My E-800 Went Haywire Again

I thought I was having EMI issues with my 800 as well. I wasn't getting chatter, but when I used pinpoint, occasionally the sound would just stick after I ran it over the target. I could hold the detector up, walk somewhere else, but no matter what I did, the tone would stay solid until I cleared it. Like I said it didn't happen that often, but enough to be irritating. I called Minelab customer service and a nice lady said, "no no no... that is not right send it in". She sent me a prepaid label, I sent it in and it was back within five days. I'm taking it out today to make sure it's fixed... we'll see!

• Like 1

The quick turn around on these defective units shows good planning on ML's part by having the correct parts in place at time of release.  Actually a much better experience that we have seen in the past from the manufacturers.

Hopefully I will not experience any issues with mine, but if I do it is good to know that it will be handled promptly and efficiently.

• 1 year later...
On 5/3/2018 at 1:10 AM, phrunt said:

I hope for Minelab's sake it's not a systemic problem with all Equinox units and their pinpoint buttons, being sealed units they'll be in for some grief having to replace all control heads with a new fixed up model.  Two in a row is extremely odd but there seems to be no other reports of it I've seen so it's likely you're just unlucky.  My issue with pinpoint is that odd low volume thing that corrects itself usually with another activation of pinpoint mode, that doesn't seem like a button hardware problem however and if it is indeed a fault they can likely fix it with a firmware update.

I had this happen several times at the beach today. now I'm questioning whether it's messed upon not.

No, the pinpoint low volume bug is a fault. It should not matter what the coil is over; when you engage pinpoint it should come on at the same volume level every time. The whole time I was in the UK it happened randomly, and I just hit the pinpoint button a second time and the it would work. Or I would just ignore it since I could hear it, just at a very low volume. Other detectors do not do it and neither should the Equinox. I'm surprised it did not get addressed in the latest update. Half the time I don't use pinpoint at all, just eyeball the beeps. In any case for me it is such a low level annoyance I really don't pay any attention to it.

But this thread was about a separate issue, which is why I asked the question.

• Like 3