SDC 2300 Small Gold Sensitivity

Am wanting to purchase a Sdc 2300 all checks out on serial numbers etc and is a good price with many extras.

my concern never using one before I set up three pieces of lead. 0.05g , 1.13g, 2.00g.

i ran the Sdc over the three individual and the two larger pieces good solid signal up to 300mm lift.

it would not pick up the 0.05g? Also ran it over 2.5g nugget yep good signal.

i then ran my old AT Gold over the three same. As per the Sdc the AT went off and up to 300mm difference here is the AT picked up the 0.05g light signal but good solid number at around 50mm lift.

AT also same on nugget.

my question is shouldn’t the s

Sdc have picked up the sub Gram lead?? Isn’t that what it is supposed to grab onto??

Im a bit lost as to what to do now purchase/don’t purchase Can anyone confirm that it should have picked that up, could there be a problem with it.

really want it but was expecting it to leave the AT Gold for dead??

Thanks Guys

Donnie

Here in Oz the SDC has a reputation as a rock solid performer on small gold in mineralized soil . But that doesn’t mean it’s going to trump a good high frequency detector under all circumstances .i think there’s been plenty of opinion on this forum about the ability of vhf detectors to out perform Pi models in mild soils . I have met many owners of of the SDC in Australia and not too many who want to part with them . I tend to find much smaller pieces with the Gold Monster than with the SDC but at a much shallower depth due to our difficult soils . In milder soils the comparison may be a lot closer. 

• Like 1

Donnie, buy a gold pan if you want small gold. It's a lot cheaper.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Welcome to the forum :wink:

Which country are you in Donnie?  Probably makes a bit of difference to what to get. 

And I think your tests were air tests?  Put your 0.05 piece of lead 50mm under mineralized ground, hey presto, it may disappear :ohmy:

The SDCs are great. The Gold Monster is also great for even smaller gold.  But the SDC wins for dealing with mineralized ground. 

And Reg's comment is probably not too far off the mark either  :laugh:

• Like 1

My detecting partner runs a SDC2300 and is deadly with it. He found a .5 GRAIN in moist soil in the patch area. That says alot about that unit. Something I have learned from Mr. H there are holes and some times they don't make sense. If it can find a small half shot piece you are good. Round vs flat vs Swiss cheese style targets also effect the size and depth it can find a target. 

Best advise is ask phase if he has one and if he could setup a test parameter for you. He did this for me on my gp3500.

• Like 2

Normally the SDC 2300 will hit small gold as well as a hot VLF. However, it is a pulse induction(PI) machine and is in fact a variant of the GPX 5000 Fine Gold timing. This means it handles the worst ground as well as possible, and most hot rocks also. This is where a hot VLF will struggle or fail. The downside is there are some weak spots or “holes” in any PI timing scheme, which causes some nuggets to read poorly or not at all. Worse, it’s almost impossible to say what nuggets those might be due to the infinite variety of nugget size, shapes, and composition. This may be why the nugget you have is not reading as well as it might otherwise.

The SDC is made primarily to find gold in ground where VLF detectors struggle or fail. Comparing it to a VLF in an air test has no real bearing on how the machines will perform against each other in the type of location where the SDC is going to excel. The real test of any nugget detector is only partially about how it detects gold. How the detector handles bad ground and hot rocks is every bit as important, and air tests completely ignore this aspect of detector performance.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

SDC is the King of detectors for hunting small nuggets in all types of ground. I hate to see any negative feedback about this detector because I know how well it works.  We have very mild and also highly mineralized in California, and I certainly dont see the vlf detectors getting depth like a PI detector does. There's a reason a vlf is sub $1000 and the SDC is  $3000 plus. I had a friend in Nevada that was darn good with his gold bug vlf, but after finally convincing him he needed to step up to a minelab, he bought a SDC, and he sure started finding a lot more nuggets. Sure his take on tiny gold flakes dropped off, but he was finding nuggets of consequence at depths the vlf just doesnt see, and the weight  was adding up fast. 

• Like 4

Last paragraph of what Steve said.

My 2300 is not going anywhere..(it's actually my wife's) .Vacuums up those tine nuggets that are hard to pin point with the 7000

strick

• Like 2

• The title was changed to SDC 2300 Small Gold Sensitivity