Dave McCracken seems to think 2019 is the year for Ca gold dredging in his recent newsletter, maybe its more than just a rumor?

Re: Cal. mining 2019

Last fall Mr.Poe vehemently declared, suction dredging will be allowed in California in the year of 2019, was there any truth to that? I ask, fore I’ve been out of the loop for a few months dealing with the unexpected illness and subsequent loss of my father as well as having to tend to matters involving his estate which didn’t lend any time for browsing the internet nor was feeling much up to it until right this minute with the realization that March is coming to a close and good news certainly wouldn’t hurt. So, is it a go for dredging in California this year or was  Mr. Poe’s assertion recklessly premature or just hot air? Let me know please, i’m hoping he was spot on. Thanks

Your talking about a State where 3 gallons of dirty water on the ground is considered 'natural habitat' and protected even if on your own property.......not holding my breath.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By PG-Prospecting
      Had a great weekend out prospecting and dredging a club property in Virginia.  Got to meet some new people and have an overall great time camping and dredging.  
      So i just started prospecting this creek and club property this year.  Ive panned and dredged it a few times, all was basically sampling activities.  From research of old workings and looking geologic and lidar maps i choose a specific area to focus on, and the last time out sampling with the dredge started to sniff on decent gold in a 1 hour sample hole with a 4 inch dredge.  The area consists of a spot about 100 yards wide in which the creek has always had to cross since sheer cliff walls bound the stretch on each opposite bank.  A gold bearing feeder also comes in within the stretch which is an added bonus.  The thought is, is that since the creek has always had to cross that 100 yard stretch then an old paystreak should cross it somewhere was well, from back in the days when this area had more conducive climate to being able to transport gold.  
      From what ive heard and seen within the club most people avoid prospecting this creek, due to difficult access, deep overburden and generally not finding much gold once they get in there.  So i have not heard of decent gold coming from it.  But the old history reports say otherwise and state that it is one of the few creeks in this area that was never placer mined due to difficulties that the old timers in the 1800s couldnt overcome.  Sounds like my type of area, if im going to prospect a club property.  

Sample dredging the creek a few weeks before Memorial day weekend.  Notice the 15 foot tall silt bank behind the dredge, its all alluvial flood plain material.  

Gold from the 1 hour sample hole with the 4 inch dredge.  Not fantastic but far above the back ground gold count for this creek.

Camp all set up and the dogs are happy with it.  

Getting the dredges set up.  I decided to bring the 5 inch since the ability to move more material out weighed the extra weight in my opinion.  

Dredging away.  Luckily the overburden depth was only about 2 feet at most, so i was able to cover some ground with the 5 inch.  Got about 2 full good days of dredging in.  

Found some Indian pottery while dredging.  Always awesome to find Indian artifacts.  

And the best part, Success!  Good gold with some nice pickers.  2.4 grams on Saturday and 1 gram on Sunday.  I love when research, sampling and hard work culminates into some great cleanups in new areas.  

Got a new spot to continue to work know, and i know there are more pickers and possibly nuggets nearby, just gotta get my dredge nozzle over them.  
      Hope everyone else had a great memorial day weekend.  
      Heavy pans!
    • By oldmancoyote1
      It's been raining here in the Klamaths for many days.  My camper leaks.  The only dry spot was my bed.
    • By Smithsgold
      Metal Detecting an Old Homestead

Join Jeff as he Metal Detects an Old Homesite looking for hidden Treasures.
      Hope you enjoy the video,

Jeff
    • By Smithsgold
      Recirculating Sluice

Testing a Recirculating Sluice and the  April Update on what we have going on . Sneak peek at our next video !!!!
      Hope you enjoy the video,
       Jeff
    • By PG-Prospecting
      Beautiful day out on the river doing some scouting and testing of new equipment.  Only got to punch one sample hole.  Little too much overburden at about 4 feet.  Got a little color, just need to find more easily worked ground.  

• By 1515Art
      All the bad weather, snow and to many things I need to take care of no chance to get away for a trip to gold country, been watching tons of YouTube gold related videos on prospecting related stuff and the occasional Jeep roll over compilation just to scare me into not doing that stuff with my Jeep on the gold trail😲. Lots of ideas on the web for idle hands to foolishly venture, not that I don’t have anything to occupy my time, but a little sucking device somehow seemed like a good idea, so off I go... I’ve been building my little Jeep friendly recirculating sluice and thought I would try making a nozzle for use with the pump I already own, just a few pipe fittings and a little part here and there. I already have a Keene high banker setup and 90gpm Honda pump I can’t use in California, but something small for Jeep travel where it’s ok might come in handy, so I build the first one paying attention to everything I can think of to reduce friction and any head pressure and the little bilge pump was inadequate for the task.  

searching the web for 12v pumps it’s hard to find anything that produces both volume and pressure at a reasonable price, the rule 4000 utility pump was the most powerful at 66gpm open flow and max lift of approx 30’ with over half its rated volume at 15’, but at a cost of 20amp hrs power consumption, they even made a two stage model rated at 134gpm same rated lift. Only problem the rule evacuator pump line are discontinued and I could only find one seller in the US that still had 3 in stock, every one else was out and the product is no longer listed one the manufacturers web site. I passed on the rule4000 and found a reasonable priced 1000 gph utility pump with a rated max lift of 7m out of Korea and ordered one, it won’t arrive until sometime in April I find out so we’ll see but I suspect it was a waste.

I should have stopped reading about water pumps, but didn’t and found another 12v pump that looked better with more volume than my bilge pump or the Korean pump and with a rated max lift of 7m burning only 13amp hr from my battery and ordered it.

superior pump came today and I outfitted my nozzle with the new pump along with a water proof power switch and cigarette lighter socket power cord, even with the power of this pump (1/4hp) the suction is inhibited by the discharge restriction and lift enough to make it not quite just enough suction to be practical, however pumping directly into a container without the lift it will suck dirt and gravel more than enough to be worth trying out for bedrock cracks. Everything but the battery weighs 8# total out of the water and in the water it’s slightly negative buoyancy keeps it on the bottom without feeling heavy it also feels fairly well balanced.

Before the superior pump arrived eBay kept nagging me about the rule4000 and I still couldn’t find a replacement for this now discontinued pump, so with only the 3 left I figured it was only a couple hundred and I’d might regret it more later if I passed cause I’m on a mission now and pulled the trigger on the rule pump, estimate it arrives on Friday. At over twice the power and capacity of the superior 12v pump it should pump material into my little highbanker if I get a larger battery.

Anyway more to come...