Latest News On The QED ?

"Looks like the area has been freshly dozed ? Nugget was very shallow as a result, and could have been found with a cheap VLF"

Correct. Doze and detect operation. Thousands of ozs found that way with VLF's in earlier times.

Welcome aboard.

26 minutes ago, jrbeatty said:

"Looks like the area has been freshly dozed ? Nugget was very shallow as a result, and could have been found with a cheap VLF"

Correct. Doze and detect operation. Thousands of ozs found that way with VLF's in earlier times.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks JR, interesting ground, the QED certainly did holler on that shallow piece !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Syncline said:

Thanks JR, interesting ground, the QED certainly did holler on that shallow piece !

Syncline: Hollers just as well on the deep ones - - - :wink:

1 minute ago, phrunt said:

looked like the poor guy had to dig through concrete! I'm more impressed his pick survived it :laugh:

How is the QED going on small sub gram gold these days? 

Still killing them, Phrunt.

I reckon it would shine in NZ conditions as well, but you guys are overloaded with detectors already - - - :biggrin:

A question for you Reg and JR. 

To be honest I haven't watched many vids on the QED as I'm not in the market for one but the audio in that vid certainly seemed different to what I've seen on other PIs and the GPZ. 

Seemed like a more digitized audio and also no threshold.  More like a VLF.  Was that a normal audio type noise for the QED or were they perhaps running a 'bogenes' type set-up? 

Thanks, Northeast.  

• Like 1

Yeah Northeast, very different sounds. It takes some getting used to after the Minelabs, which is why new users sometimes adapt more readily.

Threshold is present in that vid as a mosquito like background hum. This is fully adjustable, as is the pitch.  With the Minelab GPX's you are limited to certain preset timings (fine gold, sharp, sensitive smooth etc)  The selectable variability between "Mode"  and "Bias" on the QED means these timings are, by contrast, infinitely variable.

Just about every detecting parameter is fully adjustable, and the trick is to set them to the particular ground conditions you are working. In this respect the QED is not a switch on and go machine. It can be set to a "hair trigger" for locating faint deep targets or can be run in a far less sensitive way for patch hunting.

It is whatever you, the operator, set it to be.

A review from a previously somewhat skeptical Moderator on PA forum (TathraDJ, bottom of page) here:

1 hour ago, jrbeatty said:

Threshold is present in that vid as a mosquito like background hum.

Went back and turned it right up - can just hear it between the talking and the scraping. 

1 hour ago, jrbeatty said:

The selectable variability between "Mode"  and "Bias" on the QED means these timings are, by contrast, infinitely variable.

That's an interesting point.  I took the time recently to watch SteelPat's presentation about the timings and other settings on the various Minelabs so the presets Vs variable timings could certainly be a game changer - for the experienced user

I did read TathraDJ's review.  Follow PA in general pretty closely and have certainly been watching the QED threads.  Nice that they have made a seperate area just for the QED now. 

Here and PA are the only forums I look at.  I'm hoping to secure some sort of a referral sponsorship deal with Steve H for the amount of times I have placed a link for "Steve's Gold Detector Reviews" for the newbies enquiring about the different detector models  ?

• Haha 2

Syncline, Have been updated on that spot. It had been raked, but not dozed. That is why you can see an edge on the video. If it had been dozed the white clay bottom would have been more clearly exposed.