need for headphones.  It also has no touch sensitivity on the coil like the Monster can.

OK Simon, just as long as you are sure. I would have been tempted to do side-by-side comparisons over those pellets. You didn't mention the pellet size, say compared to a dime or some other universally known item size. Now I don't presume to advise you since I don't have these detector models to do a comparison here, but I would be curious to compare both models over slightly larger gold / lead targets at progressively deeper depths.

In any event, you have to go with the detector that is most effective over the size of gold generally anticipated in your area.  I can't comment on the Monster's capabilities, but do respect the GoldBug Pro's ability to find reasonably small shallow material in highly mineralized ground here, while at the same time it significantly surpasses my GoldBug2 on larger stuff as target depth increases (say a half-gram and larger). Interesting discussion, thanks Simon...

Jim.  

• Like 3