What Vdi Are Your Buffs & V Nics Coming In At?

Happa --

Thanks for the pics, and info.  VERY interestingly, my hunting partner dug two of these "high-reading" war nickels so far this year, and both were 1943-S.  Your high-reading one was 1943-S.  Meanwhile, you dug a 1944-D that read "properly;" I dug a 1945-P last week that read "properly."  

This makes me feel like I need to start collecting data from detectorists as to the year and mint mark of any high-reading nickels, in order to try and unravel this mystery.

I have posted to a well-known numismatic forum today, asking for info -- and if anyone knows of any alloys that have been known to have been used that deviated from the final, officially-decided-upon 35% silver, 56% copper, 9% manganese alloy.  No one has come up with anything yet, still suggesting to me that we, as detectorists, may be "onto something" here that is not known, or at least, not WIDELY known, in numismatic circles.  There may have been no reason for numismatists to ever SUSPECT, and thus no reason to think to "check for" different compositions.  Meanwhile, our machines are very likely, inadvertently, acting as "alloy irregularity" indicators, without the need for expensive XRF equipment...

I find this fascinating...

Steve

• Like 1

I checked 13 war nickels. 9 came up solid 13's, 1- 12/13's, 2- 13/14's and 1- 14/15's. No explanation just what they came in at. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, steveg said:

Happa --

Thanks for the pics, and info.  VERY interestingly, my hunting partner dug two of these "high-reading" war nickels so far this year, and both were 1943-S.  Your high-reading one was 1943-S.  Meanwhile, you dug a 1944-D that read "properly;" I dug a 1945-P last week that read "properly."  

This makes me feel like I need to start collecting data from detectorists as to the year and mint mark of any high-reading nickels, in order to try and unravel this mystery.

I have posted to a well-known numismatic forum today, asking for info -- and if anyone knows of any alloys that have been known to have been used that deviated from the final, officially-decided-upon 35% silver, 56% copper, 9% manganese alloy.  No one has come up with anything yet, still suggesting to me that we, as detectorists, may be "onto something" here that is not known, or at least, not WIDELY known, in numismatic circles.  There may have been no reason for numismatists to ever SUSPECT, and thus no reason to think to "check for" different compositions.  Meanwhile, our machines are very likely, inadvertently, acting as "alloy irregularity" indicators, without the need for expensive XRF equipment...

Steve

SteveG

I'll dig out my war nickels tonight or tomorrow and check them all and report back. Curious about the 43-S'.  Perhaps they are mixed with a little unobtanium?  That would explain a lot. 

Rich (Utah)

3 hours ago, Tometusns said:

I checked 13 war nickels. 9 came up solid 13's, 1- 12/13's, 2- 13/14's and 1- 14/15's. No explanation just what they came in at. 

Now this is making me crazy....LOL

And we know for sure the '43-S has a TDI of 20+

Tometusns -- thanks very much for those numbers.  Your numbers make total sense.

Rich -- sounds good.  I'd like to hear what yours read.  Yes -- unobtanium!  I think that is definitely it!

Happa -- I hear you.  It made me crazy too.  My buddy dug one -- told me about it, and I didn't believe him.  12-43 on his CTX -- penny number.  I made him re-check it in an air test, same thing...and then made him air test it with his Deus.  Penny ID on his Deus, too.

If that's not bad enough, a month later he dug another one!  '43-S again, and penny ID on his CTX again...

???

Steve

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:01 AM, steveg said:

Happa --

Steve

-----

I found this 1943 P war nickel at a VDI of 13 on my Nox 600.

PICT0003warnickel1.jpg

warnickel2.jpg

• Like 2

Little late to the topic, (new user here) but like many others have said, about 85% of my nickels have beep at 13 with 12% or so coming in at 12. I'm sure that soil grade, depth and coin condition will play a part in the end outcome, but those are the sweet spots.

My first nickel (in fact, first coin) I dug with my Nox 800 about a month when I got it was at an old home site I hammered relentlessly with my Garrett Ace 400 numerous times. It was about six inches down and was a banging solid 13, no matter which way I turned. Love those 13's ?

-Bill

IMG_1268.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:10 AM, Happa54 said:

Thanx everyone for chiming in on this subject for me.

I guess so my next question in the future will be...."What was the VDI on your high tone War nic with your Nox?" Oh boy!!!!

-----

I just checked a complete set of war nickels - minus error coins.  I indoor air tested them with default park 1 settings,  sensitivity 15.  All eleven war nickels were between 12, 13 & 14 VDI  with VDI of 13 being the median value. 

I hope to find one of those high reading war nicks.

It's getting boring with all this snow and cold .  :-)