What Vdi Are Your Buffs & V Nics Coming In At?

Hey Everyone...I hope you all had a great weekend hunt.

At present time, I'm chasing buffs & V nics. I did enough silver and wheats since last year and I want to focus on different things one category at a time.

This morning I was able to spend approx 3 hours at a 3-4 acre 1920's park until they took over the field for soccer. Got 6 nics and other goodies. 

There were just as many quarter signals as there were dimes and pennies signals. Tells me that it isn't getting hunted much, if any... right?

In my quest for nics, I'm blocking out everything except 12/13 and 18+ and I have been doing well with the nics this way. If a silver gets in the way, then it's icing on the cake. 

What prompted me to write is this morning I dug a nic with an erratic signal and it got me wondering. It rang up as a weak 12/13. Threw it in AM and a 16 pops up, then a 14, but then drops back down to 12/13.  Threw it in 10khz and the numbers didn't move much. I decided to dig which I normally would not do if it isn't a steady 12/13. But I did anyways, then out comes a bent, slightly cut Jefferson. There was nothing else in the hole after a 2nd sweep of the coil. This now makes me wonder if I need to open up the numbers a little more... like maybe 11 - 14? I don't want to miss that V or Buff. 

Thanks for stopping in and giving your feedback.

600x591.jpg

• Like 3

Happa54, you will certainly miss some v and/or shield nickels unless you drop it down. 10 to 14 with 11,12,13 being the main numbers. It seems it's always better if there are just two main numbers but that's not always the case. I've got to get a war nickel before the end of the month to do the nickel sweep. Last month I found all but the war nickel in one day. Buff and v from a yard and shield from a park. I was pretty stoked. The Equinox loves nickels!! Good luck!! Tom

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Tometusns said:

Happa54, you will certainly miss some v and/or shield nickels unless you drop it down. 10 to 14 with 11,12,13 being the main numbers. It seems it's always better if there are just two main numbers but that's not always the case. I've got to get a war nickel before the end of the month to do the nickel sweep. Last month I found all but the war nickel in one day. Buff and v from a yard and shield from a park. I was pretty stoked. The Equinox loves nickels!! Good luck!! Tom

Thank you Tom...I'll follow your suggestion and open up 10 - 14. The times I have seen an 11 or 14 mixed in with the 12/13 it has always been a pulltab. But then somewhere I recently read (and I don't remember where) that a deep Buffalo can come in at 11. So, we'll see... I"ll start digging more trash if it means getting more buffs and my bucket lister V nic and if I'm lucky enough I might get a Shield. 

• Like 1

12-13 is the sweet spot for nickels, but it doesn't cover the spectrum.  If the coin has been in the ground a long time then it can go down.  If it's a Warnick it can go up.  If you're OK with digging some pop tops (and occasional other junk) and you're in an area that you expect old nickels and Warnicks, I wouldn't be too restrictive.

I've yet to see any nickel hit 15, but that doesn't rule it out.  I've definitely seen nickels hit 11.

• Like 2

I have dug quiet a few V and Buffalo Nickels and they all have come in 12 -13..  Even the deep ones.  My Equinox has been eerily solid on Nickels like no other detector I’ve owned..  any flash of anything other then 12-13 has been something besides a Nickel..

Bryan

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

.  My Equinox has been eerily solid on Nickels like no other detector I’ve owned..  any flash of anything other then 12-13 has been something besides a Nickel..

Bryan

Same here!

Happa54, Just want to add when sweeping a nickel target and a14 pops in I don't like it... but war nickels will hit there so even though most of the time that's a bad sign it could be a war nickel. Obviously more tabs than war nickels. With that said I'll dig them (a 14 popping in) more often in a yard than in a park where tabs abound. Same way going down 11,12 could be a beaver tail but it could also be a v or shield nickel. On the extremes I've had a worn v with a 10 popping in and even a 15 showing up on one war nickel. Location and how many times a bad number pops in are the main factors that determines when I dig a nickel signal. But I dig a lot of nickels... and tabs too...lol. Good luck... hope that helps a little. Tom

• Like 1

I agree with everyone here.  My nickels are generally 13, deeper (older ones) are 12-13 bounces, in many cases.  I've had a VERY occasional bounce down to 11, or up to 14, but mostly 12/13.  I did dig one Jefferson that was a 12 in the ground, and a perfect 12 even in an air test, but those are usually solid 13.  Deeper/older ones, I expect some 12s mixed in.  But, like others have said, for me it's location dependent, and also depth dependent, as to what I dig.  In an old location (especially a home site) with old coins, I'll reach for a slightly larger range around that "13" number when trying to dig nickels...but in a trashy park, an 11 or 12 is usually a beaver tail, and a 14, or even a 13/14 bouncer, is usually a rectangular tab.

For what it's worth, I personally have yet to dig a nickel where I have seen a "10" show up, even once, or a "15."  All have been within the 11-14 range, and ALL of them with plenty of either 12 or 13 numbers -- usually both (on a deep one).

Steve

• Like 6

This is all really good info on the nickels, and as SteveG has pointed out, deciding whether or not to dig on iffy nickel signals is highly dependent on the location.
In the areas I'm currently working, there is no sense in expecting war nickels, so I'm pretty much locked on 12-13 to dig, and from the posts above, I will no longer dig on 14 flashes while hunting these vacant home yards.

Frank

Thanx everyone for chiming in on this subject for me.

Thank goodness there are very little changes to the VDI's with the nickels. One bump on the #'s either way is manageable. So, I may have to dig a little more but that's okay. Time will tell. The number of nics I dig will set the bar for me. I don't want to miss that V, Shield or Buff. 

Re the War nics...I remember the first one I dug about a year ago, was a high CO signal. Upon retrieval, I thought to myself, "Oh, a nick in the hole with a dime or maybe some silver". But I couldn't find anything else. So I passed the nic across my coil and there it was...a high CO signal. That was when I realized I had a War nic that I've heard so much about. The other War nics I've recovered were consistent at 14 on my ML Safari. 

A while back, my Etrac buddy asked, "Did you get that high tone or mid tone on those?" Obviously he had the same experience. 

So now with the Nox, where will the VDI be on a high tone War nic? I'm thinking they will be somewhere between zinc and dime.

I guess so my next question in the future will be...."What was the VDI on your high tone War nic with your Nox?" Oh boy!!!!