After Market Bluetooth Headphones Thread

Mark T

6 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Can you confirm that the BT symbol with the "+" symbol appears on the Equinox control display when you use these headphones?  That confirms that they are indeed APTX LL and not just APTX or APTX HD.  Thanks.  Would eventually like to compile a consolidated list of wireless APTX LL supporting earbuds because the posted earbud specs at web retailers usually do not provide enough detail or are ambiguous to the type of APTX codec that is supported.

No + symbol with the blackweb neck phones. Just regular aptx.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CliveHamy said:

Hi Chase. Yes the Soundpeats Q12's are real APTX Low-Latency, the + symbol appears on the Nox. I spent a lot of time in Airports and on the web looking for APTX Low-Latency earbuds at a reasonable price, there is the danger that APTX is described by Marketing blurb as low latency when it is not "APTX Low Latency" - as you know, and sometimes like the Soundpeat Q12's the box just says APTX and not APTX Low Latency which it is, so its a risk relying on descriptions. Hopefully people will continue to post in on this thread and we will end up with a list to help people.

Sennheiser have a couple of true Low Latency models but I did not fancy paying £150+ or so. In one case you need the version BT 6.0, not the newer 7.00 version. which is not true Low latency

Re Low latency speed, the key issue is that true APTX Low Latency comes from the specific Qualcomm chip being used. It is that chip that defines the latency speed. So all earbuds using that chip should have the same low latency speed. (unless additional buffering is used)

Finally on comparative sound quality. My tip is to download a free hearing test app on to your Phone and use it to do comparative tests on different headsets/earbuds. That way you can check out your own hearing, and compare the relative responses across a frequency range. Crude but effective. Also somewhere I have posted that there are some earbuds that come with their own hearing test app. You do the test, and it uploads the settings compensating for hearing losses at different frequencies into the earbuds, so great for those heard of hearing.

Clive,

Thanks, but I think you might have misdirected your post to me for some reason.  I did not inquire about the Soundpeats at all as I already own a pair and am fully aware they are APTX-LL.  I was asking 67GTA about the Blackweb wireless buds he obtained from Walmart.  I too completely understand the difference between APTX and APTX-LL which is why I always inquire specifically about the Equinox display when people just say the phones they APTX compliant because that is the only way to be sure.  I have even purchased phones that tout APTX LL support in web marketing materials only to find that they do not.  Also, my understanding is that simply having the Qualcomm chip is insufficient to guarantee that the APTX LL is enabled as the the LL feature needs to be enabled by the soundbud firmware.  I have purchased phones that have the qualcomm chip on board but only APTX was enabled and they required a request of a separate "beta" firmware update (that was not released publically for some reason) to enable APTX LL.  Agree it is totally confusing to the consumer who cares about such details which is why I am trying to compile compatibility from actual users who have paired the headsets with their Equinox that actually shows the BT symbol and plus sign.  Thanks for the reply.

5 minutes ago, 67GTA said:

No + symbol with the blackweb neck phones. Just regular aptx.

Thanks.  Good to know.  I have found that APTX while significantly less lag than SBC or AAC is still noticeable to me vs. APTX LL and throws me off.  There is no one size fits all answer either.  I know folks like yourself who find just APTX buds work fine for them and I have found folks who complain about the lag on APTX LL.  All I know is that APTX LL works for me but anything less (APTX or worse) doesn't.  Appreciate you posting that info. 

I replied to your post because you expressed a desire to compile a list of true APTX LL. headphones/earbuds. 

It was convenient to add the rest of the info. so people can see useful information.

I agree that it depends on whether the APTX LL is enabled or not in the headset/earbud firmware, but my point was that if it has been enabled then the low latency performance would be as per the spec. and therefore what we desire. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CliveHamy said:

Hi Goldrat, I bought mine via Amazon-UK, seemed to be from the SoundPeats distributor in the UK. Cheers Clive

Thanks Clive ,

I'll give that site a shot today .

Cheers

goldrat

45 minutes ago, CliveHamy said:

I replied to your post because you expressed a desire to compile a list of true APTX LL. headphones/earbuds. 

It was convenient to add the rest of the info. so people can see useful information.

Clive,

My sincerest apologies.  That is one of the drawbacks to online posting.  It is hard to know what someone does and doesn't know out of context and their frame of reference.  I directed a specific question at a specific user and stated the reason for why I was asking the question, not expecting a reply from anyone else (unless they happened to also use the same phones).  Also, you replied "Yes..."  which implied you were answering a direct question from me to you not just offering related information in response to my desire to compile a comatibility listing, which also threw me off.  On the other other hand, unless I posted all the headphones I have tested or confirmed as APTX LL and have read all my posts, there is no way you would know that I already have the Soundpeats or know the difference between APTX vs. APTX LL and the whole APTX headphone spec circus.  Regardless, even though I already own the Q12's, if I didn't, I would have made a mental note based on your previous reply to goldrat confirming APTX LL compatibility.

I do think the info you have posted is very useful to the forum members which is why I posted my appreciation for your reply and thanked you.

BTW - speaking of Soundpeats, I have subsequently looked into the Soundpeats Engine model earbuds that are listed on US Amazon (based on your discussion with goldrat above) and have found no less than 2 versions (no Q40 designation).  One "older" model - again no model number - that appears to be APTX LL compliant and has CVC mic cancelling, a "updated" model that has the QC 3005 chip and CVC 6.0 which is more expensive but does not mention APTX compatibility.  You appear very knowledgeable on the the Qualcomm chips, do you have any information on whether the 3005 supports APTX (before I delve into Googleland)?  Thanks.

42 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

the QC 3005 chip and CVC 6.0 which is more expensive but does not mention APTX compatibility.  You appear very knowledgeable on the the Qualcomm chips, do you have any information on whether the 3005 supports APTX (before I delve into Googleland)?  Thanks.

Found the answer to my question above.  The QCC 3005 chip found in the latest model Soundpeats Engine headphones only supports APTX  "Classic" which implies that neither APTX LL nor APTX HD are supported.

Reference here:  https://datasheets.globalspec.com/ds/3510/Qualcomm/73F98650-C624-4252-9AAA-3CED5DB51059

Good to know.  Newer is not necessarily better.

The Amazon US  link to the "older" Soundpeats Engine earbuds that appear to support APTX LL is here:  https://www.amazon.com/SoundPEATS-Headphone-Earphones-Sweatproof-Smartphones/dp/B07KPWCTDR/ref=pd_ybh_a_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WGB8HP918NT0RTRZAHGK

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 10:32 PM, Chase Goldman said:

Found the answer to my question above.  The QCC 3005 chip found in the latest model Soundpeats Engine headphones only supports APTX  "Classic" which implies that neither APTX LL nor APTX HD are supported.

Reference here:  https://datasheets.globalspec.com/ds/3510/Qualcomm/73F98650-C624-4252-9AAA-3CED5DB51059

Good to know.  Newer is not necessarily better.

The Amazon US  link to the "older" Soundpeats Engine earbuds that appear to support APTX LL is here:  https://www.amazon.com/SoundPEATS-Headphone-Earphones-Sweatproof-Smartphones/dp/B07KPWCTDR/ref=pd_ybh_a_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WGB8HP918NT0RTRZAHGK

Hi Chase

No worries, about the earlier post context confusions. On APTX LL these manufacturers don't make it easy for us do they! My advice to folk is to buy a copy that's been reported on this thread as being proven APTX LL before the supply dries up. Worst case they could be kept as cheap (but good quality) backups.

Cheers Clive

• Like 1

I can confirm that the SoundPEATS  “upgraded Q12 plus” do indeed connect with LL - I get the + on my NOX600. They are quite adequate in volume for me, in fact I have had to turn down the volume. These are the ones I ordered and received last week:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KLWS43V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Happy hunting,

Dave

• Like 1

These Soudpeats Engine buds also work.  The newer (and more expensive) model of the Soundpeats Engine does not appear to support APTX LL so avoid it.  The drivers of the Engine appear to have superior quality to the Q12's and that is backed up by a more robust audio (I own a pair of Q12's also) and the small neck band puts less stress on the buds than the hanging cord which keeps them more securely in your ear.  Bonus, they cost less than the Q12's.  HTH

https://www.amazon.com/SoundPEATS-Headphone-Earphones-Sweatproof-Smartphones/dp/B07KPWCTDR/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmrnull_1_sspa?keywords=soundpeats+engine&qid=1551181581&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull-spons&psc=1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1