My First Metal Detector... Good Day For Me

Found this little 1.4 grainer today ...second with with my goldbug2.. Got a good deal on it ..needed some cosmetics but only paid $300 for it 2days ago and found gold today...found a bunch of other stuff too...I might go in the square nail business or maybe hot rocks...lol lol lol

But I'm happy and having a ball learning this machine...

post-552-0-56861200-1424151432_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Learning how to use it is like learning how a new language... Any tips would be awesomely appreciated... I live in n.Cali and the ground here is real hot (MD lingo) and I'm having a hard time keeping it balanced and I don't know if that's common for these machines... I'm wondering if coil change might help me ... It has the size up from the smallest one... They say that if u can learn how to use a GB2 u can learn anything...

Nice work! I started not long ago as well. It's very addicting! I bought a Gold Bug 2 for my wife but she keeps digging hot rocks with it. I've told her over and over to listen for the ZIP.... ZIP but it goes in one ear and out the other.  She never listens to what I tell her..... is this normal?  :) 

strick

I only run the smallest coil 6x3 and have good success, less mineralization to the detector, in real hot ground run the sensitivity down to about 5, doesn't hurt target ability, tighten up your threshold if its real noisy, get used to changing the ground balance often in  hot ground, it varies sometimes ever few ft, keep your thumb on the fine tune gb, you will get the hang of it fast enough. I run both switches down, and flip up to the iron id to check targets once found. If you get out of low mineral position or out of boost then you hurt the machines target abilities.  Its a great little machine.

• Like 1

The stock coil is fine, the small coil is even finer.  Start with the sens at about 75%...don't worry if you have to use a little less-at least until you learn the machine abit. Keep your thumb or finger on the fine-tune knob as you prospect, when the coil gives too much signal approaching the ground adjust it...same if it nulls too much. You want a steady hum on the treshold, just barely audible...

you will find "nuggets as small as 1/10 grain or maybe less if you are paying attention...

Nice gold

good luck

fred

• Like 1

Strick ...

Any tips on ground balancing and suggested coil size???

I have not used it much. I bought it for her. I have the sdc 2300  and I wont let that thing leave my hands LOL One of the other members would be better off answering that.