Latest News On The QED ?

From what I can gather the PL2 updates haven't changed a lot, if any, since the video apart from the addition of the beach mode. They should operate fairly similarly. The reason for my recent updates was mainly to change the outlay of the detector so software was done while there. There's no constant need to be sending it back/forth for upgrades phrunt - it would only be ever required if some improvement were made that you just had to have.

I'm no operational expert but to me the ground balance is fairly obviously not 100% although the operator in the vid may prefer it like that? I've never been a bloke to shoot a video & probably never will be but would try to offer any operating advice to the best of my knowledge that I could.

Goldenoldie I couldn't really careless what anyone thinks of the QED or how it operates but as a user for close to a year felt I may be able to add to this QED topic. Why are you here??

17 minutes ago, AussieMatt said:

Why are you here??

Looking towards purchasing one at some stage although I read more negative comments than positive, except for a few.

I am curious is there any other reason other than the GB issue that you have highlighted that may cause the QED to have spurious noises from the ground, such as displayed in the video?

goldenoldie, like Matt I am not into making videos. Got better things to do with my time, and there are always people who just like to pick holes in such videos.

As to the 'spurious' sounds you refer to, I thought the QED in the comparison video was quieter than the other machines. If you are referring to the demonstration video, then it was stated that it was hot ground and any detector will be noisy on hot ground unless it is detuned to the point of being almost useless.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 4:11 AM, Reg Wilson said:

Lanny, there is a super light weight PI built here in Australia, at a good price. I use one and love it. Unfortunately it is not yet available in the USA. It is called the QED. It is being constantly improved by the dedicated inventor. Hope one day you will be able to get one.

Hi Reg Wilson,

Can you tell how much the price is of the QED in US dollars, and where/how I can order a QED PI detector in Australia from over seas.

Would appreciate it, if you can give me a link to their website!

Thanks in advance

Whitbey, the outlet for QED in Australia is Detech Australia. Your search engine will soon turn that up for you, and the price in Australian dollars is $1,850. The exchange rate at the moment I think is probably around one Australian dollar equals 75 US cents, so that would mean a QED would cost less than US$1,400. You will find Pete at Detech a very helpful guy who knows his stuff.

If I can be of any further help please let me know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reg Wilson said:

goldenoldie, .......there are always people who just like to pick holes in such videos.

As to the 'spurious' sounds you refer to......, If you are referring to the demonstration video, then it was stated that it was hot ground and any detector will be noisy on hot ground unless it is detuned to the point of being almost useless.

Thanks Reg and you have hit the nail right on its head, as the saying goes, from what you have said of which I have quoted.

18 hours ago, goldenoldie said:

Looking towards purchasing one at some stage although I read more negative comments than positive, except for a few.

I am curious is there any other reason other than the GB issue that you have highlighted that may cause the QED to have spurious noises from the ground, such as displayed in the video?

In my experience/opinion the QED will behave like that for 2 reasons - 1. Because your ground balance isn't right (assuming other things like bias, Threshold A, gain & mode are set for the area/coil etc.)                                       2. The ground is very mineralised & upsets it (+ other machines).

The only reason I commented was because it has also been my experience that more mineralised ground has balanced at a higher number for me with the QED i.e. 110+ vs. 89 in the video. That isn't to say that the operator doesn't have it set up as required but it was only my opinion that it may not have been 100% due to the low ground balance number - it wasn't my intention to pick holes in the video or the QED. Infact my intention was to indicate that it can & does operate better than any video will likely prove or disprove. Perhaps some reactive ground does indeed balance to lower numbers but it's not something I've experienced myself with my QED. Another QED user has previously told me he gets low (in the 80's) ground balance numbers in his area on ground he describes as high mineralisation which is several hundred kilometres from my area so it is feasible just not something I've experienced or seen before. Hope that clears it up a bit. 

• Like 2

Matt, totally agree. My prototype balances much higher than my production model, but rarely can I balance my production model much lower than 100. 89 also seems a bit low to me.

2 hours ago, Whitbey said:

Hi Reg Wilson,

Can you tell how much the price is of the QED in US dollars, and where/how I can order a QED PI detector in Australia from over seas.

Would appreciate it, if you can give me a link to their website!

Thanks in advance

I linked to the QED websites on the first page of this thread. Here they are again....

QED Metal Detector Website

QED Detech Complete Package