My E-800 Went Haywire Again

16 hours ago, phrunt said:

My issue with pinpoint is that odd low volume thing that corrects itself usually with another activation of pinpoint mode, that doesn't seem like a button hardware problem however and if it is indeed a fault they can likely fix it with a firmware update.

That is normal...think of it as a kinda zeroing in on the target type of thing. It's the same with the CTX 3030. You will get used to it hopefully. I only use pinpoint on faint deeper sounding targets...

strick 

I use my pinpoint almost every time, and it seems to work fine, except once and a while I notice the volume fades out....I think it detunes to something and fades, so I just move the coil away from the target area and re-pinpoint and it works fine.  The volume fade is more like a quirk/bug then anything and not really too annoying IMO.  When the PP works, it works great, spot on X marks the spot IMO.

• Like 1

Sometimes Lith batteries do that...... but ive only noticed that when using a smart charger.   What happens the charge gets to low for the smart charger to recognize the battery so it doesnt come on.   Is the battery showing charged?  Sorry man....... hate having detector issues.

Think I'm having a similar issue. I just got my 800 - have 4 hours on it and was having a lot of fun but just picked up the machine and it sounds like it's a ringing phone constant loud tones even if I hold the detector straight up in the air. VDI numbers are going nuts.

I've tried the following:

1. Full Factory Reset (twice)

2. Tried noise cancelling and ground balance

3. Hosed off the coil (thought maybe a piece of metal was stuck to it)

4. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting the coil

Brand new machine - anyone run across this? No EMF in the area I was testing in, put away my cell phone / etc.

One thing to always try when having issues like this is go to multiple locations, or at least more than one. It is impossible to know how much EMI there is at any location. Just because other detectors did not react does not mean there is no EMI. There are plenty of machines that run quiet as a mouse in bad EMI but which at the same time lose significant performance due to it - "silent EMI masking". Other machines avoid it by running at a frequency that misses whatever EMI there is.

I went to a location yesterday where I could not get the Equinox to shut up until I got down to sensitivity 10 in multifrequency and around 12 if I ran in 20 kHz. Terrible EMI location for some reason.

I am not saying what anyone is experiencing is EMI - just passing this along for people with a new detector using it for the first time at their house or backyard.

• Like 3

I tried cycling through the frequencies - 5khz is immediately noisy -- all other frequencies are clear at first then get the constant chatter. I took off the coil cover as a last resort and found a quite bit of black sand and dirt from this morning. I think that may have played a role? Machine seems to be working better, but still getting chatter in the same areas that were dead silent during testing all afternoon yesterday. Lowering the sensitivity seems to help, just seems odd that I was running factory settings at 20 sensitivity all day yesterday in the same yard without issue, but now need to dial the sensitivity in half for it to work silently.

1 hour ago, nwprospector said:

5khz is immediately noisy -- all other frequencies are clear at first then get the constant chatter.

How much time elapses between the "clear at first" and "then the constant chatter"?  I've had problems with EMI at one of my sites and it takes the Eqx 2 or 3 seconds to change frequencies when I do a manual micro-frequency change.  (Specifically I change frequency in the noise cancel mode and at first it sounds clean but then after a few seconds the chatter is back.)  If that's what you are experiencing then it sounds normal.  I, also, am not saying that what you are experiencing is definitely EMI compared to a faulty unit.  Hope you get it straightened out yourself, but if not the reports of others is that Minelab (USA, anyway) is very responsive to getting these things corrected.

One other thing -- many of us have noticed that manual (EMI) noise alleviation is often the solution when auto noise rejection is tried and fails.  You have 19 channels to step through (and it is a 'local' setting meaning if you change modes you need to reset) but it really only takes about a minute to go through all of them for a single mode.

If you can't solve it by following the advice of the people on the forum contact Minelab right away. They are very responsive and willing to help. I know they have a lot of small issues they are being bombarded with but they take each problem seriously and will send you a UPS link to send it back prepaid

Posting an update - took my detector to a remote beach to test on Sunday and no chatter issues, so looks like my back yard has really bad interference. I was able to solve the issue with the advice in this thread - lowered the sensitivity to 17 and had no issues.

I think the reason i thought it was working previously is i mistook threshold for volume when i unboxed it and was running at a lower setting so didnt notice the noise (rookie mistake).

This video is pretty good at describing the issue - glad i’m not the only one who thought i’d have to return my unit: 

• Like 3

Hi Gigmaster. I really appreciate you baby steppin it on the video. It left me with no questions.

Kelly