Sign in to follow this  
Reg Wilson

Latest News On The QED ?

On 4/23/2018 at 7:40 PM, Lanny said:

(How I wish some fine company would produce a light-weight gold-hungry pulse machine with excellent capabilities or that Minelab would find a way to lighten the technology package of their GPZ 7000. Wouldn't that be great?)

Lanny, there is a super light weight PI built here in Australia, at a good price. I use one and love it. Unfortunately it is not yet available in the USA. It is called the QED. It is being constantly improved by the dedicated inventor. Hope one day you will be able to get one.

• Like 1

Sounds very interesting Reg. I wonder, does it have a good discriminator with a digital readout for ID'ing target responses? With a combination like that, and a nice selection of coils, it would be a dream machine indeed! But, perhaps it will take a while to incorporate wish list items like that.

All the best, and thanks for your response,

Lanny

How does the QED perform compared to the Minelabs such as the GPX 4500? 

Thanks Steve. Although the QED is not yet available in the USA it is now available in South East Asia. Interest is being shown from Europe to Africa. Howard, the inventor and developer of this hand built detector is continually coming up with advancements, and I have to say that being involved with the testing of these developments is reminiscent of the early Minelab times when I tested for them. I find it exciting.

Just like the early Minelab days, this is a business in its infancy, and I can see that if barriers and hurdles can be overcome, this detector could have a big impact in the USA. An opportunity for a smart American entrepreneur  like you Steve?

• Like 3

I queried them about sending one to NZ and they are fine with that, but you're saying its in early development, does that mean if I got one it would be outdated quickly and I'd have to buy a new one or are the updates software updates I could install onto mine? 

A

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

I queried them about sending one to NZ and they are fine with that, but you're saying its in early development, does that mean if I got one it would be outdated quickly and I'd have to buy a new one or are the updates software updates I could install onto mine? 

At the moment units have to be sent back to victoria for updates, i think they should adress this with adding a usb for firmware updates so the software can be updateable at home and only go back for harware updates. There is some good info here as well from some other aussie users, lots to read but will give you an idea of the + & - of the QED. 

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=21000

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23399

Im looking forward to seeing how this matures and believe that competition in the gb PI market will only be a good thing for us all. 

• Like 1

Well I'm glad at least somebody is putting in some effort to take on Minelab, I just wish all the other manufacturers would get their act together too.  I hope for good things coming from Europe seeing the American manufacturers don't seem to be doing anything that would be of concern to Minelab. I wish these QED folks all the best.

It's not because I don't like Minelab or anything like that, but they just need some competition.  They could have ten major new features and will trickle them out one at a time every 5 or so years in a new model because they don't need to do them at at once to stay ahead and really that's good business practice for them at the moment.

Having some decent competition would also encourage lower prices.  Their high end detectors are currently extremely overpriced.

For me I think it's best I wait some time before even considering a QED, not quite ready yet and I don't fancy sending it back to Victoria regularly to get updates.  USB for updating seems a must on an "in development" unit.  Back to my hunt for a GPX 4500 then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

Back to my hunt for a GPX 4500 then.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25517

Used one here. Mentions about posting in Australia. Doesn't say he won't post internationally.  Would still have a years worth of warranty I think. 

I have never even seen a GPX but I've seen Reg's QED. Very light and from what I read it is fairly competitive against the GPXs.  If you are sending it back to Oz for updates it is only the control unit so not expensive to post. 

The low price point for a brand new QED almost had me convinced to sell the Z and have 6k left over. But knowing that money would then just be spent on carpet for our house I quickly slapped myself :biggrin:

Each to their own but if I was just entering the PI market I'd seriously look at the QED. 

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By phrunt
      I've been wanting to take the QED to the beach for a while now, it has a Mode 11 beach mode which is very deep, its essentially just a mode that has ground balance disabled at 7.5uS pulse delay.
      The beach I went to was only just over an hour and a half from home.  I live about as far from a beach possible in NZ.  I also wanted to try out my new Fisher F-Pulse pinpointer as it's meant to handle salt water beaches, my Garrett Carrot AT doesn't, last time I tried to use it on the beach the wet sand was setting it off like mad and it would not balance to the wet sand.
      The good news is the F-pulse worked fine, handled the wet sand well.
      I took a photo of my QED all geared up ready to detect.

The weather was shocking, About 3 degrees with snow on the forecast for later tonight, strong wind and showers was what I was dealing with.  I was going to be near the beach which is why I took my detector, the purpose of the trip wasn't to go detecting, the detecting was just a bonus.  I decided I'd put the X-Coils 15" spiral coil on it as it's my biggest GPX coil, it's also very sensitive and deep so seemed a good fit.  This beach is just huge and people spread out all along it as you're allowed to drive your cars on it, so there is no "good busy spot" like on normal beaches. 
      On the dry sand Mode 11 (Disabled Ground Balance) worked well, it was perfect actually and I was digging deep bottle caps.  I'm more of a discrimination type person so was getting pretty annoyed digging junk.  I was however surprised how deep I was digging these bottle caps.  It felt like I was regularly digging junk at 12".  I got sick of that real quick so I jumped back in my car and drove down closer to the water, I was using my car as a bit of a wind break the weather was that bad.
      As I was closer to the water I was no longer able to use Mode 11, the no GB mode, it's my first time using the QED where I've had a response from the ground raising and lowering my coil.  I'm not used to bad ground 🙂  The beach has a fair bit of black sand, not terrible like some of NZ's beaches that are virtually pure black sand.
      I ended up having to go to Mode 5 with a gain of 6, settings I've never used before, I always run things flat out but I didn't like the ground response I was getting, If I kept the coil level to the ground the No GB mode worked OK, although I wasn't sure if that would mean depth would be affected so I wanted to be balanced,  I was able to ground balance now after a bit of fiddling around with manual ground balance.  I'm not good at dealing with bad ground, it's something I'm not used to at all.
      My first target as I got down near the water was an old NZ 2 cent coin, then a rusty old beer bottle cap and a few pull tabs and an old rusty weird looking bit of scrap metal and a few more bottle caps and then....... to my surprise a coin I've only found two of in my entire time detecting, a NZ silver florin!!!! from 1933 too, the first year NZ made a Florin and a harder to get date.  I went to take a photo and my damn phone was flat!  It was deep too, I tilted my coil sideways in the big hole I dug with my scoop and it was almost the depth of my coil, and the coil is a 15" coil.  I took these photos of it when I got home.

It's not all nice and shiny silver like the coins I find in the grass, I will try clean it up a bit somehow.  My silvers from the sports fields always come up looking new.
      I decided to leave after that, the weather was getting to me and the wind was freezing.  I had achieved what I wanted to do, test the QED out on the beach.  It worked well enough, certainly deep and good ground coverage with such a big coil, I'd rather use a detector with discrimination and Target ID's for beach hunts though.
    • By phrunt
      It's been announced the QED is now going to have a dealer in New Zealand, the first step of the QED becoming a real International detector.    The good bit for me is it's a local dealer so that's nice and handy.   I hope the dealer will be able to do the software updates to make that easier.  That would be the key to opening up worldwide dealers having them capable of doing updates I think.  The updates are free but I'd rather pay the dealer a bit of coin for their time to update mine than send it back to Australia.
      Here is their information for the Kiwi's

• By Dave63
      Been a lot of chat about x coil for ML. I would like to see or read a good comparison on the X coil vs the rest on a QED. I am going on a trip to Western Australia in June, so I need a larger mid range coil. I have received advice that the 14" Coiltek is the coil  of choice. All the talk is about x coil, but there hasn't been any real comparison posted. I was thinking 15"x10" x coil could be a contender, but lack of comparison or direct info makes it hard to make a choice.
      Correct me if I am wrong
      8" Sadie = Small targets at shallow depth Low ground coverage
      11" Detech Ultra = Small targets a little more depth bit better ground coverage
      14" Coiltek = More depth start to loose smaller targets better ground coverage
      15" x 10" = ??

• By phrunt
      Today I had to drop my wife and daughter at the airport in Queenstown near JW's house, they're off to Australia for a week to see family.  It's too hot for me this time of year over there so I decided I'd stay home.  JW had the day off work today due to the weather so we decided we'd go for a detect, it's been wild weather lately.. so much for summer, fresh snow on all the mountains this morning and during the day the snow kept coming down.  By the end of the day the mountains had a good coating.  My wife's flight ended up being delayed over six hours due to the weather so they had a boring time at the airport waiting while JW and I were out detecting.

The snow was building throughout the day.  This was not long after we arrived, much more by the time we left.
      This area is known as my nemesis, I've only ever found gold here twice, once was with my Gold Bug Pro when I first started prospecting and another time was when I first got my 12x6" X-Coil also using the QED, both tiny bits of gold.  I've struggled to use my GPX at this location as it's right next to power lines and the area is riddled with hot rocks, really annoying hot rocks, the QED handles the power lines fine.  The hot rocks combined with millions of shot gun pellets make this area a nightmare for VLF's too.  I consider it the hardest place for me to find gold out of my known prospecting areas.  It does however have gold, and the gold is often very small stuff, it's a real challenge for me here.
      I wanted to try the new 15x10" GPX X-Coil this time as last time with the 12x6" X-Coil I spent a lot of time digging shotgun pellets, I was hoping the bigger coil may just be big enough to ignore the pellets but still be sensitive enough to find some of the tiny gold.
      The hot rocks aren't all big either, a lot of them are tiny

This is from dragging my pick magnet across the ground for a few seconds.
      The area is quite the challenge to swing a coil too, very bushy and rocky.

The growth of the plant life has gotten a lot worse since I was last here a month or so ago

The rocky areas are often old tailings piles, a majority of them aren't worth detecting though as they're just rocks, no soils involved.  This one above wasn't too bad but had no gold unfortunately.

There was plenty of the hot rocks in this area giving me grief.  I couldn't run at this location in Mode 11 (No ground balance) as it made the hot rocks so much worse, nutting off all over the place so I stuck with Mode 1, the most sensitive of the ground balanced modes and it mostly handled the tiny hot rocks fine but the bigger ones still set it off.  You can't just kick them away unfortunately as a lot of them are buried.
      I did managed to find one bit of gold, at first I dug a hot rock but after removing it the signal continued, there was actually two signals after I removed the hot rock however whatever the second signal was it dropped down further into the rock pile to be lost forever.

I'm up quite high on a cliff edge here, you'll see the flooded river below, it's usually a really nice blue water but during flood it goes brown.  You'll see the area I dug out to get my little nugget, I have no idea of the depth of it as I may have initially been tricked by the hot rock.

It's a tiny little thing, It had a nice target signal though.  I didn't expect at the time for it to be gold as I thought the signal was too good, I was expecting another hot rock.

0.072 of a gram.
      The afternoon was getting pretty wet, we were at it rain, hail and shine, the weather kept changing.  At one point the hail hurt, got me right in the eyeball!

I just put a plastic bag over the QED to keep it dry, same with the speaker and rear control box.  Someone needs to make waterproof covers for it 🙂
      That was it for me, I was too wet, I went to see how JW was doing, he of course did better than me with his GPZ / 10" X-Coil combination, I truly believe that combination should be illegal, it makes it unfair on the rest of us   I'm sure he'll let you folks know how he did, one of his bits gave me a shock.
      There has been a bit of talk with people asking if the X-coils are bump sensitive, seeing my gain and sensitivity settings are on maximum I figure if anyone is going to get bump sensitivity it's going to be me and I get absolutely none so I recorded a video showing it, the video also shows me testing the response on my little nugget after I found it.
      I really like the 15x10" X-Coil, it's such a sensitive coil with good ground coverage.

• By phrunt
      It's been announced the QED dealers are having a Christmas Special for any QED purchased in December,  It's a pretty damn good deal with two coils included.
      QED XMAS SPECIAL
      The QED Dealers are pleased to announce a fantastic XMAS special that is only available during December 2019. For anybody wishing to purchase a QED during December, then you can choose a package with a Nugget Finder 17” x 13” (closed) EVO and get a free Nugget Finder 8” x 6” Sadie.   December Package Prices with the above coils   Whites “S” bend handle: $2100 AUD Whites Tower handle : $2150 AUD Detech handle: $2150 AUD (+ postage if applicable)   Of course the existing packages are still available at the standard prices.   http://www.qedmetaldetectors.com.au/dealers
    • By Dave63
      Hello All

My First major outing with the QED. I intend to write a review here after ever major outing with the QED, until I understand the detector. This also posted in AEGPF. This is my first PI detector. Price, Capabilities and Aussie made were the driving factors to buying this machine.

I went to Warwick GPA for two days. Two purposes for the trip one to recon as much of the all GPAs as possible and two to test my new QED. Recon was to look for potential Dry wash locations. That a different story.
      I found all the trash left in the GPA. Bullets, horse shoes, rusting tin, slug gun pellets. Nothing very deep though, all at only a few centimeters. This concerned me so I buried a five cent piece at 20cm on its edge to make it as small a target as possible. Picked this up no problems at all. Full repeatable target. So I am hoping I just didnt walk over any deep targets

I took an XP ORX and my QED

QED got a good 18hrs of use over the two days and used my ORX on some of the same ground: I found it interesting on how the VLF reacted compared to the QED. ( Not Direct comparison test)

My QED setup is as follows:
      QED PLII with Detech Shaft
      11" Detech Ultra sensing
      Quest WIFI to a set of (Apple ipod earplugs ) I am going to buy a good set
      Warwick I found has a great difference in minerals across the area. So I had to make sure I basically reset the QED every time I changed location

Quest WIFI - Worked very well. Battery lasts for 24hrs, just as well as I forgot to turn it off most of the time. Had receiver in my top pocket so my earplugs never got in my way. Forgot I still had them in a couple of times Overall very happy with this audio setup

Detech shaft - Excellent

11" Detech Ultra sensing coil - Being my first coil other than HF on ORX - I a had to get use to it sounding hollow while passing it over the ground. Being hollow cuts down on weight I suppose which is good.

I had to Factory Reset at every new spot I detected, as trying to adjust from the previous location was to hard. So in the end I just factory reset when I turned in on at a new location and went through the setup process. Working through the settings starting at 2, then 1,3,4,5

I talk about each setting in the order I used in my setup process

THS-B - Setup range was 49 to 59 so around 54 was mid point. I used it at mid the entire time so I would received an even tone for Small and Large targets

MGB - Setting ranged from 170 to 210. I very quickly got use to checking MGB on the Fly. I did find myself trying to balance in the wrong direction quite a a lot, this just meant spending time cycling back the other way to get correct MGB ( Silence in the Ear Plugs). MGB is achieved on the down motion of the coil, but I was receiving a tone on the up motion as well. Once I got use to this I adjusted the MGB until neither tone could be heard. Once MGB was achieved the detector was silent.

THS-A - This setting initially confused me a bit, as to me it I felt it wasn't really doing anything, after watch the training video over and over and reading some more I understood its relationship to THS-B. This how I used it - (This may be totally wrong so I will need some feedback here). Once I achieved ground balance I would adjust THS-A up until I could just here a tone being produced I would then turn it down until the tone was only just audible. I took this as being the sweet spot for THS-A. Around 50 all over the GPA

Gain - Adjusting Gain up above 2 produced an unstable response from the QED so 2 was the max setting for most of the trip. Adjusting Gain up also effected the tone produced by THS-A. I put the Gain up and went back to THS-A to try and adjust the tone out. This had no effect. So reset THS-A and lowered Gain to make detector stable

Mode - This setting is coil and ground specific to achieve a balance. I found that 3-4 was good for all areas I detected. Anything higher or lower made the detector unstable

After going through this setup( Only took a minute or two). QED was basically silent except for the very low tone that I could only just here from THS-A. While swinging I kept the coil in contact with the ground. I did not receive any coil to ground contact noise. At times I had to check that the detector was still on by passing it near my boot to get a target response ( steel in boots) The silence surprised me, but was excellent as I didn't have to have continual noise in my ears detecting

In patches this happened. I would get single tones from the detector both high or low, swing back past the spot of the tone, nothing. If I started to get these tones, I sometimes stopped moving the detector and listen, random tones still produced (EMI ground mineral) ? I also came across patches that produced multiple random tones. For example a patch 1m square where the detector was silent all around it, but just produced random tones all over the 1m Square. Nothing repeatable in one spot. I dug this out of curiosity, after removing a couple of cm all tone was gone and no target could be found or single disappeared. So eventually I just ignored this type of signal response putting it down to soil type\minerals. I also had tones that produced like a wobbly type noise that was over one spot that sometimes came and went. When dug target disappeared or I found I just spread the target noise over a wider area.

When target was found the tone was easy to recognize and repeatable over the one spot

Please feel free to give me feedback on my setup. I dont know if I am reducing the small target detection or loosing depth

This was my first experience with the QED. Overall I am very happy and excited with my purchase. All I need to do is walk over some yellow and find it. I think my next move is to setup a test patch somewhere. Lead sinkers from sub gram and up