Help Needed After First Trip Out

Took my Equinox 800 out for first trip ever since I bought it and went to an older local park. Wish I could stay it was great, but had a very frustrating day and only found 10 coins for $.41 in 3 1/2 hours. I have used a Whites XLT for 14 years , so, I guess the learning curve will be greater than I thought with the Equinox even though I'm obviously not new to metal detecting.  Even though I tried all the modes, thoroughly read the manual numerous times, did noise cancel in each mode, ground balance in each mode, used different recovery speeds, and iron bias I still had problems with bad signals, bad target Id, pin pointing, lots of noise./chatter.   I tried turning down the sensitivity way down to 14-15 but didn't help much.  After digging some deep holes I discovered this park did have a quite extensive old  metal sprinkler system with pipes and heads about 9-12 inches deep that I would guess was maybe largely responsible for my difficulties.   The depth system with the shovels is not all that accurate.  Some of my targets on the surface were reading 6-8 inches deep. After reading all about the Equinox on various sites I know it is better than it was today.  I realize if there's no coins at a location even the very very best detector isn't going to find anything.  I did not experience any of these problems in my test garden in the back yard, so, Im assuming this park had some type of issues I couldn't overcome at  least with my limited knowledge of the Equinox.  This is not meant as a criticism of the Equinox .  Just trying to do better next time.  Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks. 

• Like 1

Walter,

I think you overdosed on way too much tweaking.  For a park you should have started out in Park 1 with no adjustments and just hunted.  As many have pointed out, the presets on the Equinox are quite good.  Do a factory reset with the detector and then don't screw with anything in terms of adjustments.  Turn the detector on, select Park 1, noise cancel and then hunt.  There should be no need to ground balance, change modes or mess with any adjustments.  If the park is really trashy, just start out digging good targets like quarters and dimes and leave the low conductors alone for the moment. 

The detector is very easy to use.  No need to over think it.

Hope this helps.  Others here have a lot more hours than I do on my 800 so I'm sure they will pitch in with advice as well.

Good luck, you'll get it!

Bill

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

Walter,

I think you overdosed on way too much tweaking.  For a park you should have started out in Park 1 with no adjustments and just hunted.  As many have pointed out, the presets on the Equinox are quite good.  Do a factory reset with the detector and then don't screw with anything in terms of adjustments.  Turn the detector on, select Park 1, noise cancel and then hunt.  There should be no need to ground balance, change modes or mess with any adjustments.  If the park is really trashy, just start out digging good targets like quarters and dimes and leave the low conductors alone for the moment. 

The detector is very easy to use.  No need to over think it.

Hope this helps.  Others here have a lot more hours than I do on my 800 so I'm sure they will pitch in with advice as well.

Good luck, you'll get it!

Bill

I had all the modes still on the factory pre-sets. I started with Park 1, then Park 2, then Field 1, and then Field 2. I didn't tweak any of the settings for these modes. I was getting very few good signals.  Didn't get any quarters at all when I have averaged 20-30 coins at this park in a 2 hour period with my Whites XLT. Thanks for thew reply. 

• Like 1

Chase I agree 100% with you. I had good luck my 1st two outings so I wanted better luck. Well I started to try all sorts of settings and thinking gold rings and deep silver was going to jump out of the ground. All I had was a mess and I went and sat down and did a factory reset. All I did was adjust the sensitivity and boom the clad was almost jumping out of the ground. 

I probably have 60 hours on the Equinox now and other than screwing up on beach settings the 1st time out I am a firm believer that if I sweep over it I will find it.

I have very little emi and I don't need to ground balance. I am happy finding 90% of what's there because the next guy will miss it too. 

• Like 2

Dont be too disheartened its gunna take a little while to learn a new tecta

I went from an Etrac & CTX3030 and find the Nox very very different

I dug everything for the first 2 hunts to learn the basics

Try and find a quiet spot away from any EMI and enjoy the fresh air and the hunt :smile:

• Like 2

Excellent advice there Chase, like the old saying learn to walk before you run.

• Like 2