phrunt

Is The New Gpx4500 Better Than An Old One

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I ended up buying the 2nd hand one, It's made in Australia and I liked that about it.  The price ended up being too good to say no and Minelab verified its a genuine product.  It's barely been used, had a 1 month holiday in its entire life where it got some action

Nice one !

you will have the deep bigger bits and the tiny shallow stuff covered now,

and having a mentor to help with learning a new machine will certainly put you on the fast track to success 

I'm looking forward to following some more adventures.

• Thanks 1

The stock coils are actually quite good. If you do buy after market...  I would strongly recommend the NF Evo's.

Dean

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since your gold there tends to run small I would definitely get the NF 8x6. Exceptional coil for creek hunting, and hot on the small nuggets! When I had the gpx, I used to run mine in creeks all summer long here in California.  I did get some moisture in them eventually, but I'm hard on coils and all coils eventually fail.  Some extra silicon around the cable fitting,  to minimize water entry, may be a good idea.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WesD said:

Since your gold there tends to run small I would definitely get the NF 8x6. Exceptional coil for creek hunting, and hot on the small nuggets! When I had the gpx, I used to run mine in creeks all summer long here in California.  I did get some moisture in them eventually, but I'm hard on coils and all coils eventually fail.  Some extra silicon around the cable fitting,  to minimize water entry, may be a good idea.

Thanks, I do a bit of creek detecting so that's a good tip!  It seems Nugget Finder might be the most popular aftermarket coils.

On 5/1/2018 at 12:51 PM, phrunt said:

The Evo looks good to me, I'm a bit disappointed to see the Sadie isn't waterproof, even if it doesn't touch water I'd still rather a waterproof coil for the added security.  But knowing me, it's likely to go in water.  Thanks for all of the advice.

HI Phrunt, 

i was surprised that you mentioned the Sadie as not being waterproof so i made an enquiry with nuggetfinder directly, Rohan replied with the below.

"The Sadie 8”x6” is water resistant to around 500mm.  If the coil is going to be under water regularly I suggest you smear some extra silicon (Neutral Cure) around the point where the cable enters the coil.

Remember to regularly clean out any Water & Dirt from between the Skid Plate and the base of the coil, as this can make the coil erratic."

good to know as i plan on getting a 4500 eventually as well and the Sadie will definitely make up part of my coil selection for it. 

• Like 1

That alone is a reason I wouldn't buy one, I wonder why they don't make it waterproof.  

i wonder if the reason they don't use the term waterproof is because it hasn't undergone testing to a recognised standard (IPX etc), because from his response it indicates that if in shallow ares it would be ok to use, i have emailed them back to query the terminology and how that would impact the warranty etc. will let you know what they say.

• Thanks 1

the response from NF is as below,

"The Evolution Range have greatly improved Water Proofing where the cable enters the coil, therefore we are confident to guarantee they will not fail to a tested 500mm.  The Advantage coils are not guaranteed to be Waterproof however they have also been tested to a similar depth without any issues.  If you were to add a little silicon where the cable enters the coil i am very confident there would be no issues.  Realistically if you had a problem within the Warranty Period and the coil had no physical damage such as cracks in the plastic, I would replace it for you. "

he also let me know they have had the 12" advantage 8ft under water searching for 3 hours and pulled it apart and found no moisture inside the coil (same construction as the sadie).

with that response i would be confident to buy one, 

i will also mention they have been very quick to respond to my queries, it is nice when you don't have to wait days for a response to an online/email inquiry.

• Like 2

yes, that brings my confidence back too, thanks