Mike

A lot of people have talked about the coil comparisons in the GPZ video with regards to the larger deeper stuff. What about the fact that the GPZ is being said to go deeper than an SDC on small gold – 14" coil compared to 8" coil. If that's the case I'm impressed. I also hope there will be an 8" coil option in the GPZ's future. Imagine how much better it could do on sub gram nuggets if it had that coil! My question is; Does the GPZ really beat an SDC on small nuggets even with a 14" Coil? Is that number coming from that 5 gram mark or sub grammars too?

With the detector reaching buyers this Friday and that one website doing a countdown to Wednesday, I suspect the gag will be lifted off Steve and JP Wednesday as well. Whenever they get to talk, I look forward to hearing their conclusions. I look forward to seeing the gold they've found with it as well!

If you look at this intro video on the Minelab site, at about 01:20 into the film, there is a diagram of the new DOD coil. Basically you are getting a DD coil with an overlapping oval coil in the centre. I imagine this centre coil works very much like the coil on the SDC 2300, with the added benefit of the signals picked up by the DD coils on either side.

I'm not an engineer so I have no idea which coil, or what percentage of signal from each coil, is intepreted by the detector in its different modes, but on small gold I would suspect the GPZ 7000 runs like an SDC 2300 with the benefit of some extra signals from the DD coils, pushing it's performance to about 15% more than the SDC 2300 in best case scenarios. In real life, I expect the two perform quite similarly on small gold. Where the GPZ 7000 has the advantage is the bigger and/or deeper gold because the design and size of the coil, and the signal technology behind it, is better suited for finding that gold.

But that's me guessing. Unless Steve or Jonathan can run both detectors side by side and observe their capabilities on test nuggets in different soils, it's hard to say.