Equinox Beach Finds 13-05-18

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Be careful what you wish for. Equinox is very high gain and that leads to increased susceptibility to EMI. Reducing its susceptibility to EMI will not come without a resultant lessening of sensitivity to desired targets, especially smaller targets and the deepest targets. There is no free lunch.

Since Multi-IQ is receiving multiple frequencies it is more susceptible to EMI. Terry is right in that the single frequency options offer some relief in many areas. In general, low frequencies receive more undesired signals than higher frequencies, and if you flip through them 5 kHz is often the main culprit. 20 kHz on the other hand is usually very quiet by comparison.

Yep, I used 40Khz the other day when I had to detect next to a train. Multi was not going to work anywhere near this train. 40 worked rather well. Like Steve said try 20 and also try 40.

• Like 1

My personal choice to reduce noise in the very worst places I have has been to go down to 15 when under a pier with rides on it but even worse than that has been a road area with a cable or something.  I do know it takes away from the finds a bit because I have found myself some minutes later away from the EMI wondering why I can't hear some of the trash and I remember I am at 15 or 17 and not at 22!

Nuk thinks/knows he is missing targets at that level of sensitivity and will use another detector in that area.

I think a 'test' is in order and actually find out if you can quiet the Nox at any setting and then compare how it finds to the other detector.  If you can't see a target the other machine finds then case closed.  But then we return to confidence ...

Sometimes it is more important than matter ... Mind over matter.

Mitchel

• Like 4

I know I am missing targets and played with sensitivity but it still makes more noise. And as said the headphones keep cutting out  with the machine . I will use the ET today and Terra tomorrow . I will find somewhere else to use the Nox and see what happens but that will have to wait for a while.

I phoned my dealer today . They have my second Nox 800 . So tomorrow i will have it .

Whether there are issues with the machine on my beaches makes no difference , i want 2 of them . In due course i will hunt other beaches and see what it does in less trashy / Irony and electrical disturbance rife beaches . 

I didn't go out today , wanted to service my car but being unable to get the oil filter off meant that had to wait . 6 days till my next day off .

• Like 1

Nuke em, When I tried the 40Khz next to the train I was able to keep a decent sensitivity. Higher than if I kept multi frequency. I would have had to drop it down to 15 or less! in multi. Try 20 KHz or 40 KHz at about 20 sensitivity and let me know how it does. Hope you can find a solution, because sounds like you have some spots most people can not detect with great accuracy! As for the headphones cutting out, make sure your 800's volume is set to full . That way you can turn down your headphones, which may make it behave better.

I will try that out next time i am out , on Tuesday. 

I have decided that instead of selling my Explorer 11 , i am going to sell my E.Trac .

My Terra and Explorer can cope with all the beach issues so if the Nox cant i will be fine . Also trying to get a good price for the Explorer is pretty poor so the ET has to go .

• Like 1