Sign in to follow this  
Mark Gillespie

Cinders, Cinders And More Cinders

Even though the Equinox handles the old school yards where they have discarded the coal waste for decades, it still struggles when the ground is saturated.  I went hunting Sunday and the machine was very hard to hunt with, continuous ground chatter.  Tried each preset program with both GB 0, manual GB and tracking and all displayed issues with this ground. Finally, I opened up the screen and the results were astonishing, continuous iron audio reports from the waste.  Decreased sensitivity to 15 and increased the recovery to 8 and finally started finding non-ferrous items mixed in the cinder waste.  Amazing just how fast this machine can recover amongst all the cinder.  The ground really needs to be bone dry to hunt with a VLF machine of any kind but the Equinox did okay.  My PI machine is still the raining champ when it comes to this type of ground conditions.

Still waiting on 1st Texas and their new PI and I’m hoping it has some sort of discrimination feature.

• Like 4

I know you say you tried all the presets Mark but just to confirm.... you tried the beach settings? The reason I ask is the beach modes are more like “difficult ground modes” and not just for beach use.

• Like 3

Great point, I did not:sad: try the beach modes.  I guess I was totally consumed in adjusting the first 4 modes I must have forgot.

Now I must revisit the same location with a different mindset.  Awesome

• Like 1

Steve can I assume you are talking about beach mode 2 (wet salt sand) and not 1 (dry sand)

Both beach modes though Beach 2 is the far more aggressive at signal reduction than Beach 1. My personal estimation of how the various modes line up:

Hottest (more sensitive to small targets, hot ground/rocks, and saltwater - high frequency weighting)

1. Gold Mode
2. Park Mode 2 and Field Mode 2
3. Park Mode 1 and Field Mode 1
4. Beach Mode 1
5. Beach Mode 2

Least Hot (less sensitive to small targets, hot ground/rocks, and saltwater - low frequencty weighting)

83D344AA-F067-424F-9207-EB0CA057E431.jpe

• Like 2

air test of the Equimox 800 programs for fine gold and silver..fine gold chain1, medium gold chain2,small silver coin parvus 3,gold heart4,gold earings 5.....Test in Sens18...and recovery speed 4...

maj 21 2018 apple 5S 024_DxO.jpg

• Like 4

WOW.  Very interesting chart, EL NINO.  Amazing differences on some of those items, between the "1" modes and the "2" modes...

Steve

Only place where reducing the TX power in conjunction to ground noise is mentioned about the Equinox.  No doubt the programming “algorithms” used, monitor and adjust transmit power down but also up in areas of low ground noise.  One thing I can confirm is that Beach 1 can see and give a good audio on every target in my test area.   

Looking forward to hunting my cinder fields with these two modes.

On 23 May 2018 at 1:06 AM, Mark Gillespie said:

Only place where reducing the TX power in conjunction to ground noise is mentioned about the Equinox.  No doubt the programming “algorithms” used, monitor and adjust transmit power down but also up in areas of low ground noise.  One thing I can confirm is that Beach 1 can see and give a good audio on every target in my test area.   

Looking forward to hunting my cinder fields with these two modes.

Hurry up and get out there so we can see what happens 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Rmoore7167
      HI
      Im brand new to detecting and have the Nox 800.  I thought id do a test bed and search around home first before going out...Im having a issue trying to figure out what is what...I have a VID numbers list but not sure i see galvanized nails, bolts washers etc...  My readings are all over the place...so just started digging up yard 😂.  Tons of stainless steel nails (For siding i assume) as well..when i go over these targets in park 2, 15hz and multi i get readings of 24-30and they also jump all over...so I go into all metal mode...Then changes to mostly less than 0 #s as well the higher numbers...Ive also have gone 90 deg to targets as well and get same reading.  So getting a bit frustrating...  I have threshold at 0, sensitivity at 20 or less, 2 breaks less than 0 for ferrous (volume at lowest setting) and then above 0 for non ferrous, recovery speed at 2 ....is there just too much trash and am i better just to go to a park to learn?  there also seems to be a lot of black sands and small pebbles that are magnetized as well as a magnet picked up a lot..and my pinpointer was going off like crazy and i couldn't even find the target  I know Im all over place here but a little guidance would be much appreciated! thanks!
    • By nordic
      Hi there,
      Thought to ask, perhaps it is obvious, but I don't know, are there conditions when GB can be negative, or why ML allow it to go negative? As you know it can be in range -9  to 99. I've never seen it going below 0.
      Many thanks!
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Since this is an Equinox forum, people may assume it is supposed to be all sunshine and roses. The truth is I love well written critical commentary. The problem with most negative posts about detectors is they come down to "I saw a video somebody posted and that machine sucks". Personally, I see minimal value in that sort of thing.
      What I want to see here is posts and reviews from people who A. have actually run the detector and B. can offer straight up critique without the extraneous "boy, how dumb can they be" commentary. What do you like, what did you not like. What worked well, what does not work well, and why. Things to do, things to avoid. Whatever. It's not that you have to heap praise - if you don't like something for some reason then simply explain why.
      Here is the first review I did on a Nokta product. Notice I mentioned several things about the machine I was not wild about. I did not beat the company up for it - just stated the facts as seen from my perspective. Notice I went back later and also commended the company for later addressing those very issues.
      Where is my similar review as regards Equinox? Can't do it until I have an actual production unit in my hands or assurance that what I have would match a production unit in every way. When the time comes I will do my thing, though it will not need quite the detail of the Nokta review just because so much of that stuff has been covered already here on the forum.
      Just wanted to get that out there. It is probably premature so I will bump this up again when units start shipping. All we want to know, all of us, is what people around the world think about various aspects. Some things will be great, some ok, and a few not ok. That's real, and real is all I ask for. Thanks! 
    • By lookfinders
      I have a eqinox 600,where i live is a 1700s site.been detecting it for 20 years with a number of high end machines,also buddies of mine detecting it,year before last pulled out 13 large cents with my atpro.just a little side note atpro not used in pro mode is useless,in pro mode its awesome totally different machine. but back to why im posting,everything im detecting is mostly in the teens,strong signal ,rotate around the target, still a strong signal,dig rusty nail.everytime.i have iron bias at 3. most targets are going to be below 13 inches that is where my atpro massed out.so my question is why the teen vdi numbers for iron and is there a way to get past the 13 inch mark. sidenote, the house I live was George washingtons surgeon during the revolutionary war. any help is greatly appreciated. 
    • By vanursepaul
      Looking for tips on detecting tailing piles...
      I have the Equinox 800 and the Minelab 5000.
      and a lot of trashy tailing piles to detect !!!  🤠
      _________________________________-
      BTW----- Looks like we are running low on masks 😷 and gowns here in LA--- but we will survive--
      Vets have been exposed to tougher stuff than this!!!

Carry on and thanks for any tips on the tailing piles..
      paul
    • By JohnnyRox
      Don't know if this has been posted before but worth watching.  Gets good at the 3:30 mark.