What To Expect Go Find 40 -> Equinox 800

New member here, long time lurker. My Equinox 800 that I pre-ordered back in November has finally shipped. Trying to understand what to expect moving from a Minelab Go Find 40 that I've had for about a year (my first and only detector) to the 800.

The go find 40 has been a lot of fun - had really good luck when I first got it but lately I've found it very difficult to retrieve targets in soil or sand. I end up finding good signals but end up digging endlessly and often am unable to retrieve anything (I've dug some massive holes in my back yard chasing signals). I have a decent pinpointer (the MI-6) but am still struggling. When I watch youtube I always see folks dig very precise plugs and almost always find something!

Will the 800 help me get more precise with target retrieval areas or is my retrieval technique just off? Nothing is more frustrating then digging a hole and coming up empty handed...

That's like going from kindergarten sports to the major leagues, you'll love the EQ800. 

Put the time in to learn it, and start off simple (presets) and you'll do great with it. 

Every time I use my EQ800 it amazes me with some new feat it accomplishes that makes me go wow, it's really a solid detector IMO. 

Welcome and HH,
Cal

• Like 2

nwprospector --

It is possible your technique is "off," in terms of pinpointing.  You might practice it a bit, with above-ground objects that you can see, and see if your technique works well.

It is possible you are detecting tiny targets, and then struggling to find them once you dig the plug.

It is possible you are detecting very large, very deep targets, which the machine (due to the size of object and thus the strength of the signal) thinks is a shallow target (even though it's not).

It is possible you are picking up shallow targets with the edges of the coil, and assuming them to be at the center of the coil (which would result in you digging several inches "off to the side.")

There are a lot of variables, and unless I was there watching, it's hard to say what is going on specifically.

Are you aware of the "wiggle back" method?  Do you "cross" your target from two different angles, from 90 degrees apart, when pinpointing?  These two methods -- the "wiggle back," and the "make an 'X' from two different angles 90 degrees apart" are the two best ways to pinpoint.  

Overall, the Equinox is an extremely accurate machine, that is easy to poinpoint with, BUT -- you have to know, and use, proper technique, and you have to be aware that the machine's coil is "hot" around the edges, which can at times throw you off (until you know that and know how to account for it, on a shallower target).

If you know anyone locally who is an experienced detectorist, and could hook up with them for a bit, it would likely go a long way toward helping you to iron out whatever pinpointing/target-locating issues you are having...

Steve

• Like 1

I would echo what Brian and Steve said. I don't even use the PP feature on the Nox. I do the 90* cross check method which is very accurate with this coil. Steve's suggestion about practicing PPing with visible targets is a good one. Good luck!

Dean

• Like 1

A pinpointing exercise I learned involved taping coins to irregularly sized flat pieces of cardboard.  Flip the cardboard onto the ground (coin side down) then attempt to PP the coins.  You can even go so far as poking holes through the cardboard with a pen or golf tee at the point where you think the coin might be to see how close you are.  Great way to practice and compare different pinpointing techniques without the underlying bias that results from seeing the object you are pinpointing while you are pinpointing it.

Not sure, but I think the coils on the Go Find series detectors are square coaxial, which is inherently easier to pinpoint with than a DD coil since the target pinpoints in the center of the coil vs. along the vertical center spine of a DD coil which represents the active region of the DD coil. Can't explain the degradation in your pinpointing techniques but suggest the above exercise to get your PP mojo back.

• Like 2

Thanks for everyones input. My 800 came last night, charged it and took it out this AM before work - wow... Was able to easily retrieve targets with every signal I hit. Found a 1940's penny in my back yard and a very old Winchester shotgun shell - along with a bunch of trash (only searched a small area)... I think I agree that the go-find 40 can't be compared (has not worked well for me) - the equinox just worked out of the box.

The cross locating technique and pinpointing on the machine is working well.

I'm pretty happy with this machine, can't wait to take it to the beach this weekend.

• Like 2