90 Minutes With The 600 Over Lunch...

I had about 90 minutes around lunchtime on Sunday, while my wife and son were out shopping, to hit a couple of the vacant military family housing units within walking distance of our house.  THese houses are scheduled for demolition this year, and were built between 1958-1964. Two small front yards on Park 1, NC, GB Auto, 20 sens, APTX LL phones, Ferrous 1, 50 tones, 3 recovery.  

I actually ignored what were likely pennies after the first half hour. Looking for better.

Ended up after 90 minutes with one Silver 1951 Quarter, 2 wheaties, four clad quarters, six clad dimes, one nickel, and six copper pennies.  The unusual was a 1940's-1950's US Air Force button, and a Fleur de Lise (sp?) Large button from the front yards.  Happy to have hit silver again within 3 minutes walk from our house, and a military bottle opener as a final bonus!  Lovin this 600, and can't wait for the 800 I still have on order!  10 days to go before we move from this base in Florida to Oklahoma. Hopefully, virgin ground on base there as well!

AFButton.jpg.8f7b1d45ec1e89d9b3aff7e43005854f.jpgbuttonMark.jpg.dfb4a26b5151a16fb12d3f9c499d8416.jpg1951Front.jpg.de53bb44057c0e03f049dddc23aeab98.jpg1951Back.jpg.25d73e89ccec2caac863176465812d95.jpgFleureButton.jpg.bca3a28b08582616fb04d0acf1593f4f.jpg

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, SittingElf said:

I actually ignored what were likely pennies after the first half hour. Looking for better.

Ended up after 90 minutes with one Silver 1951 Quarter, 2 wheaties, four clad quarters, six clad dimes, one nickel, and six copper pennies.

Excellent finds!  Being able to hunt restricted areas such as military bases is certainly a plus.

I don't understand what you mean by "...ignored what were likely pennies..." when you subsequently dug two Wheats and six (Memorial?) coppers.  Do you mean you ignored Zincolns?

No, I got the pennies early, and with limited time, I really wasn't interested in pennies...of any kind. Just ignored 18-21, but even so, I dug some coppers that were indicating up to 24 TID.

NICE job, once again, Elf!  Those old military houses have been good to you!  Superb!  You really have a great training ground there, for the Equinox!

Steve

• Thanks 1

After some research, I found that the US Air Force button was manufactured by L&R Metal Products Corp, Bronx, NY.
Likely from the late 40's or early 50's.  This button was primarily manufactured by Waterford, but L&R also had a limited production of them.

If the reverse still had the actual attachment, it would have spelled out the L&R company name around the rim.

I love solving puzzles like this!  Now I just need to find out what the Fleur de lis large button was from. I can't find an identical design anywhere online.

• Like 1

Nice work! I usually ignore the zinc penny numbers as well in the more modern areas I hunt. Last evening though, I got surprised. I was hunting a small wood chips tot lot as I only had about an hour. It was pretty clean. Someone else must have hit it recently. I'm detecting the area of the big kid swings and I got a solid "zinc penny" hit 19-20. I decided to dig it since targets were few and was rewarded with a beautiful brass compass. Weird. Sometimes you just don't know what you're passing on.

Dean

• Like 1