What would the difference be on mineralized rocks and hot bedrock between these two detectors? Took out my 3k and had a hard time detecting due to these two factors. Hoping a new 7k would solve that issue. Thanks.

The GPZ7000 handles mineralization better then the 3000 is the short answer, but the 3000 is a very capable MD and bluntly if you`ve not done any good with it, you may be not applying it correctly in which case the GPZ7000 would not improve on that. Always the detector is a smaller % of the chance of success, the operator is the bigger % , just check out the successes some have with VLF MDs on this 4M. VLFs cannot handle mineralization anywhere near as good as the 3000 or the 7000.

Tis the nature of gold detecting, if it was easy it`d be no challenge, all the best as it is a magic quest.

• Like 5

Can't answer the original question as I don't have the 7000, but I also took my GP 3000 out after three years of it laying idle and within 15 minutes in overworked ground, got a half gram nugget.  It was very stable despite some mineralization and hot rocks and sensitive (got a bunch of shotgun pellets and tiny tacks too).  I was using the 14 inch oval mono and used the left edge to pinpoint the nugget.  It is easy to forget how good this machine really is after using the 4500 and the Gold Bug 2 for three years.  Think I'll be using it a lot this summer.

May Nugget half gram.jpg

• Like 2

If hot rocks are a problem going to a GPX 5000 with its Fine Gold timings is more likely to solve your issue than going to a GPZ 7000. The GPZ is more like a super VLF and struggles with some hot rocks and other difficult situations that a GPX 5000 handles with ease. I don’t regret ditching my GPX in favor of the GPZ but I know it handles my locations. If I had to travel the world dealing with anything chance tossed my way, I would lean back to a GPX myself. Between the settings and coil options the GPX 5000 is in my opinion the most versatile nugget hunter made at this time.

• Like 6

On 5/7/2018 at 12:56 PM, Steviebam said:

What would the difference be on mineralized rocks and hot bedrock between these two detectors? Took out my 3k and had a hard time detecting due to these two factors. Hoping a new 7k would solve that issue. Thanks.

If you’re hunting bedrock and relatively shallow ground, the Minelab SDC 2300 handles really bad ground and hot rocks with ease, and can find gold as small as a grain. Also a tad less expensive than the GPZ 7000. ?

• Like 4

When last I used my GP3000 I was still picking up gold walked over by 4500/5000 users.  I've retired that wand in favor of the 7000 and have not looked back.  Been back to some of those 3000 spots and picked up gold it left behind with the 7000.  Its all in where ya swing it and how well you know your machine.

I installed the button mod so I could work in manual verse's auto GB and I use DD coils on the 3000.  There are plenty of areas the 3000 can go into that the 7000, even with the updates, cant.  However the 7000 punches thru mineralization much better than the 3000 ever did in mild ground.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond. I have barely used the 3k but now I spend a lot of time detecting for gold in BC. No point in having old technology and a dinosaur operator.  I don't think that is a win win situation, especially if you are leaving the gold for someone else. Thanks again for your unbiased opinions. Time to get with the program and get a Z.

• The title was changed to GP 3000 Vs GPZ 7000