My E-800 Went Haywire Again

I was out detecting this morning and had a great 2 hours hunt. I found $7.10 in exactly 2 hours. On my 2nd to last target while I was digging the detector started sounding off like it was in pinpoint mode so I moved it thinking there maybe was a target under the coil. I found my quarter and picked the detector and it was bouncing all over the place and squealing off and on then I hit another 30 signal and retrieved it and noticed the detector needed charging so I quit. I come back home and charged it up and it does nothing but scream.. I don't know it lighting hit twice in the same place but this is the 2nd time for this to happen. Not sure how I could get two bad controllers. Was doing nothing unusual. I had 13 open and everything from 20 -40 open. Was using 50 tones and everything was great. I was having a great day until that happened. 

Can't imagine what I could be doing wrong.

• Sad 1

Thanks Steve, I already did both of those resets and while I was out in the garage trying them again I think I discovered  the problem. It started screaming again and I think the pinpoint button is stuck because it won't move. I use it but not a lot because I usually do the wiggle method especially if the coin is shallow. 

Do you use any kind of screen protector / controlbox cover?

I agree with Customer Service at Minelab. I've had to call them twice in the last week, and both times they were incredibly diligent in either getting an answer to me, or making arrangements for a product return next week. (My receipt is in the other house for my Pro-Find, and I need it to send it to Minelab)

I know there are a lot of relic hunters out there and they may not used pinpoint at all or rarely because of the size of their finds and even the beach hunters use it less because they just scoop. I am primarily a coin shooter and rarely beach hunt and when I do I never use pinpoint.  Due to trashy parks with tabs and bottles caps often in the same hole or within inches of the target pinpoint really helps.

I have experienced fading in the pinpoint mode and I sometimes suspect that it is as deep target or is picking up stuff nearby since the edge of the coil is so hot. When I do get fade I just click out of pinpoint and move away a few inches and pinpoint again. I experienced fading quite a bit at 1st and maybe I am better at pinpointing now or I pay no attention to it and start over but I only experienced fading once this week that I am aware of. 

I have had the pinpoint fade and also the pinpoint tone "stick"--tone sounds continuously until I leave and reenter pinpoint mode. Neither have been a serious issue for me, knock on wood.

The pinpoint fade reminds me that, outside of pinpoint, I sometimes encounter fade when detecting a target.  That is, I seem to hit on a weak target, but as I swing the coil back and forth, it diminishes in volume, becomes a ghostly echo and fades away.   A bug in the signal processing?

I am using PP all the time, too. Had the thought the screen protector could be to tight and doesn't allow the button to return to its off position.

No the screen protector was actually about ready to fall off so the was no stress on the button