Happa54

What Vdi Are Your Buffs & V Nics Coming In At?

GB_Amateur,

Very interesting, and informative post.  

No, I have not weighed the nickels, but I certainly could do so.  I will put that on my list of things to do soon.  

As for your ideas about XRF analysis on both sides, averaging, etc. -- I'd love to have all that done.  The source I used for the XRF analysis is not an option for further testing -- they did as much for me as they could, and as I said, they are not set up for, nor have the experience with, analyzing for the types of metals contained within the coins.  I would love to find another possibility for XRF analysis, somewhere with experience dealing with the metals in question.  Some suggested a gold/jewelry shop, etc. -- and it's still something I plan to check into.  I certainly would like more answers...

Yes, I am familiar with the coin guidebooks you mention; interesting that there's not too much in there about the war nickels, and any "alternate" compositions aside from the "official."  Perhaps you are right that any "deviations" in composition of the planchets -- if they indeed existed -- were not recorded, but I'd be surprised...

I still hold out that one possibility is that that the deviations being seen are mainly on the SURFACE of the coins, and thus it being the ground that is contributing.  For instance, Oklahoma has very irony-red dirt; would a war nickel with "crud" on it, show up as having iron content, when the iron is really in the "crud," and not the nickel itself?

I don't think this is a full explanation, but it is something to think about...

Steve

5 hours ago, steveg said:

I still hold out that one possibility is that that the deviations being seen are mainly on the SURFACE of the coins, and thus it being the ground that is contributing.  For instance, Oklahoma has very irony-red dirt; would a war nickel with "crud" on it, show up as having iron content, when the iron is really in the "crud," and not the nickel itself?

I've wondered myself about the location of the eddy currents in metal objects.  But one piece of evidence we have to show it's not right on the surface -- clad coins.  The fact that they show high conductivity (characteristic of copper and thus their cores) indicates it's not purely a surface effect.  So my conclusion is that what you are seeing is deeper than some surface layer/scale/etc.

Found one of those oddball War Nickels that read high today.  It’s a 43 S and rang up 17-18.  It has a black corrosion on it that is real hard to chip off. Feels like a crusty Zinc.. definitely not a normal type of corrosion I’m used to seeing on a War Nickel which tend to come out nice and bright or with a slight yellow tinge .

Also found a decent 23 S Buffalo that came in the usual 12-13.  

Bryan

09F1C4B1-027A-4F0A-9055-1A9C0E8F88CE.jpeg

837846BA-820D-4509-9805-C26725E146B3.jpeg

• Like 3

The Warnick mystery continues -- chicken or egg.  Is it the corrosion that's causing the high reading or is it a (non-standard) alloy with its high reading that is leading to the unusual corrosion?

Nice Buffie.  I can see that you had to work it over to make it look nice.  Nickels in particular have a difficult time surviving unscathed after many decades in the ground.  Any full date Buffie is a good find in my book.  S mintmarks typically even better.

• Like 2

Is it the silver '43 nickle that this thread is about? The black stuff looks similar to the sulfide you would expect on a sulfide coin.

I would expect it to ring up higher then a regular American nickle as it doesn't have any magnetic nickle in it, just copper silver and a bit of mag all non ferrous.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By TreasureHunter5
      Wow! Look at what just came out of my aunts backyard! It looks like a 1976/bicentennial coin collection. It clean up really nice after a lot of work. It was not very deep. I am really glad I didn’t damage the acrylic(I think it is acrylic).  I wonder how it got into the ground. Did someone bury it on purpose? Who knows. It is a great display. I can’t believe how nice it is. What do you think?

• By Bash
      So I've been getting a lot of clad coins with both the Equinox and the Vanquish 440 in the local parks, but even in the older ones, silver coins have escaped me for a couple of months now.  In between thunderstorms this afternoon, I hit the neighbor's parking strip, and in less than ten minutes, I pulled two silvers and a wheatie!  My first silver quarter, AND my first Canadian silver. The quarter is pretty trashed, but I'm glad just the same!
      Felt good to break the slump!

• By GB_Amateur
      I've been discussing qualities of Minelab lately (mostly in a negative light) and I decided to step back and ask myself why I use their Equinox 800 almost exclusively.  It's worth starting out by saying I'm an old coin hunter (where 'old' is meant to refer to 'coin', although it also applies to 'hunter' 😁) the majority of the time, and and native gold hunter when the opportunity presents itself (not often enough).  I've never detected near salt water and only occasionally (in shallow creeks) detected in water.  Relics and jewerly aren't ignored but they typically only show up when I'm coin hunting, as peripheral bonuses.
      I want to emphasize from the beginning that I'm not reviewing/comparing these two for all conditions or even conditions that might apply to the average detectorist.  This is all about me, well, about my conditions, particularly my hunting preferences/goals.  Although that may seem selfish/uninteresting/unapplicable to readers here, in the least it might get you thinking about how different detectors 'weigh in' for your type of detecting.  A Minelab GPX 5000 might be well worth the cost and backbreaking swings for someone, but if it doesn't fit your intended targets and locations then you wasted a couple thousand $ and may not even be maximizing your intended finds.
      I'll put some more caveats at the end, but basically I've broken this into three parts.  The first are some quantitative/qualitative properties that are easily measured/stated.  Next are the less quantifiable features/performances that mean the most to me.  3rd I list qualities that I determine are important but for which I don't see a significant advantage for either model based upon my usage.  And finally I'll mention some of the things which most comparisons emphasize but for which I don't because..., well, you can read the reasons I give then.
      For completeness, the Fisher F75 is a 13 kHz single frequency IB/VLF detector whose initial model was released 11-12 years ago.  Although I own the F75 limited (Black), I'm instead comparing the F75 plus since it has all the features I use at a lower price.  The Minelab Equinox, both a simultaneous multifrequency and selectable multifrquency (5 kHz to 40 kHz) was released early 2018 with two models which continue to be the only ones available.  The 800 model has more features.  That is the one I own and compare here.  One final clarification:  in the second section, '++' means a feature/performance which is very important to me, and '+' means important, but less so.  I emphasize 'to me'.  That is, it might be a small or meaningless difference to many but it matters a lot to me.

I suspect many of you have noticed I haven't included such fundamental features as waterproof/submersible and multifrequency/single frequency.   The former is because it doesn't affect my hunting requirements.  The latter is a bit more complicated.  Rather than mentioning operating frequencies, I chose to emphasize the performance features.  I don't really care what frequency/frequencies are being used as long as the detector performs (or outperforms) in the categories that matter to me.  For example, simultaneous multifrequency improves the accuracy of the TID for deep/weak targets.  The Eqx 800 got a ++ there.
      It should be clear that in the center section, which IMO is the most important, the Eqx 800 clearly outperformed the F75.  My preference for the Eqx 800 as my primary and the F75 as my backup is thus justified.
      Update 1:  based upon some questions that follow in this thread, I will do more detailed depth test comparisons to clarify my claim that F75 has more raw depth.  I'll report those results in this thread as soon as I finish and will put another update on this post to call attention to it.
    • By TreasureHunter5
      Here are most of my good finds of the past year. I have a lot of pennies, a few dimes, 2 quarters, and 1 nickel. I saved a few old pull tabs because they were out of use before I was around. I have a button, a toy car wheel, A few bottle caps, a spoon head, a few keys, a EP co cap, a knife, and a broken toy gun. I have a few finds not shown here. Like an arrow to a bow, a game horseshoe, another toy gun, and a few older coins that went into my coin collection. The gun in the bag in from the 1950s I believe, and a picture of a mint condition one is below. The mason jar liner was un broken when I found it but I hit is with the shovel( I saved it anyway). The zinc cap was to far gone to save. Hope they are interesting to look at.

• By Dances With Doves
      I was detecting about 8 years ago when someone walking on the beach handed me a earring they just picked up on the shoreline.That was the easiest gold  I ever got. This is the test target which is  .53  grams and 3/4 inches in diameter thin  hoop yellow 10k earring that I buried a little over 4'' with open clasp which is way more difficult.I tried the GMX with a 10 sens. and boost 2 with sat in middle setting and I  got a soft signal on the target and I could lift the coil and still get it in 1  direction but in other angles it was  a little weaker.It seems you need more coil control on this machine for tough targets with the sat.This test is a pass.
    • By Dances With Doves
      I took the 11inch coil off because it was on backwards   and  I finally  noticed it. I did good  with it on backwards.I put on the 6" coil and tested my tough targets.I tested the 5''   deep 18k yellow gold chain first in pk2 and it was  great.In  multi freq.   It hit the chain solid  with a great id of 1-2.Same mode  but in 20kz.I get a good hit with  mostly up average numbers where I would dig if I was chain  hunting.I put it in 40kz. and it hit better with better   sounding up average numbers.I then put  it in gold 2 mode and could run multi freq. up to 23 and it slammed it with great id numbers .I put it then in 20kz. and it hit it good with nice up average numbers.I put it in 40kz. and it slammed it with great up average sounding numbers.The 6inch coil is a winner on this target in many  different settings.I  will do a write up on the small  deep white gold ring next.The 6inch coil has it's place for  small gold.