GPZ 7000 Auto, Semi Auto, Manual ???

31 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

Hi guys, I just had a thought. Our gold is mostly pretty small, my last multi gram piece is but a distant memory:rolleyes:, I detect in Auto GB, High Yield, Normal, sensitivity up at 18-20. I have had a few, but not overly many, tiny bits that were a signal for me in the first place, hence pulling me up to investigate.Sometimes I swear I just imagine some signals but they turn into something. You know the ones?? While the target was still in the ground undisturbed by my retrieval the signal was always there, did not fade or balance out. Still very faint due to the size, but on moving the target have lost the signal completely. Nothing, nada....having to use the either the GB2 or the GM 1000, depending which one I grab, to find the target & finally retrieve it. The signal has always been a tiny bit of gold that the Zed picked up on initially but once moved was lost. I put this down to the "halo" effect & not balancing the signal out by being in Auto GB. Like I said, while the target was undisturbed in the ground the signal was always there no matter how many times I swept over it. Not until it moved was it gone. Anybody have their own thoughts on this? Thanks.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:    

Combination of orientation and balancing it out. Fix the GB to Manual mode before committing to dig. Use the Semi Auto mode during detecting to keep the GB simple. Make sure the Audio Smoothing is OFF!! Lower the Sensitivity and Volume to suitable levels when using Audio Smoothing OFF, threshold needs to be 27 at this level.

Hope this helps
JP

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Jonathan, is too quick! 

I keep manual set on my user button to make moving from semi-auto to manual easy. I have found that small targets will "disappear after being dug...especially flat bits.  never give up!

fred

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Hi guys, I just had a thought. Our gold is mostly pretty small, my last multi gram piece is but a distant memory:rolleyes:, I detect in Auto GB, High Yield, Normal, sensitivity up at 18-20. I have had a few, but not overly many, tiny bits that were a signal for me in the first place, hence pulling me up to investigate.Sometimes I swear I just imagine some signals but they turn into something. You know the ones?? While the target was still in the ground undisturbed by my retrieval the signal was always there, did not fade or balance out. Still very faint due to the size, but on moving the target have lost the signal completely. Nothing, nada....having to use the either the GB2 or the GM 1000, depending which one I grab, to find the target & finally retrieve it. The signal has always been a tiny bit of gold that the Zed picked up on initially but once moved was lost. I put this down to the "halo" effect & not balancing the signal out by being in Auto GB. Like I said, while the target was undisturbed in the ground the signal was always there no matter how many times I swept over it. Not until it moved was it gone. Anybody have their own thoughts on this? Thanks.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:    

Dunno whether it is the "halo" or just the Z liking undisturbed ground, which in a round about way is the same difference.? But I do know in quiet flogged ground where you can use normal over difficult, manual GB can be the go especially with the 19. But for me semi-autos the go for new ground so far, never can one be totally sure but. Tis a powerful machine no doubt.

JW,

If I'm understanding this, running in Auto, automatically adjusts ferrite for you, no use for ferrite ring. Only in semi, or manual.

On 5/15/2018 at 5:24 AM, kiwijw said:

While the target was still in the ground undisturbed by my retrieval the signal was always there, did not fade or balance out. Still very faint due to the size, but on moving the target have lost the signal completely. Nothing, nada....having to use the either the GB2 or the GM 1000, depending which one I grab, to find the target & finally retrieve it. The signal has always been a tiny bit of gold that the Zed picked up on initially but once moved was lost. I put this down to the "halo" effect & not balancing the signal out by being in Auto GB. Like I said, while the target was undisturbed in the ground the signal was always there no matter how many times I swept over it. Not until it moved was it gone. Anybody have their own thoughts on this? Thanks.

Hey JW. I`ve always put this down to when you move the target you change what the detector sees.  Maybe when it was undisturbed the detector could see a bigger or smaller cross sectional area.  Most of the time when this happens, I find if I move the dirt around that came out of the hole I can re locate it.   I`ve also found when chasing those sub sub grammers that I can no longer hear, turning Target Volume up to max helps re locate them. I generally run a pretty low Target Volume.  Dave

6 hours ago, fredmason said:

I don't think that is correct, Dave....

the ferrite is needed with all modes...IF, I have understood Jonathan Porter correctly.

Fred, if you look at Steves pictures earlier in post, the auto function shows the ferrite automatically adjusts to ground, so if you use the ferrite ring, then start scanning the ground detecting, it will then adjust to the ground, and now your ferrite ring has done no good. I also looked at Jonathan Porters response and he says:

"An edge of detection target will present itself to the detectors electronics as potential ground noise so the Auto GB is going to mess with it somewhat, this is why I always move away from a potential signal response onto clean ground, center the GB under the coil, and then get the GB averaged again by carefully sweeping before moving slowly back in over the target zone. "

I believe the clean ground is averaging the ground, and auto balancing the ground, and ferrite. So if it does this, isnt using the ferrite ring useless in auto?? Hey Jonathan, or Steve if your listening, please correct me....

Thanks...

Dave

P.S. I just purchased a (RED) T130-2 ferrite ring. Im thinking of using a different Ferrite Ring, for testing. Minelab recommends a dust iron toroid with 1-30Mhz freq band, permeability from 6-10. Minelabs (Yellow) Ferrite Ring is a T130-6. Has anyone used a (RED) T130-2 ferrite, as that ferrite seems to still fall in the same recommendation specs.

Hi Dave.  

Obviously JP is the best bloke to tell you in his own words but what I have gleaned off him over the past 18 months is...

The GPZ in AUTO should be ground balanced to the local ground and also to the supplied ferrite ring.  In AUTO , as you use the GPZ, it will slowly become set to the local ferrite and will need to be re-ferrite balanced often during a detecting session.  The GPZ works best when ferrite balanced to the ferrite ring rather than the ground ferrite.  

Now that SEMI AUTO is available JP has suggested that SEMI AUTO is the better option as it locks the ferrite and it will take much longer for the detector to slowly work its way from an optimum ferrite ring balance whilst continuing to automatically ground balance to the local ground conditions. 

Please correct things if I'm wrong JP.  

Dave, it's worth going back through all of JPs posts about the Z and cutting/pasting them into your own little extra special manual.  It doesn't take too long and you can shift things into sections like noise cancel, ground balance, gold modes, etc, etc.. This is what I've done and it gets referred to every few months just as a reminder.  There's a lot in my manual that isn't in the Minelab manual :wink:

Cheers. 

• Like 3