Makro Racer First Impression / Gold Racer Preview

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_mh4BAbk4JrDzMMQN7HGEQ

Good source and another review... but with one little minus... I'm little disappointed, because, today they edit review... and remove some important section about problems with wireless headphones sound quality and signal delay. New version of video is shorter without this opinion. Someone wipeout this...

Chris, I am with you on the Racer Gold set at 30khz, I would like a modern replacement for my GB2, with more options to use, screen iron id, vdi numbers, lighweight, auto gb, etc. So far no one has approached the GB2 for tiny gold in hot ground, but maybe the Racer Gold will do the trick. I got buddies that work hardrock for vein gold, they have tried every new vlf gold detector that comes along for tiny gold, nothing works for them but the GB2 so far chasing tiny vein gold looking for pockets.

Steve, super nice review of the Makro Racer, nice pics.

How about something like current Racer at 14 kHz push a button and now your have 28 kHz? Coils can usually be made to work well at harmonic multiples.

One thing usually is if the frequency gets too high you lose resolution at the high end of the VDI scale but gain on the low end. Not so good for coin detecting per se but good for separating low conductors.

I like that idea also, that way you will retain ability to do some depth on bigger gold as well at 14khz yet be able with 28khz to hit the tiny 1/2 grain to 3 grain stuff i like to chase.

• 1 month later...

The Racer is a very high gain detector susceptible to overload signals. From Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links

"The electronic gain of the RACER consists of 3 levels to eliminate the internal electromagnetic noise and to adjust the saturation level. The electronic gain change points correspond to levels   39 and 69 on the Gain setting. In case of saturation (overload), you may raise your search coil a bit or adjust the Gain to the lower electronic gain level. For example, in the All Metal and Two Tone modes, if the Gain is set to 70 or above and if saturation occurs, adjusting the Gain to 69 or 39 will minimize or eliminate the saturation. Similarly, if you  experience saturation in the Three Tone mode, adjusting the Gain to 39  will be sufficient. Reducing the gain will not cause a dramatic decrease in depth."

The Makro Racer at $649 with 11" x 7" DD coil gives the Fisher Gold Bug Pro at $649 with 5" round DD coil a distinct run for the money. The Racer is actually being compared favorably to the more expensive Fisher F19 at $799. A good independent report at http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,79742

No word at all on the Gold Racer that I have heard.

Hi All,

I was about to squeeze the trigger on the Fors Gold as a multi purpose machine ( I only have prospecting machines and would like to do a little coin shooting/trashy areas detecting). Now the Gold Racer is coming and was wondering from those of you who have the Fors Gold...is it worth waiting for the Gold Racer? Does the Fors Gold Do O.K. in Arizona's hot ground? Better than a Gold Bug 2? I know that we don't know much about the Gold Racer in terms of frequency and all but is the Racer ergonomically (and such) better than the Fors Gold? Just having the usual dilemma...to buy or not to buy now or wait? Thanks!

Dean 

Well, I have the Gold Bug 2 and it is really in a separate category - it is not a multiuse detector. Incredibly hot on tiny gold, but lacking depth on larger nuggets in mineralized ground. But for what it does nothing replaces the Gold Bug 2.

I also have a Racer and a FORS Gold and I can't for the life of me say one is better than the other. They are just different. People used to swinging a Minelab might just like the FORS more. The Racer is a more traditional setup. Because of the way they balance I like the Racer when running the small coil and FORS when running the big 17" coil.

I am hoping the Gold Racer will be somewhat of a tie breaker, but the problem really is we do not know yet what it will do. You would hate to buy one of the others, then find out the Gold Racer was what you really wanted.

I do know this. Last time out with the GPZ I got tired of digging junk at one point and wished I had a VLF along. Next outing the Racer goes just because it is such a great "grab and go" sort of machine. The FORS not so much.