phrunt

Is The New Gpx4500 Better Than An Old One

I have stumbled across an opportunity to buy an old GPX4500, it's one that was made in Australia.

There seems to be conflicting opinions of if the new or old one is better, I have read the new one has a gpx 5000 guts in it with things disabled so it runs smoother and ground balances better in hot ground but then others saying they would rather chop off their arm with a toothpick than give up their old GPX4500 for a new one as the old one punches deeper on bigger gold and runs hotter.

It seems most people think the new one is better, would I be right in thinking this? 

I've decided I'll get one either way, be it new or this older one.

Thanks

Most feedback i have seen from people is that the newer 4500 seem to run smoother however depending on where you look there are some who say the opposite, hard to know what to believe. Whether it is just the assumption because it is a newer machine it must run better than the old one or on the flip side people with an older model who refuse to accept that a newer release could be better.

A fairly safe assumption would be that the newer 4500's would likely have fixes/adjustments made to it from many years of repairs and warranty claims  - it has been around for a long time and I'm sure that minelab would tweak certain things in the newer release to minimize the number of warranty claims/repairs, also updating firmware etc. whether these make enough of a difference to be noticeable in is another question, 

rather than worrying about a potential difference in performance i would be more focusing on the below

1. how important is warranty to you?

2. How old is the "old gpx4500"? do you know how it has been treated, age and electronics particularly in prospecting conditions can cause havoc with components as they get older.?

3.does the old 4500 come with any extra accessories coils etc that add value?

If a well looked after machine came up for sale with a couple of "new" coils (evo's or elites) for around AUD$3K i would certainly be considering it as each of the new age coils cost between AUD$400-$600 so you would be getting a good value package if it included a couple of coils+ things like harnesses and control box covers all which add up when purchased new.

There have been a few used units for sale recently which where good value coming with a couple of extra coils and some even having a good portion of warranty remaining.

i have also seen some great new deals for $3700 AUD which included a pick, control box cover, the 2 standard 11 " coils and a factory 2nd (marked) NF Evo coil all with full warranty. this deal has finished now but they are out there - current one includes a pro sonic system.

https://cwpsupplies.com.au/collections/gold-detectors/products/gpx4500-christmas-bundle

no affiliation with seller just an example of the deals that you can get. 

Call around to a few dealers and see what sort of a package they can put together - they don't always advertise all the options online. Tell them what other coils you would be interested in you never know they may have some factory refurb/floor stock/marked etc that they can chuck in to the package to get your sale.

Good Luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice, warranty is not overly important to me, the parts that wear out like switches and buttons and so on I could replace myself, also if there is capacitors leaking or anything I too would just fix it myself, if there was anything I couldn't fix I've spoken to Minelab who said they would repair anything no problems for me.  It has no extra coils or anything other than the original gear and the battery is likely to be shot but I will repack that myself rather than buying a new battery.  I believe I'll have to get a smaller coil than stock as we have small gold around here.  Kiwijw is sure to advise me the best coil to buy for our location so I'll hit him up for advice on that once I've got my detector.

The main thing was the difference in performance, Minelab have said I can send it in for a "service" which I assume means updating the firmware.  I like the fact it's made in Australia.

• Like 1

Not sure if this helps but a Gold Gem and Treasure magazine from 12 months ago had an article by Peter Woodland about the difference in the internals of the 4500. He mentioned that when doing a mod to a newer 4500 it didn't seem to punch as deep compared to the older 4500. So he went about trying to find out why. I cant remember the name if the parts but he said he scratched off the white paint and found (serial numbers or some other identification) that a couple of components had a lesser capacity or strength (not sure how to explain it  - sorry) than the ones used in the older 4500. He said they were also the same components used in the 5000. He said the particular parts used were to make the newer 4500 and 5000 more stable but it was at a trade-off for a little depth compared to the old 4500. 

• Like 4

from what you have mentioned above, you seem to be pretty familiar and handy with electronics, I certainly am not experienced in those type of repairs which is why the warranty and the age of the machine would be a concern for me. if those are not an issue for you then a 2nd hand machine at the right price is a great option especially if it is significantly cheaper than a new one.

in regards to coils Kiwijw will know hat works for your ground types & locations. 

on the smaller new gen coils the NF Evo 14 x 9 is a very popular coil over here for its size and sharp signal responses, there is also the ubiquitous NF Sadie coil the 8 x 6 which is well loved and there is the new coiltek elite 9" which may prove to be very hot on the tiny stuff at depth. there are also the detech coils which are gaining in popularity but i don't think there is much online about these and comparisons between the NF & Coilteks. 

Nenad @ Phasetech has some really good coil videos with lots of info on his channel,

And Aussie Gold prospector with the 8 x 6 Sadie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Evo looks good to me, I'm a bit disappointed to see the Sadie isn't waterproof, even if it doesn't touch water I'd still rather a waterproof coil for the added security.  But knowing me, it's likely to go in water.  Thanks for all of the advice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, phrunt said:

The Evo looks good to me, I'm a bit disappointed to see the Sadie isn't waterproof, even if it doesn't touch water I'd still rather a waterproof coil for the added security.  But knowing me, it's likely to go in water.  Thanks for all of the advice.

Thanks Phrunt, i didnt realise the sadie was not waterproof like the EVOs are, looks like detech do a range of smaller waterproof coils for the GPX as well, an 11" x 6" elliptical and a 6' little brother, i wonder if anyone on here has used them? i wonder how they compare to the sadie for sensitivity, depth and stability.

• Like 1

I've got the detech 6". Found a few bits with it but most of the time forget I've got it. As a matter of fact, I was planning on using it next week if I manage to get away detecting. I have a couple of spots I want to test to see if there's tiny gold present so was planning on using the 6". I previously used it in creeks and rivers and its great to use because its lite and waterproof but I always seem to have a particular rock that signals a response and I lost patience so didn't pursue the river detecting.

Heres a video of the 6" Detech 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJcnpm6EmVk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All detectors are made of electronic components that have allowable variances. Usually the pluses and minuses average out, but sometimes you get a machine that is a little hotter than the norm, and some a little weaker. A major variance can occur with coils especially, and many a good detector out there is hobbled by a coil that is not all it should be. I believe these variances account for most of the stories of older but hotter machines.

The reality is almost all detectors undergo some tweaks over time that the manufacturers are careful to keep quiet about. Firmware glitches get fixed and newer components substituted for old. This happens enough that I will always personally get the newest version of any detector I am interested in. If I was looking at an older 4500 and a newer one, I am hands down getting the newer one. It’s going to almost always be the safer bet. There are rare exceptions to this, but that’s my advice in general.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

All detectors are made of electronic components that have allowable variances. Usually the pluses and minuses average out, but sometimes you get a machine that is a little hotter than the norm, and some a little weaker. A major variance can occur with coils especially, and many a good detector out there is hobbled by a coil that is not all it should be. I believe these variances account for most of the stories of older but hotter machines.

The reality is almost all detectors undergo some tweaks over time that the manufacturers are careful to keep quiet about. Firmware glitches get fixed and newer components substituted for old. This happens enough that I will always personally get the newest version of any detector I am interested in. If I was looking at an older 4500 and a newer one, I am hands down getting the newer one. It’s going to almost always be the safer bet. There are rare exceptions to this, but that’s my advice in general.

Thanks Steve, I ended up buying the 2nd hand one, It's made in Australia and I liked that about it.  The price ended up being too good to say no and Minelab verified its a genuine product.  It's barely been used, had a 1 month holiday in its entire life where it got some action.

I expect the battery to be a bit crappy but I see they're just packed with 18650's so I'll just repack it myself. 

Now I need myself a few coils as it just came with the 2 stock coils, The mono will be on it until I can get my hands on a Coiltek.

Kiwijw has kindly said he'll give me instruction on how to use it, maybe this weekend if I'm lucky and it arrives on time.

Simon

• Like 3