A lot of people have talked about the coil comparisons in the GPZ video with regards to the larger deeper stuff. What about the fact that the GPZ is being said to go deeper than an SDC on small gold – 14" coil compared to 8" coil. If that's the case I'm impressed. I also hope there will be an 8" coil option in the GPZ's future. Imagine how much better it could do on sub gram nuggets if it had that coil! My question is; Does the GPZ really beat an SDC on small nuggets even with a 14" Coil? Is that number coming from that 5 gram mark or sub grammars too?

With the detector reaching buyers this Friday and that one website doing a countdown to Wednesday, I suspect the gag will be lifted off Steve and JP Wednesday as well. Whenever they get to talk, I look forward to hearing their conclusions. I look forward to seeing the gold they've found with it as well!

If you look at this intro video on the Minelab site, at about 01:20 into the film, there is a diagram of the new DOD coil. Basically you are getting a DD coil with an overlapping oval coil in the centre. I imagine this centre coil works very much like the coil on the SDC 2300, with the added benefit of the signals picked up by the DD coils on either side.

I'm not an engineer so I have no idea which coil, or what percentage of signal from each coil, is intepreted by the detector in its different modes, but on small gold I would suspect the GPZ 7000 runs like an SDC 2300 with the benefit of some extra signals from the DD coils, pushing it's performance to about 15% more than the SDC 2300 in best case scenarios. In real life, I expect the two perform quite similarly on small gold. Where the GPZ 7000 has the advantage is the bigger and/or deeper gold because the design and size of the coil, and the signal technology behind it, is better suited for finding that gold.

But that's me guessing. Unless Steve or Jonathan can run both detectors side by side and observe their capabilities on test nuggets in different soils, it's hard to say.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Smithsgold
      Moving Boulders to find more Gold Nuggets 
      We return to move a boulder that's been keeping me awake at night just thinking about what might be underneath it. This boulder is sitting on Bedrock just above the main flow of the river so it could be loaded with Gold !!!! I worked the crevice around it and pulled out a couple pickers and a lot of lead so lets see what's under that boulder. Detectors used Minelab SDC 2300 and the White's Gold Master V-Sat .
      SG 040

• By Erik Oostra
      I’ve been following the battle between the old dog (GPZ-7000) and young dog (GPX-6000) with keen interest.. From what I can make of it, the young dog’s winning its battles in the USA and the old dog in Australia.. So far it seems the old dog can handle a scruff on heavily mineralized and ‘hot rock’ infested grounds better than the young dog, who prefers milder grounds.. But it’s too early in the day to scorn the young dog, it’s only just finding its feet in the world.. The old dog might’ve fought it out with other GPXs and always come out on top, but this young dog seems to have more sense of geology than its cousins.. Maybe a few more dust-ups in the old dog’s yard might do the young dog some good.. Or maybe the old dog won’t let the young dog anywhere near its yard no more? Maybe they should flog it out on neutral grounds somewhere, another 'Rumble in the Jungle'? Only time will tell who emerges Top Dog of the World , as with most other dog fights.. Hackles come up and fur starts to fly..  
    • By Papasmurph
      Has anyone had any issues with their coil chip failing?
      l bought a second hand 19” coil for my GPZ and it worked fine for several months and then out of the blue, it failed.
      Minelab suggested that I buy a new coil. After a bit of research I decided to have a dongle made up from my 14” coil and now 12 or so months later the chip in the dongle has failed. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a problem with the detector or am I just very unlucky?
    • By Elijah
      Hello gentlemen, finally someone from the Australian guys made an honest comparison

• By Rob Allison
      Hey Guys,
          I figured we can stir the pot just a little while we wait out the release of the Minelab GPX 6000, right?  
      That being said, Minelab still claims the GPZ 7000 can get "up to 40% more depth" over previous GPX detectors.  We can all question, does the GPX 6000 still fit in this category, as Minelab stated GPX detectors.  The upcoming Minelab GPX 6000 is still a GPX series detector, but primarily using GeoSense Technology.  I don't see where GeoSense really talks about any more depth ability over the previous GPX 5000, but it does mention about better ground response/clarity, maybe allowing you to hear something in higher mineralized ground over previous GPX series.  
      I don't claim to be an expert electronic prospector, but my specialty is in detecting for gold nuggets with the best detectors available.  We call all talk about how much gold we found, years of experience, regions we hunted and such ..... 
      The bottom line is I still feel the Minelab GPZ 7000 is the KING of detectors when it comes to depth.  Many Australian, African and US prospecting friends still feel the same.  I personally have found many large gold nuggets and specimens at max depth where I doubt any detector with a similar sized searchcoil would have found.  I also know that probably 1% or less of those large gold nuggets/specimens are out there still and the ones at max depth range of the current detector technology.  
      Does this justify the purchase of a Minelab GPZ 7000 over the upcoming GPX 6000, or should GPZ 7000 owners dump their units now?  These are questions I personally can't advise anyone on, but it's something to consider when you make a purchase of a metal detector in the thousands of dollar range.  
      What I can leave you with is my personal experience over the last 25 years chasing gold nuggets .... If you are in areas where there has been historically large gold nuggets, overburden to bedrock/paylayer/caliche/false bedrock that can be several feet and deeper in depth, you might seriously consider either holding your current GPZ 7000 or consider a purchase of one at some point.  
      I personally will not be parting with my trusty GPZ 7000, we have a 5+ year personal relationship.  We have been through tough times, bad weather, I even yelled at her and dropped her a few times!  Like Steve mentioned before, you could actually fall in love with your detector. 
      Wishing you all much success with whatever detector(s) you swing. 
      P.S.  Below is a recent GPZ 7000 find, max depth, just a break in the threshold (yes the GPZ 7000 has one). Nearly a pound in weight (uncleaned in picture) 
      Rob